NEW DATES: KSUSA Titles Feb 8 & 9 at Oceanside Harbor

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

I might compete next year if I continue to improve; it sounds like such a fun thing to do! Right now I'm working on different types of turns and floaters, too bad I keep spilling. I can get into them and execute them, but sticking them is another story. Arrggh! I'll be keeping at it, though.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

An Awesome event!

Congratulations to Tom and Patrick :D . These guys never lost in a heat and surfed straight through to the Finals which I believe was their 6th heat. Rob finally dropped down to the Repecharge Final and went straight back to the Open Final and Ed wins the Ironman Award for surfing MANY heats in the repecharge, after 3 Open rounds, to get back into the Open Final. These guys had the admiration and respect of all 8)

The groms are in the house!!!!! Congratulations to Taylor for an outstanding win. The Grom Final was a treat to watch and was very closely contested. Both Taylor and Sam caught waves that allowed some great speed that they used to surf with power/style. I had a flashback to the World Titles Open Final in Santa Cruz where just after the buzzer ended Baden caught a set wave and just destroyed it. Well, about 3-4 seconds after the buzzer ended the heat Shaun got a set wave and pulled one of the biggest hits of the contest as the wave sectioned!

Bob Hurley is an awesome sponsor of KSUSA. Special thanks to Mike Butler from Hurley as well. Because of this support, with other generous sponsors, participants in the event, spouses, girlfriends, friends, children, and others enjoyed RaffleMania which provides awesome support of KSUSA. During the awards Mike was on the phone to Bob who is so stoked for the groms that he threw in a nice gift certificate for a shopping spree at the Hurley Store for Taylor! 8) :D

As a footnote/trivia item, I think the average weight of the Open Finalists was just over 150 pounds, thanks to EQ.

Also, I think everyone has a little bit better idea of just where Kneelo Cove is after this event 8)
Jack Beresford

kudos

Post by Jack Beresford »

Awesome job everyone! I'm so stoked for Tom Backer - a true original in a sport of colorful characters. Tom surfed with a sense of purpose and he's always surprising you with his innovative approach. Tom's been a great supporter of KSUSA - producing some of the coolest trophies for our various events these past few years. Only fitting that he was able to take home the tall boy this year!

The groms have definitely closed the gap. We all better work a little harder or they're going to blow right past!

Lastly, goodonya Mike Butler - AAA Champ!

Jack
jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jim richardson »

Nice job Tom!!!!

Thats one for the Kneelo Cove Crew. :D
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Woooooooooo, yeah TB! Congratulations team OC, and the Kneelo Cove crew. Way to kill it Ler 8) Wish I could have been there, looks from Darcy's photo's like it was a great event! :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

nice job team OC 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
evans
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by evans »

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who put this event together. The backpack full of gear was an insane surprise!
Surfing with team OC was exhausting but fun...and Mark, it was all the coaching!
Great event, good times, good people.
coelacanth
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by coelacanth »

Congratulations to all the competitors. Great event. Pat - nice... (Brian, maybe next year). Craig
(Wayne, if you're reading this, it's not "Jeff")
Not extinct
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

What a great weekend! The weather was warm, sunny, and the wind cooperated. Thanks to all whom worked so hard putting this great event together.
Great hooking up with old friends and making new ones. Jeff..errr.Craig :D. You must compete next time and take out Pat :twisted: Kelly that was so cool meeting you and looking forward to re-connect with your brother, Pete.
I had a heat with EQ and damn he slipped through my fingers.....Next time big guy :twisted: :lol: You surfed solid and went the distance to fight back through the repercharge into the final, impressive 8)
The groms surfed well, Sam, Sean, Taylor, Matt, the BBC and others. It brings great joy and pride to this group in seeing how far you've come in such a short time. You all have the stoke 8)
It was the best seeing my good friends Mutiny and Ler win their divisions :D :D :D :D
Finally how cool was it to see the OC take not only the Team Event but all three division champs live here as well.

KNEELO COVE, Represent :twisted: :roll: :D 8) Catalyst
Last edited by WayneK on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

OBTW, surfed Blacks this morning with Mutiny and his son Tiernin; 5-7' faces. The north peak was less crowded and fun! Where was everybody? Probably a little too much post event cheer :lol:
Scott

Post by Scott »

I'll just add in my kudos for such a well-organized and fun event. With two contest areas running simulataneously and brief, 15-minute heats, I've never did so much competitive surfing in such a short time in my life! The look of exhaustion on a lot of the faces was a thing of beauty to behold. Ed Dimmick really did a great job with the heat sheets. Typically wonderful vibe on the beach and in the water. My wife is really becoming attached to the whole crew and that's a real plus for me!!!

I felt the smaller surf forced people to really pick their waves carefully, and added a bit more of a luck factor to the event (and that made for some interesting results, some of which benefitted me). One day, we'll have to have a contest in true kneelo conditions where there is a consistent barrel, which will really change the wave we attack the waves.

Placing the juniors division final right before the Open final showed the emphasis on the younger stars, and their final did not disappoint!

See you all up here in Santa Cruz next winter, and I can't promise such toasty weather (but I'll guarantee some bigger waves).
Markem

My 2 cents or in today's marketplace .75 cents

Post by Markem »

Don, Tom, Mark, Jack, Brand, and the other less known contributors my family and I had a great and even had a few good waves on Sat. free surfing down the beach.
One amazing thing that happened I beat Jack Beresford. Sure he never got his hair wet, and only tokk two insiders and was probably in pain but it may never happen again. Seriously Jack I wish you a complete and speedy recovery in that order.
Randy enjoy the Shole' and when you're back let's get some waves and you tell tales form the Indo tubes.
Remember O-Side never has surf, tell a friend.
M2 Out
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Really great to hear all of the good vibes at the contest!!

So bummed couldn't make it this time.

Also stoked to know that the juniors are coming up. Yeah!!

On another note it was 5' - 7' up here and really nice conditions all day on Sat. so it was a nice consolation.

How were the waves at the contest? Nobody really said too much about the surf.

Maybe we should have two contests a year: down south in summer, up north for winter!

I'm sure thats just what the contest organizers want to hear right now! :D

Who won the kneeboards?/rafflemania?

C'mon you guys lets have some more info for us unfortunate souls who couldn't make it down!

Peace
Scott

Post by Scott »

Dear Fredo,

The waves were 1-3' faces generally, with a few larger sets (especially on Saturday). Many were soft, some had occasional closeout sections with better power. Most of the heats had sufficient waves come through, even with the changes of tides, which was nice. Picking the right ones for scoring points was very tricky...

The two boards were raffled off to the following lucky winners:
1. Blast quad/tri-fin. Winner: Craig Russell
2. Parkes quad. Winner: Tom Linn

Both winners were summarily mobbed and executed by jealous kneelos immediately following the festivities...