Australian Championships

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Australian Championships

Post by red »

Official Surfing Australia titles held last week.
$220 to enter: 8 kneeboarders, 3 heats, 1 champ
Semis in 2' slop at Bells Beach
Final in 6' Bells on Friday

Won by Matt Gallagher (NSW)
2nd Gavin Coleman (NSW)
3rd Mic de Stasio (Vic)

Congratulations guys.

Comment: If you charge $220, ask competitors to be at the venue for a week, don't provide a timetable of events and only get 8 kneeboarders, can you seriously call the kneeboarders apathetic without considering the value for money of the service you're providing?

Kneeboarding Australia hold a 2 day contest, pay for judges, prize money, multiple rounds with 64 entrants and attract guys from interstate - and only charge $70 - and they don't even get government support or big sponsorships?
:D for Klingon and the boys. Big hearts, generous souls.
Anthony B
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Anthony B »

Congrats to the guys in the final and yes Red that is a big ask to compete in that comp.
ross

Post by ross »

Hey red thanks for posting the results 8)
Congratulations to the lads for making the finals.

Sorry in advance to our American friends as alot of what is to follow is concerned with a few Australian matters.

Interesting(and fair) comments by Red about the pros and cons of Surfing Australia contests as opposed to KSA run events.

Before i say anything i'd like to mention that i totally agree that the dollar value of the KSA contests is good and i also agree that anyone who volunteers their time to run these things is a legend. So what i have to say isn"t designed to upset anyone.Think of me as an avid fan of the kneeboarding medium.
First off i'd like to discuss the way in which our state reps are to be decided in future.(as explained on the KSA site).
The concern of this new ruling is that it is going to put a stop to surfers coming out of the woodwork and blowing up in their regional titles. Thus earning their right to a position in the state competition.

In the NSW titles this year one of the finalists had barely ridden a kneeboard for twenty years and did very well.He beat former Aussie champs and world champs along the way,so he didn't just get lucky.

I reckon thats bloody excellent! We should welcome that kind of ability back into the fold, not create rules to lock it out.

Now i understand that it has always been KSA strategy to have some kind of control over who does or does not enter external/prestige events.the reasoning being that it will bolster numbers in its own sanctioned contests.Not an entirely bad idea.But realistically the numbers in the contests seem much the same as they were through the late 80's/early 90's. So i do wonder if that "control strategy " is very effective.

Another thing lost under the new state selection ruling is the opportunity for kneeboarders to be judged by a body that is completely impartial to any politcs that way or may not exist inside the kneeboarding realm. Dedication,time and travel put in by a competitor is irrelevent in these contests.A decision made purely on what goes on during a heat.
In terms of entry money for the Aussie titles, were the kneelos charged any more than anyone else?
I just question the wisdom of seperating ourselves from our surfing brothers, it may well further alienate us. Besides when are kneeboard contests ever going to be held in locations like Margaret River, Bells Beach, Snapper or Jakes point (as the Aussie titles have been)?
Makes it almost worth the entry to surf some of those spots with 4 blokes out.(ok Bells is crap but Winki is always an option :lol: )

I apologise if anyone is upset by me airing these thoughts publicly on a foriegn website. But there is no forum to do so within Australia. Being a public issue, it really is best it's discussed in public :wink:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Er... I don't mind. It's our village. And it takes AT LEAST the village to edjumicate us! :wink: :D
K-man

Post by K-man »

No apology necessary,This is a ''worldwide'',community oriented site,Let'er rip!...Not that many of us,gotta hang tight.

cheers
stevea

australian championships

Post by stevea »

ross, im in total agreement with you ,just wondering if surfing australia is helping to send say the current aussie champ to the worlds
MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

Ross,
I'm with you on this one as I am also of stevea. I'd like to further add to this, in that who represented Qld if anyone in the Aussie?As there is no kneeboard division in the Qld Regionals.Surfing Qld pretty much don't recognise kneeboarding and has not done so since the "Worlds" up here.Yep, we pay fees and we get crap out of it, not even for that matter, a thing called..... respect. I have rang Surfing Qld several times to get information and can't get anybody to give me credible info....they suck!!

Onya's,
Meat
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Meat,
How are you guys on the Sunny Coast
Just a quik hello regards.

Fruit-Bat
MEAT

Post by MEAT »

Hi Fruitbat,
All things are good up here.....no drama's.There's been some good surf around.We did good at Gate 13, Kawana this morning....4ft clean S'Werly offshore,good banks,no crowd, just 2 k/bers (myself and Darryl Schilling)...................maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! Hopefully we'll get some more good stuff there tomorrow morning ..fingers and giblets crossed.
How're they hang'in where you are??..Alls good I hope??
Catchya Fruity,
Stay well and stay happy,
Uncle Meat.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Meat I agree with you on surfing qld, useless as, but do you expect anything different from when they did have a KB section. You had standups judging us and mostly they wern't even watching. Only crips after all. I find it's better to not let it worry you. Just go surfing when & where u want, usually get better waves AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!