Thanks to organizers of the Contest

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Classic Event - Kudos all around

Post by DarcyM »

HUGE Thanks to all the organizers, supporters, the generous sponsors, the people running the contest, and especially John Mel, Don Harris, Tom Linn, Paul Duquet, Dan Young, Jon Manss, Dale Manss, Mary Lou Drummy, and all of the kneeboarders who showed up with a grin and stoke and a positive attitude. I'm so stoked to have been involved in this event I can't believe I was even thinking of not making the drive up.

Also BIG thanks to Kenny and Tony for coming out from Australia to share their wit and wisdom. I didn't get the chance to say thanks to Kenny in person before leaving on Saturday, so here's a big hug (((KENNY!))) to you for being such a fantastic ambassador for kb'ers world wide. Also to Ivan and the other "freezin' Ricans" for braving the cold Santa Cruz waters and spreading their own stoke and excitement for this sport.

Thanks to Ler, Wayne, and Tom for sharing laughs and stories, and to our Nor Cal hosts for putting up with our madness on the Point for three days!

Congrats to all the winners - you guys ROCK! And all the contestants, you came through and made this event what it was, a gathering of kindred spirits. Even when the surf wasn't cooperating, we were all there for the fun and to open our eyes to what each other is doing and riding. It was an event that broke down barriers and opened infinite possibilities, instead of having to be bogged down in the dreaded pallor of looming extinction. From what I saw at the Point this weekend, it AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

And special thanks also to Jon and his lovely wife Nora for putting up with me personally and opening their home to me and other kb'ers during this event. These are truly warm and generous people, who grace our sport and our planet and I am truly priviledged to have had the chance to know them. My house is always open to you.

And a personal note, I spent the weekend coming back to Jon's house every night to stare at these beautifully carved and crafted trophies. You could take a million pictures of these works of art, but you can't really appreciate them unless you hold them in your hands and turn them over and feel the warmth of the wood and the smooth finish and perfect lines in the rails and rocker. I held them and looked at these pieces every night knowing that I would never have one, and not regretting that I might not win but sad that I wouldn't have one of my own. I was truly overwhelmed when I knew that I would have one that I almost fainted straight away. The icing on the cake was the roar of approval from everyone in the room when my name was called. It was all I could do to keep from breaking down and bawling right then and there. You guys are so cool, it still takes my breath away. Thanks so much for your encouragement and kindness.

I apologize if I've forgotten anyone, I'm still a little stunned by the whole thing. It was like no contest I've never seen. I know it will probably never be this cool again, but I sure hope we can keep the sense of camaraderie alive in us forever. Lets do our best. Peace.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
MWROBERTSON

Way to Go!

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Good on Ya Darcy!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Darcy - Our KB gatherings will always be cool.......as long as wonderful people such as yourself grace the fesitvities!

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

((( YOU GO GIRL )))

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

I HAD MISTY EYE'S MYSELF DARCY !!!

:cry: :cry: WE NEED MORE JOY THESE DAY'S :cry: :cry:

(( IT WAS A JOY TO WATCH YOU AND MEET YOU ))

KEEP ON RIPPIN !!!!! MIKE GARRETT :D
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Let me add my kudos to Don, Tom, Paul, Dan, Dale Manss, John Manss, John Mel and all the contest staff to put this incredible experience together. Ditto to all of the sponsors who backed up their support of the sport with some incredible merchandise, and to all of the kneeboarders who traveled from far and wide to not just compete, but to share handshakes, smiles, stories and pride in this very special pursuit of ours.

I feel neglectful for not saying something publicly appreciative at the awards ceremony, as Chris and Jack did so eloquently. This was a very meaningful event, and I feel privileged to have participated in something special that was made possible by so many people's tireless and generous efforts.

Six years ago, when the kneeboarding article I wrote for The Surfer's Journal came out, I was afraid for the future of our sport, a sport I cherish more than everything except friends and family. To see kneeboarding in the US rally so far so quickly is simply awesome. The collective stoke I think everyone felt in Santa Cruz is a powerful thing, and I look forward to seeing where our momentum takes us next. To all those who have made this possible -- at Santa Cruz, at the other gatherings, with the web site, everything -- THANK YOU!
MWROBERTSON

Peterson

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Hot K-Bing was one thing in Santa Cruz but sheer stoke and determination was another!

Let me take you back tp the late 1970's. I may have just gotten my first kneeboard then and started to flop around in the waters of Huntington Beach. I must have been in Jr. high or something.

I had heard tales of two guys that ripped the South Side and North Side Bowls at the Pier in those days. One guy was Dean Cleary and the other Fred Peterson. Dean was one of the head shapers for Infinity Surfboards. (He was primarily shaping single finned,double wing pin-tails and swallows.)
Fred was a team Rider.

Dean was profiled in an old issue of Surfing Magazine where a Knee Board story ran that talked of design and what was state-of -the-art at the time. In the article, profiled were Steve Lis, Ron Romonasky,Dean Cleary, Peter Crawford & George Greenough.

Before or after, the article ran, there were two or three photos of Fred Peterson in the magazines on Infinity Boards shaped by Dean. The photos showed his ripping style and grace.

How does this all tie in to Santa Cruz? Well, the Peterson name may ring a bell with you. You may have gotten him in a heat or two. You may recall, Fred was the guy who in his late 40's was crawling down that muddy cliff, throwing himself in the water heat after heat, putting on his ONE swim fin and paddaling out like the rest of us. (I know Fred wants NO concessions for his condition, but he lost part of a leg in an accident sometime ago.) He was riding a modern version of his old boards shaped by Dean. To SC he brought a double wing pinnner with an awesome airbrush.

In Santa Cruz, Fred went out and ripped as usual. His determination, guts and stoke inspired the hell out of me! Many of the other guys rememberd Fred well and shared similar feelings viewing Fred from the Pleasure Point Cliff.

Thinking back, I can still remember how stoked I was on this new sport. I had pictures Fred ripping posted on my bedroom wall.

After Santa Cruz, I dug out some of my old magazines. I'm happy to say, I found the same old photo and it's again stuck up on my wall! Fred brought me back to a time 22 years ago and remined me why I started riding a KB in the first place. THE FLOW & POWER!
Thanks Fred!
Don
Admin

Santa Cruz event...

Post by Don »

Mark's comments about Fred are spot on.

Fred emailed a week or so before the contest under the name Freddie... Here is his note to me on 11/3/03:
Hi fellow kneeboarders I just was informed of this get together in Santa Cruz bye a few kneeboarders I met at JALAMA on Oct. 25th. They let me know of this web site and I'm interested in the contest, I do have one concern though. I've never surfed Pleasure Point before and I don't what kind of terrain is around there, you see I only have one leg! If it is accessible for me I would love to try it.

Sincerely,
Freddie Peterson
frediep@msn.com
My reply was short and to the point.
Freddie,

Glad you caught up with the group in Jalama! I met a one legged kneelo in Australia ( Mark - aka mono) who was a ripper! We would love to have you come on up for the event as it will be a huge gathering and lot's of camaradarie, regardless of the competition. As for the terrain, it's not the best. There are a set of stairs a few hundred yards from the break but it's a healthy paddle. I've done it and actually ridden waves from the outside point to "The Hook" so if you took your time you could do it. We don't have any spots open right now but I'm sure we'll have a no show or two. Lot's of interest in getting on the alternate list though.

Freddie, I'd sure like to meet you regardless of entering the comp or not... so come on up any way! When was the last time you got to hang with 60 kneelo's????

Let me know if you need any help logistically. There are a couple people opening their homes for travelers.

Cheers!

Don Harris
www.ksusa.org
Now, had I known what I know now, rest assured Fred Peterson (aka Freddie) would have gotten a spot in our comp no matter what. You see after all these years the thing that kneeboarding has given to me is friendship, desire to do my best, soul surfing and respect for others who do the same. It feels real good to know ALL of us have created something we can be proud of and share with others.

Having Freddie amongst us was a part of our history and kneeboard heritage... I don't care how many legs he's got! Having Freddie in one of my heats brought that same "grom feeling" Mark so well describes! And that my friends is very indicative of the whole outcome from OUR Santa Cruz experience.

I hope to surf with Freddie again sometime real soon.
Don Harris
Jon Manss

the Fred Peterson story

Post by Jon Manss »

You guys beat me to the punch. Over the weekend I also heard of this legend from some of the HB crew. Let's hear more about Fred and for that matter how about the other unsung legends around the world. Jon
Don
Admin

Gatherings...

Post by Don »

One other notable...

Yes, the comp was a great success thanks to the many involved, however let's not forget the Gatherings!

As you read Fred's initial inquiry about the comp, it was the Jalama Gathering where he found the group of kneeboarders and then learned about the Santa Cruz event.

So, let's get those gatherings lined up - and remember it's not necessarily quantity that makes a gathering successful... rather enjoying waves w/ a few others. This is what we built our KSUSA community around.

The calendar will be running today so post your Gatherings and send me a note so I can link it to the portal homepage.

So who's goint to Costa Rica :?:

Anyone doing the Blacks Gathering in SD this year :?:

Nor Cal'ers - I'll host a December OB Gathering and announce shortly...

Someone contact Will Perez for the PV Gathering...

Frencho/Jose/Ivan - turn us on to the PR gems your posting!

Let's get'm going!
Don Harris
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

OB in December sounds great, Don. But we'll need a hot tub on the beach when we get out due to those chilly waters!
kbing since plywood days
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

How about a round of stout at the Beach Chalet across the street from the surf! Great views of the surf, football games on the television, locally brewed beer... and the foods not bad either!

As for the hot tub... bring an empty Tide jug filled with hot water... best I can do.
Don Harris
KenM

Santa Cruz event

Post by KenM »

:What an inredible three days.I know it's all been said but I want to thank everybody involved.Don, Tom,and Paul for all the organization, you guys outdid yourselves.John Mel,above and beyond the call of duty!The Manns brothers,WOW.Kenny and Tony from OZ,thanks for your humor and inspiration,what a privilege to have you guys with us and helping us.Ivan,Frencho, and Camello from Puerto Rico, viva Los Freezin' Borinquens!All the folks who ran And judged the contest,great work,smooth and on time.New friends including, Wayne,Craig Russell,Jason Foster,Ed Dimick,Glenn Peterson,Mike Garret,Darcy,Ler,Phil Curtis,and many others.Old friends,Scott and Adrian.Thanks to all for your generosity in and out of the water. Don't forget to support the very generous sponsors.Oh yeah,congratulations to all the winners
Poidog

PP contest photos

Post by Poidog »

thanks to all that posted photos of the PP contest. it looked like it was a blast. hey darcy, im glad that you got one of those beautiful trophys.
aloha,
Big Russ
Burnwater

Post by Burnwater »

Some of you who attended may appreciate the note I sent to David Parkes regarding his contribution to making the event so special to me.

David,
Just a note to thank you for contributing the beautiful quad-fish to the U.S. Kneeboarding Championships. And, to thank my Maker for allowing me to win it!!
The board is magical. I could not have custom ordered a better board.
Took it out for the first time Monday morning. After nothing but sub-par slop here in San Diego since winning it, I woke up to head high+ peaks with a good left barrel at Seaside Reef. WOW!! What a board. After feeling it out for a few waves it was as if the board disappeared and I could put myself right where I wanted to be with barely a thought.
After footriding all my life I,ve been kneeriding just over a year and your fantastical magical yellow bottomed quad fish is definitly taking my skill and love of kneeriding to a higher level.
I look forward to surfing many great waves on this board and to owning and riding more of your boards in the future.

Before I sign off I'd also like to share with you my appreciation of and thanks to Don Harris. You could not have a better representative of your company or our artform anywhere in the world. With his web site Don has done an incredible job breathing life back into what most surfers here thought was an extinct form of surfing on this coast. The work he did putting together a solid team of dedicated lovers of our surfing art to put on a fantastic and memorable U.S. Titles was above and beyond the call of duty and I know he is held in very high esteem and admired by all who attended.
Thanks again.
Many waves,
Glenn Peterson in San Diego

And oh yeah, "Orca". The board is definitely NOT FOR SALE!
tread lightly, lean forward, leave a clean trail.
DarcyM

Contest pictures

Post by DarcyM »

Thanks Poidog! I'm glad I got one too!

As of right now, I've uploaded all of the decent (ok, some are indecent, but I'm not too proud) pictures that I took from the Santa Cruz weekend. I've also edited the ones I loaded previously to add the day and the approximate time they were taking to the picture description. Hopefully this will help some of you identify yourselves. If you can id someone I didn't, please post your comments for all to see or send me a PM and I'll edit them.

thanks and enjoy! Feel free to dl them to your own computer and enjoy them with friends and family. If you want an unedited copy (most of the pics were cropped) I will be happy to e-mail you the files (don't ask for all of them, you'll just crash the servers!)

thanks to Don for changing the settings so I could share these all with all of you!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"