WORLD CONTEST STOKE

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

WORLD CONTEST STOKE

Post by alfredo zavala »

Hey everybody!
I just wanted to say how great it was to come up to the contest for the day and night!
As a kneelo up here on the Central coast, one doesn't see too many other brethren - and lets face it there is not a whole lot of us left. I've been kneeboarding since the late 70's and never stopped. It is just such a good vibe to be able to be surrounded by everything that you really dig but feel a little alone in. KSUSA is really changing all thatjust as Tom Linn mentioned during his winners speech. Thank all you guys so much from the bottom of my heart who made this contest and gathering happen. It really was a highlight of 2006-2007 for me.
Though I don't know alot of you guys,and am pretty new to the site, I did get to meet a few more and put some faces to the names. The party at the Coastline was a total blast and a great way to end the bash! Can't wait for next year.
Also a great big mahalo to all the Aussies,Kiwi's, and Brits who showed up with teams! Great surfing mates!!
Likewise, all the "internationals"! Gigs, the Puerto Ricans and Venezuela etc...
The only bummer of the event was that I didn't win Buddys board at the blasted raffle(excuse the pun)!Sweet!
Okay I'll stop with all the hubris and say that kneeboarders rule! And if you couldn't make it you missed out on an excellent time.

I think I may be ready for the next gathering. Jalama would be cool.

Thanks again and great to meet some of you. If you ever in these neck of the woods look me up.

It's all good

Fredo Z
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Last edited by JohnS on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Who could forget that??!!
Totally Classic!!
Also one of the highlights of that evening was the Kiwis speech. I think I got like 3 words!!
Fredo Z
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

In the beginning and in the end, to me.... it's about the people.

Got up a week early (Tues) and shared the last two nights with ManOWar and the crew. Surfed pumped for the next 7 days! A highlight was surfing Swift Street with 4 mat riders. Met a whole bunch of great people including Jamie from No.Carolina and Ross and Katrina Dillon from AUS. Ross works with Hart so got to ask a bunch of questions. (Ross and Kelvin Weir (NZ) knocked me into the Repercharge in round 1 of the Open). Got some great Lane on several evenings. There's a bunch of sand at Indicator and I got one ride halfway through Cowell's :shock: from inside Middle Peak. Got to meet the Aussie crew when they arrived and had a surf at Rockview and P.Point together. Jim Brown and Mark Ashby are cool and we hung together a bit. Had them both in Grandmasters round 2 and they eliminated both Jon Manns and I from that heat on Thursday. Many who were eliminated were not able to get waves in their heats. Sometimes the Slot had waves and at other times the sets were out in the middle. A bit frustrating if your strategy to sit in a spot failed, but it was fair for everyone. Heats were won by guys sitting in both spots throughout the event.

I surfed 7 heats and placed 2 or 3 in each. In at least 2 in which I advanced I was sure I was not going to so I was very stoked to have pulled through. Did not accomplish any goals except a general one to surf more than 3 heats (the minimum). Yet, my eyes were opened to see some excellent surfers from around the world, and some very smart surfers as well. Many of us are competent but to do well in competition we need to really get after it by being more radical and powerful in the hook and more creative overall, as the conditions allow.

Barry and Jack were outstanding, solid, and consistent. Many other US surfers had an outstanding contest as well. Randy Reed who just kept advancing is just one example. Jeff Martinez is another who had a great contest. He said a highlight for him was when I hooted for him in a heat and yelled "Go Jeff, Go Jeff" as he was scratching for a wave 8)

Roomed with Ed Dimick, BillL, Gavin and his friend Kiya Kelly (3rd in Women's) from Canada. It was a fun group with some funny moments-for sure.

The UK Team was great as well. They are stoked on kneeriding and surfed well throughout. Congrats to Jodi and Richard for their well-deserved Titles. Duncan and Hannah were fun to get to know as well. Keep your ears open for info on the British Titles later this year as Duncan said they'd get the word out to KSUSA this year.

Got to meet Hart and personally thank him for the cool FP and talk board design some. He's passionate and had a great time meeting everyone.

All in all a tremendous experience. As I was climbing up the rocks after my last heat (that I figured I did not make it out of) I just smiled and felt gratitude for the chance to challenge myself personally by competing and to meet so many great people from around the world who share my love of kneeriding in such a beautiful setting.

Thanks to KSUSA for an awesome World Titles and thanks to all of the international surfers for making the effort to get over for this event. Hopefully everyone can make it to New Zealand!