Note to All competitors... Comp starts on Thursday!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Is someone going to tell our warm water friends that wetsuits make you half as buoyant.
A lot of island boys have drown the first time they wore a thick fullsuit because they were not prepared for the weight, or the extended hold-down. I would suggest they wear life-preservers...at least for the first few heats.
EQ

:twisted:
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Ed, you have a good sense of humor.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

The competition starts NOW!
:twisted: EQ
gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by gsurf »

You may also want to tell our warm water friends that they can expect to get only half a breath before duck diving because their balls are going to pulled up into the chest after hitting the cold water.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Don't forget that colder water has a higher density. It slams you much harder then you think
Poidog

Post by Poidog »

thats it guys, im just takeing pictures. all i have is a 3mm "shorty" :x
aloha,
Big Russ
Craig

Contest

Post by Craig »

Come on Poidog! These guys are just talk'en Nor. cal smack! I expect to see your Aloha Butt in a wet suit. Game on brother!

Still a Grom!
sTiLl a gRoM
stemple

Post by stemple »

oh, I forgot to mention that the NorCal buoys are 12 feet @13 secs right now. Most northwest facing breaks are in the 15 to 20 foot range. Ain't no channel island shadow up here. Game definately on!!
Poidog

wetsuit

Post by Poidog »

anybody got an XXL or XXXL 4/3 full wetsuit for sale?
aloha,
Big Russ
Smokin Rock

geev um

Post by Smokin Rock »

Big Russ,
don't let the no.cal guys psych you out, everyone knows their heads have been submerged in freezing water for too long. as why they act lolo. geev um for the kauai boyz. all in fun eh....
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Poidog

Re: geev um

Post by Poidog »

big isle wrote:Big Russ,
don't let the no.cal guys psych you out, everyone knows their heads have been submerged in freezing water for too long. as why they act lolo. geev um for the kauai boyz. all in fun eh....

howzit mike, the guys out here seem to be pretty cool and im not getting psyched out, its just that i have never owned a wetsuit untill i moved here to cali. and thats just a shorty. and i never liked to surf out here in the winter because its way to cold.(i've lived such a sheltered life on kauai) :wink:
but if i can find a full wetsuit 4m/3m in my size for a decent price
then its on. other than that im not about to spend 3 bill$ for a new suit to surf this winter.i will have to save my nickle and dimes for a new suit for next winter. if these N.Cal. guys rip with full a wetsuit on, i can just imagine what they can do in a tropical setting.
anyway cold water vs warm water its all good.

hey ler,
i hope your ready to represent
the S.CAL kber up north in the cold
,cold water of PP
aloha,
Big Russ
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

poidog,
don't take me too seriously. i have all the respect in the world for those guys. 50 degree water, huge waves and big sharks. you have to be a little crazy to thrive in those conditions. you also have to be a real waterman. there will always be a rivalry between no. and so. california. it's gone on for time out of mind so remember it's all in good fun. surfing in a 4/3 is no easy task either. it fills up with water and adds like 15#'s to your body weight. paddling is more difficult. all said, go get em! and also GO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Poidog

PP

Post by Poidog »

hey mike,

its all good brah.(camaraderie)
even when its bad.(cold,cold water)
aloha,
Big Russ
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm glad everyone understands this 'rivalery' is all in good fun. After KBing all my life, where I rarely saw another KBer, I am always stoked to see fellow KBers - no matter where they are from. Santa Cruz used to have a East v. West thing going for years, but that was between the standuppers. We KBers are all friends and coharts in crime!

RE: Water Temp.

Don't make too much about water temp. Its about 57 degrees right now but the air temp is gorgeous. We have offshores going and the air is about 70 degrees (at 11:30 AM) and rising and its sparklng clear out.

Take a look at a map and find Santa Cruz. Our region sits with an east/west orientation and we are sheltered by the Santa Cruz Mountains from northerly winds. The closeness of the mountains also helps to further heat the land and water.....and Pleasure Point has some of the warmest water temps in our entire area! The extensive kelp beds cut the afternoon winds - it can be howling outside and fairly glassy inside all day long.

RE: Wetsuits

We can get just about any size/style wetsuit anyone would need. We can probably find loners for those who don't want to plunk down $ right now. If people are interested in buying a new suit, let me know, and I can work out possible discounts with the manufacturers while you're here in Santa Cruz. We have access to Body Glove. Quiksilver, Victory and O'Neill - so we can dial you into the correct suit for your needs.

Don't worry about manueverability in wetsuits. The new materials are light years ahead of the old, clunky suits we had to wear past and new suits super warm in comparison.

Give us your needs and we'll see what we can do.

Dan Young
kbing since plywood days
Jon Manss

Dan

Post by Jon Manss »

What do you mean Dan there's no rivalry between knee boarders in Santa Cruz! Everyone knows the westside is the best side and the eastside is the least side. What side did you grow up on? Never mind I already know. Jon :lol: