Phillip Island the last event of 2007

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

Thanks for the recap Simon. It was great to get the straight scope cuz the grommet never seems to have time to give boring ole dad any details.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

JD, spot on about young Shane, he's a powerhouse now, if he keeps going the way he is he will be a force to be resckoned with in the future - his Dad Pete's no slouch either. Nice people the Whitehouses.

Cheers Wolruss
feralmick
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by feralmick »

great summary simon, my first trip to the island. I was impressed by the contest organisation, the quality of surfing and the amount of different breaks. After seeing all the comments about the rips at Wollamai on Sunday, i feel vindicated for forfeiting my heat. :D had a good holiday :shock: but i still don`t believe anyone who says that water was warm.
mFox
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by mFox »

:lol: Come on down in Winter :wink: you'll see why :D ..... nothing like a few extra ml of rubber with hood and booties to keep the chillies out.
Fox
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

:wink: gotten soft up here. 8) Would like to go back in summer with all that extra rubber. Hello to all the Victorians i met, and thanks for the smiles & hospitality.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Mick, good to see you online, possibly coming up your way (Sunshine Coast) in '08, I'll give you a hoy when and if.

Cheers Wolruss
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

g`day russell, good site this one, lots of familiar names. Hope we can turn on some surf for you when you come up.
Had a wave at T-Tree on tuesday, only 2ft but clean 120yard rides. At 22deg the water has finally lost it`s chill. :wink:
gene west

emoticons

Post by gene west »

Albert, now that was funny brah!!! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was surfin'. Can you find one for me that looks like my foot up your ass? Now that would be funny!!!
geno
albert

Post by albert »

Actually Gene you can get that smiley, you can download it
here
gene west

Post by gene west »

ob/cliffs underground rates this a 10 for cleverness....good one albert!!!
geno
Shaunsy

My first contest

Post by Shaunsy »

Great picture you've painted, Simon. I wasn't even aware of the drama unfolding at Flynns on Sat, but I was amazed how far the contest pushed through the low tide. I have never seen Flynns that low.

As for the rip at Woolamai, it really is full-on. I have surfed Wooly for a long time and you do learn how to handle it. It is good for your fitness and it definitely sorts out the men from the boys.

On a personal note after 20 years of kbing it was the first contest I've entered and also the first time I have seen any of the top guys in action. I was absolutely gobsmacked over how f'n good these blokes are.

I was fortunate enough to have a free surf on the Friday, (on the Sunday contest bank), first with Chayne and Albert and later Simon paddled out. I was a mere spectatator watching the smoothest surfing I've ever witnessed in rippy, bumpy 6 foot unpredictable conditions.

My first heat ever was the first heat of the day at Flynns, up against Simon and Dale Ponsford. Thrown straight to the wolves I was. Even in that 20 minutes, I saw kneeboarding in a new light. I remember looking down from behind the wave as Simon cranked it off the bottom - and being awestruck by the power and aesthetics of that bottom turn. Needless to say I was knocked out, but was happy with my 3rd against guys of that calibre.

Day 2 and up against Gavin Coleman in the Masters heats. I remember him taking off deep on a nice 5 footer and watching him drive into the sliciest, whippiest most radical snap I have seen on a kneeboard.

I was fortunate enough to make the semis of the highly competetive Masters and once again came up against Simon, along with Dean Bould and Marcus Hague. As I was paddling out, Simon was still strolling down the beach. He paddled out, let the rip drag him to the spot and took off on a beauty, while the rest of us mortals struggled around in the current. He then proceeded to whip past us on the current again, and disappeared out the back. Minutes later he flew past us again, once more on a definite keeper, destroying it all the way to the sand. He then got out of the water and walked up the beach, with minutes to spare. Awesome display of contest surfing.

It was a great weekend, met some fantastic people, saw some freakish kneeboarding and regret not doing it years ago.

Results are up on www.phillipislandkneeboardclassic.com
mal

Post by mal »

nice to hear a different view of the comp, builds a really good picture.
is there any video, not that we need it now?
red

Post by red »

Not to forget the "Cool Hand Luke" of surfing - Tim "Chemical" Cadwell, for coming out of retirement and showing his inimitable fluid style still has what it takes. Well deserved Best Tube award and there should have been one for his speech. I'm paraphrasing here, but it went something like, "Thanks to my wife who put up with two days on the beach with the kids without freaking out."

I was also fantastic to see the range of equipment at the contest - all performing well - from Harts and Parkseys thrusters and quads (semis and finals) to Destasio's Twinnie (quarters) to Baden's deep concave quads (semis) to Lukey's Freaks (semis) to Dale's swift screwtails (semis) to Pommies radical three stage bottoms (quarters and final) to Stump's "modern" kneeboards (quarters); plus a smattering of personally shaped models that held their own in very trying conditions. Such variety in design speaks well for the health of the sport.

Simon's great roundup omitted to mention that Flynns Reef is a hop and skip from the break where that great footage of a surfer and a great white shark on the same wave was taken a couple of years ago, and a few kliks from my favourite spot - the one called "Sharkies" near the seal breeding colony. Lucky conditions are not right to surf that one too often (i.e. right swell, right wind and no seal pups!)

Jim, I trust you've got that half seal carcass back in the freezer, ready to drag out onto the beach again next year to freak out the tourists?
Shaunsy

What about Kev

Post by Shaunsy »

Yes Red and also worthy of a mention is Kev Fisher, donning his flippers for some rare kneeing and smashing all comers for the Grand Masters title.

He reckons he has only kneed twice this year, rides a standup mostly. I told him he threw his stick around impressively. His reply "You never forget".

"Gees I do," was my retort.

He said he felt a bit embarrassed, but I thought it was a great display of kneeboarding with some nice big turns and consistent surfing.

Well done Kev Bear.
mFox

Post by mFox »

Aaahhhhhh...... Shaunsey......... Kevi Bear was not in the grand masters but the senior masters :-)
Fox