Contests ... Open,AA,AAA ?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

chuckster
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Contests ... Open,AA,AAA ?

Post by chuckster »

Ok I haven't been to a contest in a few years, so how does this work again?
Is there any contests planned for 2004 yet? What organization do I have to join and what does it cost?
Thanks in advance,
chuckster :twisted:
Still rippen after 40 years. 40 years thats right
Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Chukster

Post by Jon Manss »

Yeah I can answer that! The contest format up at Pleasure Point was very freindly. Every one started in the Open and then went to a self rated AAA or AA division if they were illimnated from the Open. This meant a lot of surf for all. Where next year is a good question. You must join the "No more Jack Beresford fan club" and the cost is a huge heaping of humble pie when Jack win's again. Merry Christmas Have a great time at Blacks you guys. And Scoop I'm dreaming of a warm Christmas but that's about it. Cheers Jon
Jack Beresford

fan club

Post by Jack Beresford »

Jon - my wife wants to join that fan club (to keep me at home more helping with the kids!).

Right now, we've got about three contests a year - Surfer Bowl in Jan at the OB pier (although no one has heard much yet about 04), the USSF Champs in Oceanside in July and then a KSUSA Champs in the fall (the November Pleasure Point contest). I hear that we're looking into adding a couple more - tagging onto some other USSF events like we did in Santa Cruz. As of yet, much of this is still in the air so it's not clear if we'll have the opportunity to use a format like the AA, AAA, Open we did in Santa Cruz. I thought it worked pretty cool though. Also, I'd still like to see that SoCal/NoCal challenge happen! Maybe it's as simple as picking a neutral site - such as Jalama - and just go for it.
Jack Beresford
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Jack, I haven't surfed any contests for 20 yrs (NSSA) but the SoCal/NoCal challenge sounds great and has my interest. Jalama is a great spot that's always fun.
Brad
Jon Manss

Jon Here

Post by Jon Manss »

OK, you want a North South rivalry. We need a boundry line before we can have a North and a South. How about Point Conception as the line. That's where the northwesterlies end and the Bight begins. Or that's where full wetsuits end and spring suits begin. Just a thought. Jon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'll take Jalama anytime.........if just for the Jalama burgers! Great place to surf and a great place to hang out.

The Norte/Sur thing could be a rotating event: in the North one time then switch to the South.
kbing since plywood days
mike schmaeling
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

North vs South

Post by mike schmaeling »

After the Santa Cruz gathering, I returned back to my little secluded world, the waves have been great! I apoligize for not expressing my gratitude to you guys (Jon, Dale & Don) for your open hospitality. Jon, the best waves I got at the gathering, were when you and I went out at Sewers! So with that said, and since Jalama is one of my local breaks, I guess I should probably host this. Point Conception does make a great dividing line! When do we want to do this? If we do it during the "off season" (nonsummer months), I can probably reserve a few campsites. As far as the North vs South contest, any suggestions on a format for such an event? How about the losers buy the winners Jalama Burgers!

Mike
Jack Beresford

jalama

Post by Jack Beresford »

I'd be up for Jalama but I probably need at least a month or two advance notice so I can get free. I suspect there are at least a half-dozen So Cals who would also be interested - which should be plenty. In terms of format, Don and I were planning on using the Red Bull RB5X criteria in Santa Cruz (didn't happen) - it's essentially an expression session that you videotape and then score based on things like best tube, hardest turn, etc. I'll try to find it online when I'm back at work.
Jack Beresford
barry

north vs. south

Post by barry »

Greetings to you all
I am all for a Jalama gathering
and that would be the most appropriate
deviding line as well considering everything
south of there is an extension of concrete madness.
a comp would be o.k. but the expression session would
definately be a great new standard of events.....
keep me posted, and like Jack extra notice before hand
would be a bonus....march/april is usually good for waves
I think. Ya gotta love Jalama
Barry
ScottMac

Contests...Open,AA,AAA?

Post by ScottMac »