British Nationals today!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

British Nationals today!

Post by tomway »

Hope everyone has fun today! looks like there's a bit of swell and the wind going offshore this afternoon...

Where's the bkc site gone??
Marky vee
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Marky vee »

Hi Tom
Did you stay at home then?
Board is sanded, leash loop on, boxes in on monday, finished tuesday, pick up wed /thursday?
Lookin good, what do you want to do about fins?
Mark
tomway

Post by tomway »

Couldn't get up there Mark, I'm on house and animal sitting duties as everyone has gone on holiday leaving me to fend for myself (and convert the nice warm kitchen into a glassing bay :wink: )

Looking forward to hearing about the days events... Toccy just sms'd to say there were some head-high sets - sounds fun.

re my balsa compsand :D :D :D
Give me the word and I'll be round in a flash!

Fins, I'll think about.
crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

Photos & a full report are here -

http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/index.html

Lots of shots to go through so I will add them over the next few days.
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

The kneelo.org site has gone down at the momment it looks like a server problem, which I will endeavour to get sorted. Once it's sorted I will get a full report up for now here are the results. It was a great day with a good level of surfing although numbers were a little down on previous years.
Results were:

Open (Results worked out using AA to decide placings from 9th onwards)

1st Chris Diplock
2nd Richard Smith
3rd Karl Ward
4th Richard Hewitt
5th Duncan Jones/Nick Barkham
7th Bryn Dampney/Alex Callister
9th Anthony Armshaw
10th Jon Paulett
11th Jodie Winter
12th Cliff Squibb
13th Stephen Locke/Nathalie Silverthorne
15th Liz Upward

Women

1st Jodie Winter
2nd Nathalie Silverthorne
3rd Liz Upward

Masters

1st Chris Diplock
2nd Richard Hewitt
3rd Nick Barkham
4th Anthony Armshaw

5th Cliff Squib
Steve Locke DNS
Last edited by Dunc on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

Here's a full report seeing as the kneelo site is down for now.

British Kneeboard Surfing Nationals

The 2007 British Kneeboard Surfing Nationals took place on Saturday 3rd November. Kneelos from around the country gathered at Fistral Beach in Newquay to battle it out in the 2'-3' surf. As the day progressed the conditions improved and by finals time we had solid 3' surf and almost glassy conditions.

It wasn't only the conditions that improved through the day the level of surfing built with every round. In the open we started with 16 competitors in four heats the number was soon reduced to eight surfers. In semi one we had Karl Ward, Richard (Huey) Hewitt, Nick Barkham and Bryn Dampney. In semi 2 we had Chris 'Bro' Diplock, Richard Smith, Duncan Jones and Alex Callister. Karl and Huey controlled semi one with Huey getting the choice waves and connecting some flowing moves. Whilst Karl hooked into a few set waves and attacked the lip with his usual flair racking up points. In the second semi Bro and Richard were the dominant surfers with Bro confidently waiting for the sets on the right-hander and tearing into them with his smooth style when they popped up. Richard hoovered up the other high scoring waves blasting when they gave him a chance.

This left an exciting final line up Chris 'Bro' Diplock, Richard Smith, Karl Ward and Richard 'Huey' Hewitt. With the swell building and the conditions improving all the time we were set for a great display kneeboarding. Huey continued to pick off some good waves and link some good hits together to put in some long rides. Karl was launching off every lip that came his way and hacking some big turns. Richard continued his display of powerful hits linking together on some long rides. However at the final count it was Bro's patience for the same right-handers that got him through the semi that won through. Once up and riding he connected powerful rail turns and lip bashes. Surfing with an impressive level of commitment and great style to take the honours.

The women’s final saw Jodie Winter (current women’s world champion) taking on Nathalie Silverthorne (2006 British Women’s Champion) and Liz Upward. Jodie showed confidence and a driving style of surfing to score points putting her ahead on the score sheets. Nathalie had a good wave that posted high scores with the judges but couldn't find a decent back up wave and came in second. Liz surfed with speed building her wave count but couldn't find the high scoring waves she needed.

The masters had six entrants and making it to the final were Chris 'Bro' Diplock, Richard 'Huey' Hewitt, Nick Barkham and Anthony Armshaw. As they had in their open rounds Bro and Huey took charge scoring the points by linking solid turns together to impress the judges. Nick got a couple of nice hits in but couldn't find the wave that would let him link things together. Anthony just couldn't get into the groove and failed to find the waves that would let him show off his surfing.

The AA is a repocharge event for those surfers who go out in the first round of the open event. They progress into AA semi finals. The first of these saw Anthony Armshaw, Jodie Winter, Nathalie Silverthorne and Liz Upward competing for two AA final places. Anthony and Jodie were the competitors that impressed the judges and went through. In the second AA semi Jon Paulett, Cliff Squib and Stephen Locke faced each other. Jon Paulett came up with the goods along with Cliff and progressed to the AA final.

In the final Anthony found the waves that connected through putting him first. Jon Paulett bashed out some turns to come in second. Jodie Winter surfed with precision and power to place third. Cliff struggled with a wave drought and couldn't find the waves to score points.

Results

Open
(Results worked out using AA to decide placings from 9th onwards)

1st Chris Diplock
2nd Richard Smith
3rd Karl Ward
4th Richard Hewitt
5th Duncan Jones/Nick Barkham
7th Bryn Dampney/Alex Callister
9th Anthony Armshaw
10th Jon Paulett
11th Jodie Winter
12th Cliff Squibb
13th Stephen Locke/Nathalie Silverthorne
15th Liz Upward

Women

1st Jodie Winter
2nd Nathalie Silverthorne
3rd Liz Upward

Masters

1st Chris Diplock
2nd Richard Hewitt
3rd Nick Barkham
4th Anthony Armshaw

5th Cliff Squib
Steve Locke DNS
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Sounds like a great event! Waves, conditions, and stoke :D

Congratulations x2 to Chris :D :D and to Jodie as well :D

Great report Dunc!
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) thanks for the report
crox

Post by crox »

Some more shots on & more to come -

http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/index.html

& a few on Nicks kneelo blog -

http://kernowkneelo.blogspot.com/ :D
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

I forgot to say in the report that Chris Cockett supplied first prize for the event. A brand new fresh from the glasser 6'0" rounded pin kneelo as well as taking all the photos at the event. Thanks Chris! Well done for getting some great shots as well.
Dunc
szrbloke

Post by szrbloke »

Great post mate and of course another one I missed. :( :(

Better news is that my ££££ for my new board are getting closer and closer and if I pass the exam I took on Thursday thats another step on the way to our family upping sticks and moving to North Devon - so much much more surfing for me. :D :D

Last time I surfed was Eoropie in July....
all the best,

Scotty
tomway

Post by tomway »

Thanks for the report :D
Any chance there'll be an informal free-surf meet in the next couple of months?
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Congrats to Bro and "Hobbit" on your wins!!!!! 8)

Looks like some of the best waves for the comp in years!!!! Would have been good to be there!!!

Great write-up Dunc....... would have been good to see you in the final!!!

Where were Crawford and Dark Cloud????? :?:
On your knees, if you please
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

Hows it going Cripster? Dark Cloud is on an extended trip to Ireland. He stayed on out there because it's been pumping. Crawford was coming but got sidelined by family comitments. The surf was good although the pictures always make it look better than it was.

Are you still in LA? Hows the wooden kneelo coming on?
Dunc
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

Tomway,
Watch this space and keep 1st December free
Dunc