2007 KSUSA Titles - Oceanside Harbor - Nov. 30 and Dec. 1

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Up at my brother's in O'Side today and we went by the Harbor (North Jetty) and watched the waist-chest high two-way peaks mixing in with walls that allowed for some speed and the occasional corner on the outgoing tide. Looked fun :D

Great map/pic Joe. The parking is $5 for all day. Just feed the machine and place receipt on your dashboard. Overnight is $10. There is a large lot between the two jetties for boat trailor parking only, but plenty of parking for competitors up at the North end.

There's a small cafe that serves breakfast, sandwiches, pizza, hotdogs. Maybe some locals can comment on the quality. Showers/restrooms are convenient and there's even a playground for the kids and early casualties :wink: which I'm sure will NOT include any OC, LA, or NorCal kneelos :twisted:

...Brad
skansand

Post by skansand »

i call the sandbox :lol:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Scott

Post by Scott »

Here is Surfline's forecast for next week for the general Southern California region:

"Going further out, longer range charts indicate that a NW wind/groundswell mix could build in by Wednesday-Thursday the 28th-29th, from both a low expected to slide down the coast early next week and a more distant storm. While the surf could be decent size, conditions look a little sketchy at this point. We’ll see… "

Yahoo! long-range weather forecasts suggest partly cloudy on Friday and a 60% chance of showers on Saturday.

Sounds intriguing...
Jack Beresford

forecast

Post by Jack Beresford »

Here's Wavewatch's long range forecast - sounds like a nice little combo swell on the way:

Long Range

North Pacific: Our next round of WNW swell (290-300) begins pushing in on Sunday (Nov 25th) and holds into Monday. It will be fun-size waist-shoulder high+ at most spots and a little bigger at the standouts. Expect the morning high tides to be an issue. Further out the NPAC looks plenty active but not a ton is happening in our swell window. At this point it looks like we will start to see an increase of WNW wind/ground swell on Wednesday (Nov 28), which will be followed by a bigger chest-head high WNW swell (285-300) on Nov 30th.

South Pacific: The south pacific has been pretty quiet for the last few days so not much swell will be heading in from this region. Look for some small S-SW background pulses to limp in through most of the week. Our next small Southern Hemi swell will be a playful SW’er (210-200) that would arrive with inconsistent knee-chest high sets on the 29th-30th of November.
Jack Beresford

news release

Post by Jack Beresford »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tel: (619) 341-1091 jack@ksusa.org

Don Harris, Kneeboard Surfing USA
Tel: 415-250-6400, dharris@ksusa.org

Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships to be Held at Oceanside, California Nov. 30 and Dec. 1

Oceanside, CA (Saturday, Nov. 24, 2007) – Kneeboard Surfing USA will host the 2007 U.S. Championships at Oceanside Harbor Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. America’s top Kneeboard surfers will compete amongst a field of nearly 70 entrants for the U.S. title. In addition, the contest will include a Junior’s Division for those under 20 years of age and a Women’s division.

Huntington Beach’s Barry Baker is considered by most to be the favorite going into the two-day competition – Baker placed second in the 2007 World Kneeboard Championships held in January at Santa Cruz’s Steamer Lane. Other Kneeboarders expected to place well are San Francisco’s Randy Reed, Laguna Niguel’s Tom Linn and Jack Beresford of San Diego. In addition, two top overseas competitors will also battle for the title: Jose Maldonado of Puerto Rico and David Parkes of Byron Bay, Australia.

This year’s event is the first time the KSUSA Titles have been held in Southern California. Three previous U.S. titles events were held in right-hand, point-breaks in Santa Cruz.

Considered one of the purest forms of wave riding, Kneeboarding has its roots in groundbreaking performances by internationally known waveriders such as George Greenough, Steve Lis and Peter Crawford. Today, the sport has experienced a resurgence in the U.S. and overseas. More than 1,300 people have registered on the Kneeboard Surfing USA Web site at www.ksusa.org.

Sponsors of the Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships include: Blast, Freeline, G.I. Joe’s, Go Pro, Gordon Biersch, Hensley’s Pub & Grill, Hurley, Joel Mayer Surf Photographer, LuxurySurf.com., Maxim Capital Advisors Inc., Niuhi Grips, Parkes, Real Surf, Stay Covered, Tide Has Turned and Viper Swimfins.

Established in 2003, Kneeboard Surfing USA is dedicated to promoting the sport of Kneeboard Surfing through competitions, kneelo gatherings and other activities. KSUSA has hosted three U.S. Championships and the 2007 World Kneeboard Championships.

###
(Photos and video of top competitors available upon request)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Chris Buscemi
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Forecast

Post by Chris Buscemi »

The latest and greatest from the guys at the NWS... looks better than yesterday's and this morning's forecast.

Keep your fingers crossed.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA
137 PM PST MON NOV 26 2007
SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER OUT 60 NM

PZZ750-270445-
/O.ROU.KSGX.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
COASTAL WATERS FROM SAN MATEO POINT TO THE MEXICAN BORDER AND OUT
30 NM-
137 PM PST MON NOV 26 2007

TONIGHT
WIND W 10 KT EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON...BECOMING VARIABLE
LESS THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 4 FT AT 13
SECONDS.

TUE
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT AT 13 SECONDS.

TUE NIGHT
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING NE 10 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 FT AT 12 SECONDS.

WED
WIND NE 10 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT
OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT.

WED NIGHT
WIND NE 10 KT IN THE EVENING... BECOMING VARIABLE LESS
THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT.

THU
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT.

THU NIGHT
WIND NW 10 KT IN THE EVENING... BECOMING VARIABLE LESS
THAN 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 3 TO 4 FT.

FRI
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON
AND EVENING... THEN...BECOMING VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 3 TO 5 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SAT
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON AND EVENING... THEN...BECOMING VARIABLE LESS THAN 10 KT
AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. SWELL W 4 TO 6 FT. SLIGHT
CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

e zak
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by e zak »

Just curious where's everyone staying for the contest?

My wife and I took some advice from Chris earlier in this thread and booked a room at the Marina Inn Suites.
surf with soul
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

PaulN

Post by PaulN »

Its looking like I might not be able to go on Friday because of work, so I am screwed. Does anyone know if there are refunds of if I could sell my spot or something?
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Day's Inn at the top of the harbor for me. Walking distance to beach (contest area)10-15min. Beeline The Motel 6 next to the harbor is new and ok. Pool and spa. 150yds from Main Event :wink: Paul mabe they can advance you to AAA round :?: and get to surf on satdurday 8) PM Jack or Tom and see what the rules are
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

PRAY for SURF :roll: :!: :?: :D