November Contest @ PP

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

Because the November contest is a festival as well. Is anyone out there interested in a board swap meet? I have a board that I would be willig to trade to try something new, Maybe a slightly used Blast Quad in the 6' range. The Board is John Mel 5'11" quad, with a channel bottom in perfect condition.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

If anyone has a financial difficulty with the entry fee or costs of lodging while in Santa Cruz please contact me at tklinn@aol.com. Hopefully we can locate free or very cheap lodging and maybe we can find someone to sponsor your entry into the contest.

I'm renting a hotel suite nearby for $80 per night. The suite sleeps 4 which means 10-15 guys could stay there. Contact me if you want some floor space.
DK
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DK »

Tom,
You will be eligible for a bravery award if you share a unit with 10-15 other kneelos. Ive done it and it aint pretty.
Heaps of fun of course.
scoop

sponsors

Post by scoop »

Tom

Im in if it includes the airfare from oz.....only abot $1500 aussie return...so about $1000 US at current exchange.....Im worth bringing ove cause im no threat to the competition......if i have it right...i came equal last in the worlds.....hows that for a resume....but it was my first real comp ( I only went for thr T-Shirt)

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Poidog

PP

Post by Poidog »

hey guys, how do i get to the contest from the san gabriel valley? im close to the 10 and 60 freeways. any help would be appreciated.
aloha,
Big Russ
Ler

???

Post by Ler »

Hi Poidog, Get to I-5 North, to the 152 West (toward Gilroy), then take Highway 1 towards Santa Cruz. Piece of cake. If you feel like a scenic route take the 101 North, to Highway 1, very nice drive, just a little longer. Have fun and don't make any garlic jokes in Gilroy.

Ler
Poidog

directions to PP

Post by Poidog »

thanks alot mike
aloha,
Big Russ
stemple

Post by stemple »

It is faster to cutover from I-5 to 101 at Paso Robles then come up Highway 101 through Salinas. Watch out for 10 miles on either side of King City! There is Highway patrol sub station and the only donut place for miles, giving it a well deserved rep for being a speeding ticket hot spot. Speed at your own risk.
DarcyM

Driving to Santa Cruz

Post by DarcyM »

Hey Poi Dog -

Don't take Hwy 1 unless you plan on another hour and possibly more travel time, depending on how many winnebago's you get caught behind and if there's any road closures. Hwy 101 can be equally frustrating in places, but no comparison to the 91 at any time of day. As for Hwy 1, it's a fantastic, beautiful drive, and I'd recommend that anyone who has the time do it, but it's a slow go in places. Plus there's all the turn outs where you just have to stop and gaze in awe at the coastline. 101 is more of a straight shot, through garlic land in Gilroy and past the Madonna Inn and the lovely King City feedlots, as well. It has it's own inner beauty ...

take the long way home ...
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Poidog

directions to PP

Post by Poidog »

to all,

thanks for all the help w/the directions on how to get to the contest. i dont plan to enter, but i do plan to get wet.... see you guys and gals out there.
aloha,
Big Russ
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hey, Russ - Go ahead and enter. This is supposed to be about fun. I'm going to enter and I gave up competitive sports back in 1971. Being able to surf The Point 3 or 4 times without the usual cast of characters clogging the line up is worth the entry fee.

And you just never know who will actually win.....
kbing since plywood days
Poidog

PP

Post by Poidog »

hey surfhorn,

thanks for the encouragement, but i plan to bring my camera and take pictures of the contest. then after that i will paddle out and "get some". :wink:
aloha,
Big Russ
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Poidog - November is a great time for early morning photography in Santa Cruz. The late afternoon is mostly good for back-lit, mood style shots.

26th Avenue, in particular, is situated just right so that the early rising sun illuminates the entire wave face so a rider is completely 'lit'. And the reef break is close to shore so that a 300mm lens is almost too much.
kbing since plywood days
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Well thats how life is I suppose!!!!!
Ever since the PP contest has been organised, I've been doing my best to juggle things up and make it over from the UK for the week. Seems that there are 3 main stakeholders that needed convincing:
1) Me - do I really want to fly half way around the world, to surf a premier point break with just 3 other guys in the water and meet a bunch of dedicated kneelos? OK, so that took longer to type than to answer!!!
2) Work - need the time off. No problems there, enough leave due and and its over our quite time of the year. Sweet.
3) The wife. As I'm sure most of you who are married, trying to convince the other half that leaving them at home while you travel around the world surfing is somehow good for the relationship is not an easy feat!!! And this after spending 2 weeks in western Aus earlier this year while the missus was home in London. (Don't get me wrong here, we do go on holidays together!!! :oops: )
So over the last month I've been dropping subtle hints, slowly breaching the subject, slipping it into conversation here and there without fully confronting it. So yesterday I decide it was crunch time - go for the final answer!!! After a couple of hours of deliberation my wonderful wife decides that me going surfing is a lot better than hearing about me wanting to go surfing, and the green light is on!! All systems go.
Hopped on the net, tracked down the cheap flights and cheap car hire (resered but not paid) when in the back of the head, the 7 November suddenly starts to sound like a rather familiar date for some reason. About 30 minutes later it clicks - 3rd Wedding Aniversary!!!
Doh!!! Was all that came to mind. Prudence, better judgement, did she realise this when granting leave (I think not)!!!
So I am unselfishly for once going to put my relationship ahead of my surfing, and spend my 3rd Anniversary with my loving wife. So when you guys are dropping in on empty PP, spare a thought for me in cold London celebrating my other love and dreaming of the empty barrel!!!!
On your knees, if you please
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

legend effort
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather