Santa Cruz Contest Accomodations

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Santa Cruz Contest Accomodations

Post by DavidW »

Anyone out there have any recommendations on where to stay close to the contest site. B&B's or decent family hotels preferred.
Thanks,
Dave.
Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

hotel reply

Post by Jon Manss »

Dave, the Best Western, Capitola by the Sea at 831- 477- 0607 ranges from 139.00 to 199.00 and 20% off with AAA card. There five blocks away from Pleasure Point. My favorite motel is a little more "earthy or seedy" but it is right on a cove and beach that's fun for the family. I'm checking on prices at the Sunny Cove Motel at 831-475-1741 and will post them as soon as they get back to me or call them yourself. Jon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

My wife and I have contacted quite a few motels in the area (including Best Western Capitola and Sunny Cove Inn- cool little place).

We have been negotiating deals for participants and will reserve blocks of room at various places then pass the info on to you. We're looking at discounts below winter rates. Individuals can then call and make their own reservations.

Also, there have been offers from local KBers to host people in their homes. We'll also have that list up and going soon.

If anyone has specific requirements (walking distance; family oriented, etc) just let me know and we'll try to accomodate your request.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Dan, what you are doing is great! If I come w/o my family I'll probably dirt bag it. However, I may bring my wife and kids, so, family oriented would be helpful.
Thanks again,
Dave.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Dave - There will definitley be things for the family. A surf friend of mine is the PR person at the Boardwalk so I plan on putting together discount packages for that venue as well as other fun places.

Santa Cruz is a great place to explore in the Fall. I'll have all the tourism web sites poted ASAP so everyone can pick and choice to do whatever floats their KB.....maybe a quick MA surf at Moss folowed by a visit to the Grisdich Ranch to pick-yourself apples and a piece of their fantastic apple pie and a cup of coffee. And there are also some kiler wineries. There will not be a lack of things to do!

All the best,
Dan
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

..and maybe I'll slow down enough to type correctly and not be so 'Lisdexic'.............
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

Santa Cruz

Post by DarcyM »

I've been debating whether to make the long trek north for this. PP is such a nice wave, that alone should be worth it, but I'm struggling with time and costs right now. All the cool folks and bonus goodies and the potential for lots of out of surf activities are very enticing. Unfortunately my fav camping spot at New Brighton beach is closed this fall.

Anyone of you locals know of a good camp site nearby that can accommodate a tent trailer? That would be my best chance to go, if I come up.

Any info would be appreciated - thanks!
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Scott

Camping In The Santa Cruz Area

Post by Scott »

Darcy,

For camping in the area, provided you are not able to get reservation at state campsites such as Manreca or Sunset (did you check for availability at Sunset? It's much larger than Manreca), there is a KOA right across the street from Sunset State Beach. I've stayed there quite a few years ago and the outfit was well run, just a bit pricey compared to the State park system and not nearly as picturesque.

Some web info on them can be gleaned from: http://www.koa.com/where/ca/05113.htm

Scott

http://www.koa.com/where/ca/05113.htm