November Contest @ PP

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Don
Admin

Water temps in November...

Post by Don »

Ler,

As we prepare for our surf season, September is an Amber month, October is a Porter month and November we charge into the Stout. I recommend this training regiment after years of refinement. Perhaps you SoCal'ers should escalate the program and move straight to Stouts in October.... You'll be able to stay out longer and wear a 3/2.

Ler, you might get away with a spring suit :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry, couldn't resist!!)

See you for the Ncal vs. Scal challenge... dates and time to be announced.
Don Harris
Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

Contest

Post by Ler »

Nice, I already started that progam this morning. Two stouts and some raw eggs. Go SoCal...
DarcyM

training

Post by DarcyM »

I've surfed Santa Cruz in the winter. My training advice, skip the beer and go straight to the rum. Start at 9 am for appropriate acclimatization and that warm inner glow ...

:oops:

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Ler
Thats rich. It's funny you should mention 62 degrees. thats exactly the temp right now ,down right balmy. I remember visiting friends in Seal Beach one winter and while talking to a few of the locals they were all amazed we could surf in such extreme conditons. I was standing there totally tan from another mild winter. and all I could do was agree with them that yes it was really tough but some one has to do it. Jon
stemple

cold water

Post by stemple »

Nov. water temps should be down right balmy. Now come surf in early may after two weeks of howling NW winds. Can you say upwelling. Water temp can easily get down to low 50's.

Don it is right. you so. calers should only bring spring suits and lighter suits for better flexibility. It might give you that needed edge.
Matt
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

International ok ?

Post by Matt »

I see the form has a space for "country" outside USA does this mean a Canadian could enter ?

Ill be coming down anyway but I would pay $60.00 to get the point to myself :)

ill bring my summer suit... 5mm :twisted:
goat_cheeser

Post by goat_cheeser »

I might be interested but I have never surfed in a contest (I was always too busy getting waves :-D) and I have never surfed north of the Ranch.

Since I do not expect to win anything, how much water time will I get?

What kind of break is Pleasure Point? Is it primarily a face ride or does it have a hollow section?

Thanks,
Jamie

BTW - Since I have hit 40, I always carry my winter suit of blubber one me! :?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jamie - The Point is a typical point wave - a lot of face but with some bowly sections.

A lot of the KBers that are going to participate have rarely surfed in a contest situation - the last KB contest I was in was in 1972! I think Don said a contestant would be guaranteed 3 or 4 surfs in the contest.

But the best part is that the Santa Cruz area has some really great waves to surf besides The Point. And the real idea of the contest is to just get together with other twisted KBers! November is a wonderfl time of year here, just as powerful NWs start reeling into our coastline. No mater how big it is, there is always someplace to ride.

Its also a great place for family/girlfriends, etc. A lot of touristy things to do plus great food and wine. I'll be posting a lot more exact info within the next week so everyone can have a better idea what to expect from our area. You can check the Contest Page for a few touristy URLs that I've already posted.

And the water isn't that cold in November. I just went out body surfing sans wetsuit and was never cold.
kbing since plywood days
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Here's answers to the questions asked a few posts ago:

1. The KSUSA Titles are an OPEN contest. That means anyone from anywhere can enter. We would love to have some international competitors. A handful of Aussie kneelos have expressed tentative interest in attending. It would be great to have a Canadian as well.

2. Every contestant is guaranteed at least 4 heats. That's a minimum of four intense 15 minute surfs starting from the water. We may have 20 minute heats if time permits. Pleasure Point is usually quite crowded. So the chance to surf it for hour or more with only 4-6 of your friends in the water is pretty cool.

3. Only a handful of California kneeboarders have surfed in contests over the last 10 years for a variety of reasons. One reason is there have been very few contests to surf in!! The Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival will only be a success if we can attract NEW guys to get involved. There are just not enough kneelos with contest experience in California to justify the cost of acquring a premier break like Pleasure Point. For this reason we have structured the event to be fun for the novice competitor. The AA event gives the newbies a forum to achieve some success and to compete in a less intense environment.

Lastly, as Dan pointed out, the contest is only one part of the Festival. At the US Champs several guys said the best part of the contest was the free surf in fun surf after the contest. I'm also pretty fond of swilling brews with the bros in the evenings. Certain watering holes will be disignated meeting places for the kneelo brethren. Hopefully we can play kneelo videos on the big screen, review the results of the days surfing, and observe the local talent.

cya in the H2O..............Tom
Matt

thanks Tom

Post by Matt »

Thanks Tom, for the info re the contest is "open".

hope others realize that "open" means everyone welcome !

See you guys in November

Matt
stemple

Post by stemple »

Tom,

What about adding a clydesdale sub-category for us big guys over 200 lbs. Some of us are not as skinny and flexible as we used to be.
Poidog
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

sub-category

Post by Poidog »

stemple wrote:Tom,

What about adding a clydesdale sub-category for us big guys over 200 lbs. Some of us are not as skinny and flexible as we used to be.
in my case it would be the "oh my god its moving towards me" category . (still a moke in cali.)
aloha,
Big Russ
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

We could offer a lifetime achievement award to "The Kneelo We Would Least Like To Be Run Over By". The trophy would a triple/triple from In 'n Out Burger.
Jon Manss

re stemple

Post by Jon Manss »

You could try calling it The Big Mac Award but I think there might be some name infringement issues. Hey did you hear the Nov. contest area will be posted as a handicap zone for the days of 11/7/03 and 11/8/03.
Jon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Ha HA HA , Jon. You'e always been a funny boy!

We could always put on those orange construction vests and post signs:

"Caution: 1/2 men ahead"
kbing since plywood days