Philip Island Comp Results wanted...

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

DK
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DK »

Bruce,
Ill never forget the last day of the 96 World Titles- Gav had had the flue all week and battled through the repos taking all before him. love Simon as a surfer but as a club mate of Gavs I was definatly going for him.
He just pulled up short in the final but he did have Simon and Gigs in front of him. Its great to have a forum like this to tell all those great kneelo stories thats one Ill always remember.
hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

96 Worlds

Post by hart »

DK,

That final was a lot closer than what it looked..I in fact couldn't split the top three..and that had nothin' to do with hanging with Steen for a couple of hours before hand!

When I congradulated Simon at the presentation, he threw his arms over my shoulder and sighed..so I said, "What's up mate..you've just made it No 4..you're not buggered are you?"

" Nah mate, just f@#$*n relieved!"

We mere mortals cannot fathom the pressure of an Open World Title Final..a final where every man in the water has a legitimate chance of taking it out. Simon knew that you had to win it in your head as well as in the water..and he did that always so well.

Simon, of course retired from competitive surfing after that result..and unfortunately, so did Gav.

(Selfishly)..we are all worse off for those decisions, but naturally, they are not ours to make.

Take care mate..and keep the Sydney Club charging..there just maybe another Simon and Gav, just around the corner..however impossible that sounds.
red

Post by red »

I posted some pics from the PI contest.

The quality is pretty poor because they come from a video shot on analogue with 20x digital zoom, AND I havn't figured out the interlacing issue when capturing frames from Adobe Premier - it's a steep learning curve, let me tell you.

But you may get the general idea. The waves were pretty weak, but had its moments.

Saving madly to get into the Digital Video age. But I'd have to cut back on beer to save properly, so it will take a while.

I have a 5 min video (but it's 111Mb!) at:
http://www.bsys.monash.edu/staff/aceglo ... atrol3.AVI
I havn't figured out streaming or MPG2 yet, so you'll probably have to download it first. This may take a while!
scoop

Post by scoop »

red

it played straight away for me and I saved it as well in no time....I am on cable though

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
scoop

Post by scoop »

OK guys
teaser time
2004 PI comp is well under way
64 competitors in the opens ...and the strongest in years
all the open heats were surfed today up to the finals and they are
Simon, Baden, Gavin and local hot kneelo Dean Bould
Although I had left the beach apparently the semis were something else ... and after comming up against Kyle and Pinebox in my heat who took it out easily there was some fantastic water aquabatics in the following heats.quarters and semis
This event is celebrating 21 years and I believe Baden has been to every oneas most likely Neil Luke has as well
Should be some standout surfing tomorrow in the final
Steen, Albert, Troy, Pinebox, Mygod and Kyle where some of the others to make it through to the quarters and semis

More info to come (also check KSA site)

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
scoop

Post by scoop »

Open results

1st Baden Smith

2nd Dean Bould

3rd Simon Farrer

4th Gavin Coleman

What a great finish to a fantasic comp
This was my first P I comp and can I say hats off to the organisers
this was the 21st anniversary of the comp which shows just how high it is held by all kneelos here in Oz and the strongest field probably ever assembled any where
Baden also took out the best barrel and the senior masters,Kyle the senior mens and Troy in his first event since the Qld worl titles taking the Pro Jnrs
Full results to come

Tony
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

Gav continued competing in comps after the 96 World tiles.

I surfed against him later that year at the Australian Titles in Geralton, WA

....I think after that he went on a world surfing tour.....(?)
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Thanks Scoop sounds like you had a great time and looks like we will have to get back to training camp and step it up a notch by 06. It's all good and Cheers. Jon
red

Post by red »

PI contest is being called the toughest field of competitors anywhere for at least the last 5 years, probably more.

The last 4 heats of day 1 (Open quarters and semis) were filmed on professional video by my friend Dazz (Daryl to you non-Australian speakers). I'm anxiously awaiting a rough cut on DVD. It was probably the highest performance display I've ever seen of kneeboarding (and I've seen quite a few in the past 30 years!). It was Dazz's first exposure to high-level competition. He was frothing at the mouth when I saw him later, "You should have seen the drops through the lens. You can see the guys' expressions! This is way more exciting to film than shortboarding"..etc etc

The shore-break was deadly. 6' faces pitching directly into 1' of water. I learnt from Simon and Troy that the shore-break reo was possible - as long as you were in the air while the wave was pitching!

See the Reds Coopers Cup post for more stuff.
albert

Post by albert »

all i have to say about the PI comp is that it was....

The hardest comp I have ever been to... or imagined was ever possible

there were no easy heats, there were no free rides, they even had to take out competitors from the opens because they had too many people wanting to surf in it.... that meant that little kids and girls were taken out, as well as older kneelos that opted to bow out of the opens and only surf their age divisions... which meant that there were truly no easy heats.

hard to picture, I guess, but even harder to believe once you are there...
Nov

Post by Nov »

albert wrote: The hardest comp I have ever been to... or imagined was ever possible
Sure was, I'd never seen contest surfing like it. I was stoked I made it to just the 2nd round!
red

Post by red »

Watched the DVD of the event with Dazz yesterday. This has to be some of the best quality kneeboarding footage I have ever seen. There is close to an hour of free surfing from Red's Coopers Cup and about 15 minutes from the open semis. It finishes with a devastating top turn by Gav where he gets pitched about 6 feet, lands it and sets up another. All the semis riders have waves in this segment (Baden, Dean, Gav, Mark, Troy, Kyle, Tim (Chemical), Simon). Funny, the waves only look about 3'. Certainly didn't seem that way when you were looking up at the pitching lip!

There is good footage of many of the guys who rode at Kitty's. Simon, Meathead, Jamie, Albert, Troy, Phil, Mark, the Novs, Parksey all leap into my head but I havn't yet catalogued all the riders. Just waves soundtrack (i.e. no music to avoid copyright issues) $10 posted to you.
Ben B.

Post by Ben B. »

The P.I. VID sounds,how do we get hold of one? :D
scoop

Post by scoop »

Red
PI me details how to get it
can deposit direct or whatever
hope to book Hawaii tomorrow
cheers
Tony
red

Post by red »

Some frame grabs from the PI semis vid are now posted at www.dazz.org
Some great turns with backlighting. Pity video only carries a meg of resolution - they would be great shots otherwise.

Contact/Ordering info on the site (but Dazz has yet to activate his credit card link)

The DVD is cheap because there's 15 min of hot surfing action but no sound track (just hissing waves) or fancy effects. The hour of Reds Coopers Cup footage has a fair bit of empty wave watching but some great riding action sprinkled through it. Good value at $10.