KSUSA Oceanside contest

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

fooj
Legend (Contribution King!)

KSUSA Oceanside contest

Post by fooj »

How did it go? How were the waves? Does anybody have details, pictures? Any spectacular moves?
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

It was alittle 2-3 foot swell with some alright sections. Theres was a nice turn out for being first heat of the day, by fellow kneelo's and there familys. Jack won it, Eric got second, Ed got third, and I got fourth. After the heat a bunch of us went down the beach and took over on a couple of peaks and scored some really fun surf, it got better as the morning went along. It was really nice to have people who came down for a 7:00am heat on a Sunday. Very cool! KSUSA had prizes for the people in the contest, with there own award show. It seemed like everybody had a good time. Can't wait for the event in November, the word on the streets is that its going to go off!

Ler
stemple

Post by stemple »

The november event could be great. That time of year is the best for moderate to large well groomed swells hitting the northern CA coast (6 foot @ 15-17 seconds is pretty common). The potential for excellent surf is good. The weather can be downright awesome with off shore flow being common. If it gets good, surfing PP in overhead surf with just a few guys out will be unreal (well worth the entry fee). Also if the swell is good there are many breaks within a 15 minute drive that can rock. These vary from classic points to desolate, isolated, gnarly rocky reefs. Mavs can start breaking in the early fall and it is about 45 minutes north for anybody bold enough. It should be a great venue to have the contest. I can't wait

Stemple
Jack Beresford

Kudos

Post by Jack Beresford »

I'll second Mike's kudos to the folks who showed up early on Sunday to support the finalists. Also thanks to Tom, Mark and the others who helped pull this together. Sponsorship by Bud McCray (new board), Victory Wetsuits and others was awesome!

Eric Shoelkopft went back to the venue at the end of the day to pick up the trophies. He said he'll bring them to the next gathering.

All in all a great showing and a good momentum builder for Pleasure Point. You can say what you want about Footboarder-run contests but it's nice to have this opportunity each year. My favorite moment from the final was when they sang the National Anthem as we paddled out for the first heat of the day. That's a first for me (I didn't know whether to turn around and face the flag or keep paddling over the sets).
Jack Beresford
MWROBERTSON

Oceanside Event

Post by MWROBERTSON »

:D
I 3rd al these replies! The contestants showed a lot of dedication and enthusiasm by being down for the final event at 7am. All the finalists surfed well and gave it there all.

It was a proud moment when after the final, we had a private awards ceremony where Jack, Eric, Ed and Mike held up the KSUSA banner. I was an MC of sorts and awarded prizes to the guys as everyone else gathered around and cheered the finalists efforts.

Prizes were:

1. Custom Board from Buddy Mc Cray- Blast Hawaii-BIG THANKS!
2. Wetsuit from Victory/Mark Splinari-Tom Linn's old friend.
3. Framed poster of a Woody Woodworth barrell- compliments of Woody & Bruce Royer of Creation Captured
4. Hats' T-shirts and surf trunks from Hurley-thanks Mike Butler
5. Bob Welch, personally made custom KSUSA logo magnets and mouse pads-thanks Bob!

Cheers to all that came down to spectate and give support to our group. We had at least 15 others there during the awards.

After the event 10 guys went down the beach and WENT OFF! on glassy, improving 3-5ft low tide peaks.

This support and dedication illustartes how we've come along way in a short period of time.

See you all at the next gathering!
fooj

Post by fooj »

It sounds like it was fun. Hopefully November goes off for everyone there.
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

contest

Post by Craig »

I was so stoked to see so many from the Kneelo tribe @ the contest, and to have a opportunity to surf w/ many of you was really sepcial. We had a great soul sesion out there. Jack you rocked along w/ the rest of crew that entered the contest you did us proud. I have to talk to Eric about a (Jack) board for the quiver. Can't wait for next gathering.
Forever a Grimmy CR
WayneK

KSUSA Oceanside Contest

Post by WayneK »

Watching the contest was cool 8) .....BUT, the best part for me was the post contest "free-surf session". The comradery in the water was great and the chance to swap boards topped it all off; thankyou Jack and Greg for the "road-test." See you all at the August event.
SFKneelo

Kudos!!!

Post by SFKneelo »

Just got back from the trip down there.
It was great to see such a turnout at the event.
Many thanks to Tom, Mark, Don, Eric, Paul, and all the sponsors!!!
(and anyone else that chipped in...)
And a big congrats to all the competitors, particularly Jack, who
got a hall pass from new Daddy duties!