Note to All competitors... Comp starts on Thursday!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Hey, Hey, Jon! Neither side- not West nor East!

Remember I'm a Watsonville boy and grew up surfing the beaches - Manresa to Moss Landing. About as far as I made into Santa Cruz regularly was the.......gulp..... the east side.

For those of you who don't know - Jon grew up about spitting distance - literally - from Mitchell's Cove and The Lane. Talk about a local.

Yeah, Jon!

Dan
kbing since plywood days
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

stemple wrote:oh, I forgot to mention that the NorCal buoys are 12 feet @13 secs right now. Most northwest facing breaks are in the 15 to 20 foot range. Ain't no channel island shadow up here. Game definately on!!

Bring it on!
gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by gsurf »

The surf picked-up quick late yesterday jumping to solid 6-8ft by sunset.
Two KBer's out. Myself and a guy named "Mark"
Water has cooled considerably. Time for a new 4/3.
Caveman

One Way or Another!!!

Post by Caveman »

:lol: I will be there :!:

Just got the application, finally!!!

Talked to John Mel, must be two weeks ago. Thought he was saving me a spot!! Found out yesterday he's been out of town ever since. His son gave me the info on this site. And now I'm scrambling to find sponsor!!!

Anyone know when John's coming back? Only 2 spot's left??!!

Talked to one of the PPNF's, so I will be there!!! Even if my application doesn't get in on time!!

~ ~ See ya, Eric

P.S... Still trying to figure out how to: upload pictures, add Avatar, and set the preferences to show the correct time!! What is Santa Cruz on GMT time? It's 10:50 am right now!!
Attachments
cave_surf.jpg
Surfing Suicides Nov2002.

Hope we get waves like last Nov!!!
LOL, I got some great Video of "Over Head Barrels" at both The Harbor & The Point!!
(17.39 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Eric - John will be back next week on Weds 10/22.

If you have KBing video/film, I could really use it for the KBing exhibit I'm putting together for the surfing Museum. I would like to copy your footage to DVD; easy to show and great for preservation of the footage.

Thanx,
Dan
kbing since plywood days
Jon Manss

Hi Eric

Post by Jon Manss »

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Caveman! Get Eric in the contest Don. It wouldn't be right to have a northern Ice age type contest without a caveman. See you in November Eric. Jon
Don
Admin

Open Division Round 1 Heats posted...

Post by Don »

All,

We have the heats drawn up for the Santa Cruz comp for Open - Round 1. We'll be posting the general heat schedule later today... now that the site is back !

We will have nightly meetings at Tiny and Alba's Pizza 1501 41st Avenue Santa Cruz 475-4450

... more soon!
Don Harris
DM

contest

Post by DM »

hey Don --

what's the surf forecast for the week? Weather has possible rain on Friday and maybe earlier too. What's the water temp at up there now?

my travel plans are not yet set, but I'd like to see you all up there if I can make it ... If I can't -- good luck to all the participants!

dm
scoop

Post by scoop »

so are us aussies southsiders?????

Tony

PS...2 more sleeps
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Scott

A Surf Forecast For The Gathering

Post by Scott »

what's the surf forecast for the week? Weather has possible rain on Friday and maybe earlier too. What's the water temp at up there now?

www.wetsand.com, a free service, has the following forecast for the Santa Cruz area as of Sunday, November 2nd. (Seems there are still a lot of variables at this time...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWELL SCHEDULE

Monday the 3rd the SW backs down, and wind swell will be increasing. Look for the NW wind swell to increase from 300 degrees with 8-10 foot surf, but only 11 second periods, wind, and the likelihood of rain.

Tuesday the 4th we’re expecting a burst of SW as the wind swell from the NW backs down. SW is about 2-3 while NW remains in the 5-8 foot range.

Wednesday the 5th the SW is expected to peak with similar size, and the NW wind swell is expected to back down into the 3-5 foot zone.

Thursday the 6th we’re expecting a burst of WNW ground swell from a system we’ve been tracking in the western Pacific since last week. So far this is not looking to bring in as much as expected with only 3-4 foot surf for west facing breaks, bigger on Friday. South facing breaks are expected to see continued southern hemi ground swell with similar size as Wednesday, 2-3.

Friday the 7th the WNW ground swell is expected to peak and the SW ground swell is looking persistent as well: 6-8 foot WNW, 2-3 SW.

Saturday the 8th is a toss up right now. Some models place wind swell along the coast associated with another storm front that could bring rain late in the week. This could increase size at west facing breaks into the chest to shoulder high + zone, but it’s a bit too early to call today. We’ll have confirmation on this in 48 hours once models have time to converge.

More details within the next 48 hours...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water temp is in the low 50's.

See y'all there.

Scott
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

For those of you looking for wetsuits, John at Freeline will make his 3mm rentals available plus there are some good deals on 4/3mm new suits. We're looking to drop the proce even more. Let us know your needs.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
stemple

Post by stemple »

I just checked the lastest NOAA forecast discussion (3 am this morning). They are looking for a rain event to start on thursday in the north bay and make its way down the coast. These types of storms tend cruise through the area within 6 to 8 hours with clearing or scattered showers following the main frontline. The winds also tend to swing around to the northwest after the main frontal band passes which means pleasure point is pretty sheltered from that wind direction.

There is a good chance that this thing will whip through on thursday night and give us plenty of windows for surf on friday and saturday.
scoop

the comp

Post by scoop »

hi guys

this comp is the bomb :D
the organisers can take a bow
along with judges and other helpers
the attitude of all the contestants was fantastic
looking from the outside .... you guys have something special building
here
it was worth every cent comming all this way and see great organisation
you guys rip
BACK YOUR SPONCORS
they have been totally over the top
all you guys owe them
to Don and John and all the other supporters...I lift my glass and sallute and say THANK YOU

this is only the begining 4 U guys

onwards & upwards

good luck in the finals guys

tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

Even as a mere spectator I agree it was an awesome event. Watching so many excellent kbrdrs is an education in technique. Winning the Freeline board didn't hurt either :D :D :D :D :D ( I've been out every day since I got it --SUPER-- board!)
THANKS to all the organizers and sponsers. Where are we going next year?