North vs South @ Jalama ?????

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

mike schmaeling
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

North vs South @ Jalama ?????

Post by mike schmaeling »

Is there any interest in having a "North vs South" gathering/contest at Jalama? Goals for this "battle" should be: inclusive, fair and most of all fun!!! Winners get bragging rights and a Jalama Burger. Jalama is one of my local breaks, so I'll host this if there is enough interest.

Mike
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: North vs South @ Jalama ?????

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barry

jalama for north vs south

Post by barry »

Jalama is a great idea for this event
as well as a great dividing line. let's firm up a date
and get the gathering/session rolling.
like you mentioned non summer and non holiday will be a bonus
for arranging the campground. let the games begin
Barry
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Don't know about turkey burgers but there is the great
JALAMA BURGER!!!!!!!!!
Great place to surf and to camp. Nothing like waking up in the AM and walking over to the store for some hot coffee. No fuss - no muss.

Count me in.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

North vs. South @ Jalama???

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jalama is, indeed, on a first come basis. It is admisitered by the County of Santa Barbara. There will probably be info on SB Co.'s web site.

Phones: (805)736-6316 (805)736-3504 office

When picking a date, you should check with NASA and the military. If there is a missle launch scheduled, all campers have to bail.
I've got some great surf stories about Jalama. One of my (and my wive's)most favorite surf spots in the world. She votes "YES"!!!!
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Jalama is, indeed, on a first come basis. It is admisitered by the County of Santa Barbara. There will probably be info on SB Co.'s web site.

Phones: (805)736-6316 (805)736-3504 office

When picking a date, you should check with NASA and the military. If there is a missle launch scheduled, all campers have to bail.
I've got some great surf stories about Jalama. One of my (and my wife's)most favorite surf spots in the world.

She votes "YES"!!!!
kbing since plywood days
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

I believe Jalama also has group sites that can be reserved in advance. If Tarantulas is cranking it would make for a classic trip.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Jalama,
what an awesome place. the winding country road through the pretty little hills with the oak trees here and there. back in jan 93 my younger brother and i camped there for 4 days. except for the last day,the wind was light to moderate offshore all day long. the first day it was overhead and no one out just us. the second day double overhead and the third triple overhead. on the final day the wind switched and although the swell remained the quality declined considerably. it was'nt until this point that another surfer showed up, or made the walk to tarantulas.
the rights were long point style waves and the lefts short but hollow. being a goofyfoot, and my bro a regular, we would take off on the same wave going either way for hours on end. by the second day there was no talk in the lineup only happy contented smiles as we rode wave after perfect wave together alone as only brothers or close friends can.
on the second morning as we walked down the beach at dawn we saw (to our horror) a huge seal with an equally huge shark bite taken out of it's side. if the waves were'nt epic we probably would have gone back and played horse shoes.
later that nite our trash (and us) were attacked by no less than 20 hungry and ferocious raccoons. i went to confront them and retrieve the trash when this huge bastard of a raccoon stood on his hind legs 4' tall and called me out! i of course let them dine on our trash.
when i think of california, i think of Jalama.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Great story, Mike. That's Jalama for you- its really a special place. Its not just surf stories but all the other craziness (all good) that goes on.
I've been there camping when its over 30 mph onshore.........and when its a blistering hot 30+ mph offshore (Sundowner wind) blowing up a 6 foot swell into all time conditions. I've also camped there once in April with my wife and small kids and it hit a record low of 28 degrees F.

Then there were the times before kids. Once, I think, 'shrooms were involved.......
kbing since plywood days
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

i have a very interesting Jalama story. while there camping with my girlfriend the waves were pretty shitty. 1' with an occasional 3' set. these three footers were few and far between so with the 50 some degree water, well you needed stoke to be out there.
late afternoon and i'm the only one out. freezing and waiting for the 3' set. not 10' from me a seal emerges and barks at me. nearly sent me into cardiac arrest. he eyes me down then swims back out to deeper water. i look outside and a set appears but i'm out of position due to the seal nearly causing me to fill my wetsuit.
15 or twenty minutes elapse and the same thing happens! the damn seal is really f%ckin with me. again shortly after a set appears and again i'm out of position. this time i'm totally keeping an eye out for him and sure enough here he comes in close to me and barks and shortly thereafter the one wave set appears. it dawns on me that the seal is helping me to catch the sets! i'm stunned. so i watch as he (or she) swims back out. and then a while later swim back in just ahead of the set wave. this one i catch.
i caught several more waves with that seal barking at me and checking me out.
i know most of you are thinking drugs or i'm full of sh&t but this really happened! sure it could have been a coincidence, the timing and all, but to this day i'll swear i surfed with a very helpful local at Jalama.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Ler

Post by Ler »

surfhorn wrote:Great story, Mike. That's Jalama for you- its really a special place. Its not just surf stories but all the other craziness (all good) that goes on.
I've been there camping when its over 30 mph onshore.........and when its a blistering hot 30+ mph offshore (Sundowner wind) blowing up a 6 foot swell into all time conditions. I've also camped there once in April with my wife and small kids and it hit a record low of 28 degrees F.

Then there were the times before kids. Once, I think, 'shrooms were involved.......
Mommy whats 'shrooms