Photos of the 2007 World Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Photos of the 2007 World Titles

Post by DarcyM »

Hi all!

As I'm sure you've all noticed, I've been busy getting my photos edited and posted both here and at my commercial web site where you can purchase prints of the action. I'm almost done and have only the Open finals left to post, as well as some scenery and wildlife and local color photos. Joel Mayer is busy with his photos and has about 300 or so that we will be posting as well.

Right now I don't know exactly how Joel's photos will be organized, but my photos are divided by date and by heats. Each 20 minute heat or 30 minute final has all the photos from that heat posted under that day's event. If you open up the heat folder you'll see all the thumbnails, and the very first thumbnail will have a short list of the heat number, who's in the heat, what color singlet they were wearing, and the final results of the heat.

Even if you're not interested in buying a photo, it's fun to look at the heats and see not only the hot moves but a whole series of photos of an entire wave. The best way to view these is to go to the bottom of the page and increase the number of thumbnails that are displayed on one page. I usually choose "25 down" and "6 across", but your results may vary depending on your browser and screen size. I tried to get everyone in the heat, but didn't always succeed. If you were out on the point or in a location where the glare was really bad, I couldn't always get a good shot. Also I can only shoot one surfer at a time.

I also did not photograph all the heats. And try as I did to hold fast on the cliff, I did take some breaks now and then. But don't fret, because even though I didn't get the shot of you there's a possibilty that Joel did -- so check back soon.

Although the lighting was very challenging, I did my best to post all of the photos that are printable. The thumbnails you see on the screen are very compressed, but if you purchase a photo you will get a high quality color correct archival quality print. This is not my bread and butter, but it does help me continue to photograph kneelo events and to buy and use equipment that allows me to do so with quality results. Joel is also attempting to recoup his costs from the trip, so if you see something you like don't worry if it's just one or two prints, every little bit helps. I've also lowered our prices in order to make it easier for you. And international shipping is available. The website is a commercial one, so credit card payments only. Just like Simon and Scott and Eric with their videos, we do it because we love it but your support helps us keep doing it.

Once again, the website is ksusa.photoreflect.com
10% of our sales will be donated back to KSUSA.

thanks to those of you who've already purchased photos!

Darcy
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
islandjim
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by islandjim »

Hi Darcy,
the photos you have posted are great, I have really enjoyed showing them to the rest of the guys from oz that couldn't make the trip. There are a number I would like to buy but the website will not accept overseas addresses. Can you help me.
Once again, thank you to everyone for the hospitality and friendship that we were shown during our visit, and hopefully one day we can repay you in oz
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

There are a number I would like to buy but the website will not accept overseas addresses. Can you help me.
Jim -

thanks for pointing this out to me. I'm going to look into this today and see how to remedy the situation. I thought that I'd already set it up correctly for international shipment, but obviously not! I'll post back here when I get some info.

thanks all for the compliments!
dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

photogs!!!!!!!!

Post by frankfqr »

Joel kept trying to shove a camera at me at the WORLDS, claims there are hidden percs. to being a photog. The big thing I came away with was a new found respect for those that view the action thru a condensed porthole. How could I peep at it when the total view was so much more encompassing? Nothing but respect and THANKS to those that kept there eyes to the shutter while we were sucking it all in!!!!!! THANKS FOR THE PICS!!!!!
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Darcy,
I enjoyed the photos so much. It was a great way to compare styles and moves of different guys in the same surf at the same time. Also, cool to see how I did in my heats as compared to the other guys in my heats. Very cool overall!!!
skansand

Post by skansand »

just bought some photos from photoreflect and cant wait to see the blown up pics...looks so great....much obliged darcy
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yes, Darcy, the efforts you went to placing the heat sheets at the start of a group of photos are so appreciated. It allows viewing of the contest in a really unique way. Thanks!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The heat sheets are a great idea!

Thank you all, photographers and video folk, for capturing what were long, cold, but exciting days!

The rest of us had the luxury of leaving the site to warm up, nap, etc.

Another order coming up!
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

INTERNATIONAL Buyers - the web site is fixed and you now can add an international shipping address. Thanks for your patience.

The heat sheets was something I wanted to put in the folder all along, but it took me awhile to figure out how to do it. Once I got it sorted out and formated right, it was actually a very simple add-on and I think it adds heaps to the viewer experience. Glad you all think so too! :)

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

ALL of my photos are now up on the website, including the OPEN finals, and people and scenery shots. I also posted all of the photos from Monday's free surfing session at Steamer Lane. Previously I just had the highlights of the Steamer session up. Now you'll find one folder with the highlights, and one with all the photos.

thanks for being patient.

Joels photos will be posted soon, too.
DM
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Joel's photos are now posted at http://ksusa.photoreflect.com

Joel got lot's of great photos of people at Coastline brewery during the after-contest gatherings. You folks did a lot of drinking, is all I'm gonna say .... !

Also check out some of the free surfing action from Steamer Lane and some of the other locations in Monterey Bay!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
frankfqr

photos?

Post by frankfqr »

Am I missing a direct link here? Darcy, you seem to be so involved with this current movement, but somehow I'm lacking a direct link!! Your work should be on the front page. THANX AGAIN!!! Not just the worlds shots--your "photoreflect link"????
Jack Beresford

shots

Post by Jack Beresford »

Some real nice shots Joel! It's worth checking a couple sequences of Gavin and Baden coming off the bottom and wacking it. Textbook.
skansand

Post by skansand »

ksusa.photoreflect.com
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
DarcyM

Re: photos?

Post by DarcyM »

frankfqr wrote:Am I missing a direct link here? Darcy, you seem to be so involved with this current movement, but somehow I'm lacking a direct link!! Your work should be on the front page. THANX AGAIN!!! Not just the worlds shots--your "photoreflect link"????
Thanks Frank -

not sure what you're asking though ... you mean front page here? Or a link from ksusa? There is actually a link from the World Titles main page.
Or do you mean my other photo site?

Anyway, it's all good. Check out Joel's sequence of Jack burning a standup in the free surfing section, and then fading/stalling into a left barrel behind the guy. Classic.
:)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"