NEW DATES: KSUSA Titles Feb 8 & 9 at Oceanside Harbor

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

For a video short (just about 60 seconds) to show what it was like (including a nice example of Tom working a little wave sooooo well in the finals), here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-CWRPZRKE
student of kneelo cove

Post by student of kneelo cove »

I was very honered and proud of such a great even. Alot of traditons, honor and respect. It is a very humbling experience to be at such a great event! THANK YOU to all involved. Your hard work and afforts where shown. It was CA Kneelo's finest hour, again! I really have to thank my kneelo cove brethen. Without you frendship and support. I would not of apprecaited it as much and probaly watched from the sidelines. You guys push me to my limits and beyond and I thank you! Is KSUSA the best, I think so!

Ler aka, mike butler

Kneelo Cove Student.
joe

Post by joe »

Scott wrote:...
The two boards were raffled off to the following lucky winners:
1. Blast quad/tri-fin. Winner: Craig Russell
2. Parkes quad. Winner: Tom Linn

Both winners were summarily mobbed and executed by jealous kneelos immediately following the festivities...
A third board was awarded at the rained out event in November. A very nice 6'0" Freeline Quad from John Mel. I was the lucky winner. :D

Joe
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

FIX! FIX! FIX! :wink:

(NOT!)

Ler, what happened to your UserID? What's with the new one?

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!

I heard more scoop today, and, again, congratulations to all!

I even heard my raffle tix from the rain-out yielded goods!

HURLEY!
Last edited by SFKneelo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

wish i could hve made it, havent been in the water in months, look forward to getting the green light from the doc this week! who won? what merch was avail? lol
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
joe

Post by joe »

southpeakbrad wrote:.... As a footnote/trivia item, I think the average weight of the Open Finalists was just over 150 pounds, thanks to EQ.
I think the Junior Finalists averaged 20 pounds heavier than that :shock:
joe

Post by joe »

Another fantastic event. We had a great time. I was knocked out of the contest on Friday, so spent the next day as a spectator and had a just as much fun.

Congratulations to Tom Backer, KSUSA Champ, Mike Butler AAA Champ, and the Kneelo Cove Crew on their dominating performance. Pat and Brian Evans look like they're ready to take on the Robertson bros for the kneelo brother title :shock:

The Central California crew came in under the radar and showed that they are a force to be reckoned with, even in small surf. Rob Salfen led the way with some of the biggest hits of the contest.

Craig and Akio put up a good fight representing the local O'Side crew. Akio surfed into the AAA finals and Craig into the semi's. I think Craig surf 4 or 5 back to back rep heats on Friday afternoon.

I was most impressed with the Juniors, but I'm biased. Congratulations Taylor, KSUSA Junior Champ. Shawn, Taylor, and Matt surfed very well in the Opens. Shawn was dominating every heat he entered early on. Taylor counted 12 heats surfed before the Junior finals. Zach Smith was a finalist in the AA event. Matt proved that even really big guys can surf well in the small surf. Sam came home from school to surf the Junior event on Saturday and went for the big moves.

The Junior event final was every bit as hard fought and competitive as the Open final. These kids have come a long way.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

I was so stoked to be part of another KSUSA event :D
Proud that people were stoked with the trophies that me and Jon Manns created. (special thanks to Steen and Slats for the use of thier surf photos in the trophies)
Thanks to ALL who make the KSUSA a great orginization!
thanks Jack B. :D
This event brings together people we dont get to see most of the year and its always great to see new and familiar faces
I was stoked to see the young crew rip, the Juniors just tore the place apart 8) . It was pleasure to see Sean Murphy and Sam Coyne ripping in the surf, great styles and definetly charging and very competitive.

Finally thanks to my kneelo cove brothers whos presence and commitment to everything thats kneeboarding, who paddled out in crap surf, great surf, flat harbors, took over a peak or two :lol: shared kneeboards, joked, laughed, choked on powdered donuts, drank coffee, logged onto KSUSA, who provided a sense of camaraderie and a sense of belonging its great to be a part of it all.

Thanks KSUSA
RT
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by RT »

What an awesome weekend! My two groms are soooo stoked. Jeff H. finally got to see where he wants to be next year--maybe will be back surfing with me every weekend again. And my 9-year old's last comment on the long drive back to the 'nard "two things I most want to learn ...kneeboarding and the guitar!"

Tom, Pat, EQ, Rob,... in the challenging conditions (at least to me!!!), you all have raised the bar for the US kneelo community! Your performances were phenomenal. Mike B, glad I had a chance to surf against you, but wish I could have joined you in the AAA finals...my semi didn't treat me so well. Way to go JJ, compadre, comedian, mentor, 2nd in AA, wooo hooo! You are the youngest 57-year-old I know!

Tom L. thanks for passing along John M's grom board, for when my son's ready. It is in good hands, and will not go to waste! My highlights, JJ's jokes on Friday night, Wayne's stories Saturday night, and Sunday's early am sess at south jetty just before heading home.

Look forward to the next event, and seeing everyone again!

RT
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

A few thoughts:

The Contest
Seamless.
I know Don and Jack and Mark and Tom and JoeC and Ed D and Darce and Randiego and Brad worked their tails off... but you'd never know.
These guys have it down.
Thank you.

The World Title Format
Awesome!
It means you have to lose (get 3rd or 4th in a 4-man heat) TWICE to be knocked out of the open.
Personally, I ALWAYS have a bad heat. Every year in Santa Cruz I've had
one heat where I couldn't find a wave and been done... then gone to the AAA and not lost again.
This format allows you to lose it once, but battle back... however, you gotta earn it. Six heats in 5 hours Saturday morning has left me rather listless. :wink:

The Groms
They ain't Groms no more. :shock:
Sam showed up on Saturday and almost took the title... Champ Taylor gave me fits in a couple heats in the open... and Shaun in surfing with a power and grace and style that is years beyond his age.
These guys are legit contenders for NZ'09

The Boards
The equipment is opening a lot of doors for a lot of people.
You can see the improvement.
Two examples:

We all know Tom Baker can rip big waves... but his ability to do full rail turns and cutbacks in 1ft to 2ft waves proves that Kneelos aren't just big wave weapons. He was throwing that BLAST Stub-Vector Swallow all over the place, and pretty much ran away with the title.

And South Peak Brad made a good observation:
I was at least 50lbs to 75lbs heavier that the other three finalists (I'm 205lbs)... but I was still able to compete in the small stuff.
Bruce Hart has worked tirelessly to make me boards that work "with" my size... and I now have a solid quiver for 2ft-20ft .
So, all you big guys out there... we've still got a shot. :wink:

Great contest.. great fun... can't wait for the next one.
EQ
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Excellent analysis EQ!! :D

Also, watching that little short vid of Tom whipping that board around in those waves is an excellent ad for the Stubb Vector!!
D.R.
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by D.R. »

I forgot my camera on the trip out from Brooklyn, but was able to borrow one. Unfortunately it wasn't as nice as I was used to and when I tried to get videos of some of the waves, they didn't turn out as planned. Below are a few of the better ones. Sorry if they make you sea-sick...

One of Rob's waves in the final:
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r51/ ... nt=Rob.flv

Team final start:
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r51/ ... lStart.flv

I'm already planning my trip out for the event in September...
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

whats happening in Sept?
D.R.

Post by D.R. »

Beeline2.0 wrote:whats happening in Sept?
They mentioned another contest in Sept. Since the one last weekend was originally scheduled for Nov-Dec (making it the 2007 titles), I'd imagine Sept would be the 2008 US Titles...
Scott

Post by Scott »

D.R. Thanks for the little vids. Always a pleasure to watch some live action!