North vs South @ Jalama ?????

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

Jalama

Post by Ler »

At first I didn't want to surf in the contest, but now that Sprocky talking bout , beer, and cowboy hats, thats a contest I have to do. Hey Mr. Contest man can you put me in the contest, oh yeah I forgot how much so can you tell me? One more thing I live in the South. Thank you.

Ler
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Ler you forgot that you have to wear cowboy boots instead of fins aswell. Little G....
matt cunningham
Local (More than 25 post)

That there contest thing

Post by matt cunningham »

Last time I surfed a contest was the old Lowenbrau contest at Black's when they had that giant inflatable Beer Bottle. And as I remember the beer was more important than the contest. Remember that day Billy?

Anyway I can go up Thursday afternoon or Friday morning and come back Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Walt, Brad, anyone want a ride up? I've got great tunes and I'll try not to fart....

Matt C
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

SoCal kneelos, my schedule cleared up so I'm in!

Barry,
Sign me up with the (we rip) S O U T H !

Matt, Thanks but I've decided to solo the trip so I can see my folks in L.A. Co Thurs night and on Mother's Day. Also, I can't risk you letting a ripe one in the car :x

-SPbrad
Jack Beresford

trip

Post by Jack Beresford »

I'm leaving SD about 4 a.m. Thursday morning - if anyone wants to catch a ride. Gotta come back by Sat night.

Matt - as high schoolers we hung around the Lowenbrau trying to steal beers and contest t-shirts. Some great kneeboard heats went down with guys like Bill Lerner, Rex Huffman and Bill Sharp fighting it out.
Jack Beresford
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Jack, we are also leaving early on Thurs. Don't know about 4:00 a.m. though with the kids, etc... could be a bit early. Let me know if you're into caravaning.
Greg, when are you and Lori going up?

In regards to the Lowenbrau contest; I believe they had to stop running it because too many minors :wink: were granted access to all of the free beer they used to provide after the event. My last memory of the Lownbrau was the inflatable bottle on the beach and some guy driving a flat bed truck full of kegs on the beach to the cheers of thirsty beach goers.
barry

Jalama

Post by barry »

OK everybody I am planning on drawing the heats this weekend so if you don't see your name listed on the home page under Expression Session then send me a PM. Don will be placing the info on the Homepage 8) so keep watching and maybe that will stimulate some more posting in the forum. I saw Tom B recently and he has created some Quality goods to hand out. we have 7 categories so far, so be prepared to charge and go large. This is going to be an Incredible weekend!!!!!!!!!!! by the way there is a BBQ forum in the gathering section so check it out and communicate with Jon your ideas for the feast.
Barry
joe

Post by joe »

I hope thers's room for a no talent rail grabber. I've never been to one of these gathering, but this sounds too good to pass up. Barry, I can't see myself competing, so if you need help on the beach I'll be there to help.

I'll be driving up from San Diego late Friday and returning late Saturday. Got to be back for Mother's day. If anyone needs a ride I've got plenty of room.

-- Joe
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Joe-
You HAVE to compete.... only because this will be such a fun time and it is such goofy event. The whole point is to paddle out a and have fun with your friends.... it is not about performance.
There is nothing stranger than having only 15 minuets to paddle out and catch 2 waves... it puts a whole spin on surfing that is both scary and mind expanding. I promise, it will make you better surfer by forcing you to look at waves in a different way.
Look forward to seeing you,
EQ
joe

Post by joe »

I'm willing to give anything a shot.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I'm willing to have a shot of anything!

(sorry, that was too ripe to pass up...)
BillL

Post by BillL »

Hey Guys,
Sounds like Jalama is going to be an awesome event,maybe John or Mike could post what items of food or supplies they need so we don't all bring potato chips and cole slaw.
The Lowenbrau contests were the greatest! I distinctly remember Team Jester- Jack,Chris,Wino,Greg and Shaun all scamming beers while police cars are sinking in the wet sand,young underage girls being let out of said police car and the beach going nuts! The surf was always good for that contest in the few years that it was held- before Lowenbrau found out about the cop car and the girls!The Sunset Cliffs boys showed up one year-Steve Lis,Rich Pavel, Bird and Rex Huffman, it was quite the tour de force of San Diego.We had good surf ,rock n' roll , beer and chicks going off at Black's! Jalama's going to be just like it, without the sinking cop car.
Bill
matt cunningham

Chicks?

Post by matt cunningham »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Who said anything about chicks??? Jack how's the hand? Rumor has it the reason you were runing down the beach at 6:30 on a damn good south swell day was you cut your finger?

Matt
Jack Beresford

matt

Post by Jack Beresford »

Matt - I skegged myself on Friday and got four stitches in my hand. Catch a few for me!
Jack Beresford
joe

Post by joe »

I saw a post on swaylocks that said the George Greenough exhibit would be on display at the Santa Barbara Maritime Muesum starting in April. Maybe a nice side trip on the way to/from the Jalama kneelofest.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.c ... uest=10206

No mention of Greenough, but the Museum web page does say there is a surf exhibit. Anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor?

joe