November Contest @ PP

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

November Contest @ PP

Post by gsurf »

The contest at the "Point" in November sounds like fun. Have'nt surfed in a contest since the old "underdog" contests years ago- Man, did I just date myself or what. But I'll have a go at this one. Any other PP regulars plannning to do it? Kneeboard Tom, Slim?? westside guys?
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Yeah, gsurf - It looks like John Mel, the Manss brothers, Paul Wuslich and quite a few other Santa Cruz County KBers are going to participate.

We're still pulling in prizes for the contest, raffle and goodie bags. It looks like we're up to 5 new KBs already - some for contest prizes and some for the raffle. I'm working on securing wetsuits, shoes/sandals, travel bags, fins and whatever I can to make sure that everyone is a winner in one form or another.

I'm also working on creating a KB exhibit for the Surfing Museum. So if you have any old home movies, still phoots, old time KBs, local made paipos or mats, let me know. I plan on preserving everything on cd and onto dvd. That way historical data can be stored in the museum's archives, be available for other exhibits in the future and never be lost.

Dan Young
kbing since plywood days
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

This event should be awesome! We have Pleasure Point to ourselves for a day and a half, tons of prizes and giveaways, evening get togethers at the local pub. Also everyone is guaranteed at least four heats, that's a minimum of an hour of intense surfing in empty Pleasure Point. Also, Dan Young has lined up an artist to do a cool poster. We also expect the event to well documented by professional photographers and videographers. We may have a handful of guys come out from Oz, Hawaii and the East Coast as well.

However, we have got to have significant participation from the kneelo community to make this event a success. The cost of putting on the event is sizeable and we need at least 40 participants for the event to make financial sense. Several people have contributed time and money to make this event happen. Hopefully we will have a strong turnout so that we can make this an annual happening.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I agree. The entry fee of $66 bucks is cheap to have the point to ourselves. Hey look at this way if you go skiing/boarding for a day it will cost you $58 to stand in line and the snow may suck. Even if its a powder day it ussually is tracked up by 10 am anyway. You also have to drive to the mountains.

This contest will be a way more positive, you will meet new people maybe even learn their real names, discuss global geo political issues, rage against the corporate giants, debate the finer points of the fin forward design, find out who has the shortest stick, and you may just get some great waves. What more could you want. OK babes (or male models if you prefer) and beer would be nice too.

I for one have already signed up to be heat fodder for the rest of you guys and gals.

P.S. Will EQkneelo being handing out beefcake shots so we all can wax them onto our boards before we go out? :wink:
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

OK, I just flat out don't know anything about contests. How many people are in a "heat"? Everybody? Divided up between how many enter? Is there a limit on how many can enter?
Speaking of which how come all the standups are going to stay out of the water for a day and a half? This is my regular break and they are not usually so cooperative. Maybe it's my social skills.
I would like to enter just to be supportive and maybe score some raffle swag but on the other hand I don't want to clog up the lineup with my very sucky style of kneeboarding. That is if people are are really serious about competing. Just how funky can the AA level get?
Please enlighten this dim :idea:
stemple

Post by stemple »

Tom, Don et all,

Is there any way you can post a running total of registered contestants as the time approaches? Who are the judges (and do they have numbered swiss accounts so some of us less skilled competitors can help them cover their "expenses") and how is it judged?

Kage,
Don't feel stupid I too know almost nothing about contests as well. I have never even thought of being in one before but it sounds fun. By the way the Santa Cruz Sentinal already announced the contest in a July 13 article and stated that sewer peak would be closed for the contest. However, they wrongly called it the world championships.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Kage- We very much need everyone's support and participation. A strong turnout for the event will allow us to turn this kneeboard festival into an annual event. Maybe even bring the '06 World Contest to Santa Cruz. Don't be concerned about your surfing skills, the AA event and double elimination format is set-up to encourage everyone to try something new and have fun in the process. Our goal is that everyone, regardless of skill level has fun in a contest environment.

In response to your questions:
1. A heat consists of 4 to 6 people surfing for 15 to 20 minutes. Top 2-4 waves are scored. Number of people in a heat, length of heat, number of waves is decided by the contest directors based on number of entries, time the venue is available, and size and quality of the waves.
2. The other surfers in the water will have to clear out becuase the KSUSA and the WRSA have purchased a permit from the city of Santa Cruz for exclusive use of Pleasure Point on 11/7,8 and 9. We will have a water patrol consisting of local surfers in the water to gently pursuade any offending surfer to go someplace else.
3. At this time I am uncertain if we will place a limit on the number of entries. The time allocated for our event will allow 32-42 surfers to compete assuming double elimination first rounds and assuming everyone competes in two events. Perhaps, if we had enough participation, we can expand the contest to include Thursday for those who were not among the first 32 to enter. Best to enter now to insure that you surf on Friday.

Please feel free to post any other questions that you might have. I'm sure many others have similar questions. cya in the H2O................Tom
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Sid (stemple) asked, "Is there any way you can post a running total of registered contestants as the time approaches? Who are the judges (and do they have numbered swiss accounts so some of us less skilled competitors can help them cover their "expenses") and how is it judged?"

Regarding the number of entries- As of today we have only five entries. We need more ASAP. I will update this forum regularly with the number of entries.

Regarding judges- We will be using professional judges that regularly judge stand-up surf contests. We may be using one ASP certified judge from Santa Cruz as well. Scoring is generally based on the quality of moves, tricks, turns, etc. that are completed successfully. Modern judging does not reward long rides on good waves if no moves are completed. Groveling won't get you any points either. We can have one of the judges speak to the entire group to educate them on the judging creteria.
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Does anyone know if we can mail in the entry form and money order for the Nov. contest or does it have to be Online. I would like to mail it in ASAP. Thanks!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Mike,
Don Harris has a manual entry form nearly ready for distribution. e-mail him to get a copy. You can get his e-mail address from the memberlist in this webiste. You can mail in the money with the entry form. Also, feel free to give copies to anyone interested in participating the the Santa Cruz Gathering/Contest.

cya in Santa Cruz..................Tom
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Consider it done!
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

It will be interesting to see a couple of riders from the south up here. Hope for clear weather, solid swell, and bring your warmest wetsuit. Unfortunately Sewer Peak breaks best on southerly swells but it can still be fun in the winter. I , my brother and Paul W will definately be there. I'm trying to reach a few others from the crew. Jon
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

It will be interesting to see a couple of riders from the south up here. Hope for clear weather, solid swell, and bring your warmest wetsuit. Unfortunately Sewer Peak breaks best on southerly swells but it can still be fun in the winter. I , my brother and Paul W will definately be there. I'm trying to reach a few others from the crew. Jon
Don
Admin

Mail-in Registration form...

Post by Don »

All,

Attached is a copy of the mail-in registration form. It is also linked on the home page.

PM me with any Q's.

Cheers,

Don
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Don Harris
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Hey Jon, I think the boys from down south will adjust just fine. One day last winter, I think January, the water got down to 62 degress and it wasn't fully sunny (a couple gray clouds) and I still surfed. I stayed out almost a full half hour. My friends were tripping out. See you in November.