North vs South @ Jalama ?????

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

mike schmaeling
Local (More than 25 post)

Jalama Gathering - who really won?

Post by mike schmaeling »

Hi everyone,

While all this praise is going on, I have to say the real winners were Barry, Tom B., Jon and myself!!!! Getting to treat all of the attendees to the treasures of the central coast and sharing in the stoke of the KSUSA crew makes us the winners. It did get a "little" windy Saturday, so much so, that Jon Manss invented a new sport called "Extreme BBQing".

Thursday's waves were good, Friday's were ok in the morning and Saturday's, well the talent shown by the contestants made the windblown slop look good. I hope we get some pictures from Thursday, Satursday's will probably be an embaressment.

We did have a couple of "sacrafices" Akieo's board and the Dave W.'s tent.

I'm being called to dinner, and that "lite" wind is still blowing, so, Thanks again to all who came and to all who helped make this Gathering such a good time for me!!!

Mike
barry
Legend (Contribution King!)

Thanks to all

Post by barry »

First of all I want to tell you All "THANKS"
what a Great weekend for everybody, lot's of smiles and laughs. The earliest bird (Fred Peterson) arrived on monday and enjoyed glassy overhead surf for days!!!!! I arrived on wednesday and had the Pleasure of camping next to Fred and sharing waves that ranged from 4' overhead
and glassy :D to the other extreme of chest high and windblown
(for the comp of course) not :shock: Great to put faces to the names that turn up on this website. Big props to Don for making the kneelo situation in the states much tighter with this website. Mike S. great job taking care of everyone and providing a home for all those who made the drive. Jon and Nora Awesome job with the feast, full bellies make happy kneelos (and families) I would like to thank everyone who made it to Jalama for making this such an Awesome event. Even if you were only there for saturday you still did your part to support KSUSA. There will be lots of photos being posted in the near future!!! and I will post the results from all the heats tuesday. Thanks to Tom B for creating the Goods.
Ler and Hurley thanks for the Goodies.
But really everybody, We are All Winners Thanks again
Barry
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

Let's hurry up with the photos! I couldn't go, so I need to live vicariously though some images! Did anyone take good shots of the "extreme BBQing?"

Glad to hear it was a good time, some weather conditions notwithstanding.
Jimbo

Thanks

Post by Jimbo »

Hey all - sorry I had to leave on Friday - fortunately it looks like I still have a job so I can attend some future gatherings!!! :lol: Mike, Barry and everyone it was great to meet you all and the level of the surfing blew my mind. Don and Greg - thanks for bringing me the Parkes I am looking forward to seeing what some new equipment will do for my surfing ( I knkow it won't change the fat, balding thing but oh well). Dave and Bill - did the earplugs and Sominex do the trick? :? Well, gotta go - just wanted to thank you all for making me feel welcome. It was a blast! What's next?
Ler

Jalama

Post by Ler »

This was my first trip to Jalama. What a great beach, even though it was windy. I had so much fun. It was my first time my kids slept in a tent, except when they were infants. We saw a Bobcat, owl, rabbit, and a deer. We are city folks, so we were stoked. The kids can't wait to go back. Thank you so much to people who help, put this gathering on, you know who you are. The only people I felt bad for was, Don and his wife Bonnie, camped right next two motor homes filled with girls who stayed up all nite, drinking and laughing only a few feet from his tent. In the morning the girls came to his camp and ask for ice, to make more drinks, if looks could kill. Classic stuff. Good to see you all again! Stay wet.
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Jalama was awesome... I hadn't been there in 20 years or so and to return brought back some great memories. This truly is a beautiful beach and when it's on, it's a great wave. When it's not on there are miles of open beaches to roam and the whole camping thing is always a blast.

Perhaps we'll look at the calendars and make this a Fall event next year. Spring is full of wind and Jalama is exposed...

So, hats off to those who took charge and made this a great weekend. Look for SouthPark Brad (couldn't resist!) who wrote a song and played it for us post Saturday's dinner. He'll get the lyrics up on the site and we'll put the tune to some pics in the near future.

Cheers,

Don
Don Harris
ScottMac

North vs South @ Jalama ?????

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barry

The Results

Post by barry »

I want to start by telling everybody who made it to Jalama THANKS.
This event was a success because of all of you being there!!!!
I also want to Thank those of you who Donated to the KSUSA
Without this website these events wouldn't be happening.

Final Heat
Barry Baker 1st
Bill Lerner 2nd
Tom Backer 3rd
Hosey Petie 4th
Don Harris 5th
Walt Davidson 6th
Paul Crowley 7th
Jon Manss 8th

Team Results
South 95 Points
North 71 points
South Team gets the Conception Cup for 2004 /Dave Weinbaum caretaker
AWARDS Most Inspirational / Legend Fred Peterson
The Greenough / Best Tube Hosey Petie
Best Wipeout / The Charger Jon Manss
Best Spray / The Bucket Award Bill Lerner
Best Lipper/ Aerial Award Barry Baker
Most Motivated Award Darcy Murphine
The Golden Spatula Jon and Nora Manss
Barry
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

barry...you old dog.....still killing it I see.

love your work :)

sounds like a great weekend, wish you where all closer
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather