NEW DATES: KSUSA Titles Feb 8 & 9 at Oceanside Harbor

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

NEW DATES: KSUSA Titles Feb 8 & 9 at Oceanside Harbor

Post by Jack Beresford »

The rescheduled KSUSA Titles will be held Friday, Feb. 8 and Saturday Feb. 9 at Oceanside Harbor - North Jetty. We will start the contest promptly at 7 a.m. each day.

Here are some details, more to come:

- All registered entrants will be carried over to the new event dated
February 8th and 9th starting at 7 a.m. with a maximum entry of 64 competitors in the Open
Division. We'll be starting the event from the beginning.

- Anyone who is currently registered but can not make the new dates needs to
PM Tom Linn via www.ksusa.org to be taken out of the event and allow for a
new entrant to register. Any known cancellations due to the date change are
appreciated ASAP to allow for new entrants.

- New registration cutoff is January 24th and we will be re-opening the
event on Active.com

- Any new registrations will be treated as alternates and fill cancellations
on new registration dates.

- Unfortunately we can not refund any entry fees from the original contest
dates for cancellations as we have incurred significant costs for setting
the event up even though it was cancelled shortly after the start. Nor can
we allow "selling of entries" to new entrants. We hope you appreciate the
efforts it takes to hold an event of this magnitude and regret any
inconveniences.

Remember, this is KSUSA's primary fundraiser - by supporting this event you support our collective efforts to promote Kneeboarding through the Web site, contests and other activities!

Raffles:

All purchased raffle tickets are still valid. Please know that we use a
"must be present to win" policy so if you can not make the event, find
someone who will be there to collect the merchandise for you (must have
ticket stub!) We still have at least 2 Kneeboards - Parkes and Blast - to raffle off as well as Hurley gear and more!

Evening Gatherings:

We are reconfirming with Hensley's for the new dates and will have an announcement on that very soon.

Thanks for everyone's patience and understanding - we want this to be the best KSUSA Titles ever!

Jack, Mark, Tom, Don, Brad, Greg, Joe and Darcy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Figures told the wife last night after confirming reservations for her birthday.” When will the contest be rescheduled when I am going to Sedona AZ.”. :shock:
Going to try to reschedule wife’s vacation. :?:
Any one want to buy raffle tickets at ½ price? :evil:
Just kidding may need to get someone to hold on to new boards until I get back. 8) 8)

Craig
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
evans
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by evans »

Is it going to be the same heat assignments? I have mixed emotions about surfing against Barry again. :wink:
randiego

Post by randiego »

Hey guys - thanks for jumping on this and rescheduling so quickly! Nice work!
:D :D :D
Scott

Post by Scott »

I agree with Randiego: nice work planning crew. Sorry for those of you who may not be able to make it now. That's always the tough thing about rescheduling.

Evan, I'll be happy to switch your heat with Barry if you'll take mine with Tom Linn - I can't get away from that guy! But I surfed with Barry the day before the contest and now know how to get inside his head; it has something to do with my wearing the wrong wetsuit, no railguard on the leash, etc. It all drives him crazy and I know it resulted in his total barrel time was greatly reduced that session, coudn't hit the lip very hard, etc. Yeah, he's putty in my hands now...
skansand

Post by skansand »

damn!!!...i'll probably be about 600 miles to the south :D
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Pat / Scott I don't want to start any rumors, but, 'Barrelly' may be in da Islands during the contest :wink: :cry: Don't hold me to it :roll:
evans

Post by evans »

Really? That's a bummer. I still want to take him down. It has to happen some time. :lol: If he is there, I'll try Scott's tricks
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

FYI- Heat assignments are likely to change. We will post new heats a few days before the event.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yes, Tom. Of course that's true--the heats will be scrambled afresh. Fun to dream a bit anyway...

We're all looking forward to that head high plus swell you've ordered through the city of Oceanside for the event. I hear they felt pretty bad about cancelling the contest and promised you to make it all up with a classic swell. Thanks for puttin' the screws to 'em!
joe

Post by joe »

On-Line Registration Has Been Reopened

The registration deadline for the KSUSA Kneeboard Surfing Titles has been extended until, January 24th. There are a limited number available spaces that will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Register soon to guaranty your entry.

On-Line Registration
Jack Beresford

Contest News Release

Post by Jack Beresford »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tel: (619) 341-1091 jack@ksusa.org

Don Harris, Kneeboard Surfing USA
Tel: 415-250-6400, dharris@ksusa.org

Rescheduled Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships to be Held at Oceanside, California Feb. 8 and 9 (Conditions Permitting)

Oceanside, CA (Sunday, Jan. 27, 2008) – Kneeboard Surfing USA will host the U.S. Championships at Oceanside Harbor Feb. 8 and 9. A field of nearly 70 entrants will compete for the U.S. title. In addition, the contest will include a Junior’s Division for those under 20 years of age and a Women’s division. The event was originally scheduled Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, 2007 but was cancelled after rain that weekend caused concerns about polluted runoff.

The event is free and open to the public. Heats will run from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 8 and 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9.

“Kneeboarding as a sport has never been stronger,” said Don Harris, president of Kneeboard Surfing USA which is organizing the event. “Even in its hey-day back in the 1970s and early 1980s, Kneeboard contests in the U.S. rarely drew more than 30 or 40 competitors.”

This year’s event is the first time the KSUSA Titles have been held in Southern California. Three previous U.S. titles events were held in right-hand, point-breaks in Santa Cruz.

“In addition to being a great wave, Oceanside Harbor is home to dozens of talented Kneeriders – so it made a lot of sense to bring the U.S. titles here,” said Harris.

Kneeboard competitors expected to place highly include San Francisco’s Randy Reed, Laguna Niguel’s Tom Linn and Jack Beresford of San Diego. Noticeably absent, however, will be top-ranked Barry Baker of Huntington Beach. Baker had already made travel plans to be on Oahu’s North Shore during the rescheduled event. Baker placed second in the Kneeboard Surfing World Titles last January in Santa Cruz – equaling the highest placing by an American in a world titles event.

Considered one of the purest forms of wave riding, Kneeboarding has its roots in groundbreaking performances by internationally known waveriders such as George Greenough, Steve Lis and Peter Crawford. Today, the sport has experienced a resurgence in the U.S. and overseas. More than 1,300 people have registered on the Kneeboard Surfing USA Web site at www.ksusa.org.

Sponsors of the Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships include: Blast, Freeline, G.I. Joe’s, Go Pro, Gordon Biersch, Hensley’s Pub & Grill, Hurley, Joel Mayer Surf Photographer, LuxurySurf.com., Maxim Capital Advisors Inc., Niuhi Grips, Parkes, Real Surf, Stay Covered, Tide Has Turned and Viper Swimfins.

Established in 2003, Kneeboard Surfing USA is dedicated to promoting the sport of Kneeboard Surfing through competitions, kneelo gatherings and other activities. KSUSA has hosted three U.S. Championships and the 2007 World Kneeboard Championships.

###
(Photos and video of top competitors available upon request)
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caveman

CONTEST CAVEMAN IS COMING

Post by Caveman »

I Caveman am coming down to the inland empire and trying to hook up rides from inland empire to contest. Ken form Ontario check your email for my number.

If Ken from Ontario can't do it can someone else in the area help out?

You can email my at my caveman jr woman's email alaysaco@gmail.com
or call me at 831.334.4253.

PS I will be discovering california again on my way down. Bus, Train??
I will be at the contest ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!
Jack Beresford

times

Post by Jack Beresford »

Update:

We'll be meeting at Hensley's Pub (I-5 at Tamarack) at 7 p.m. on Thursday and Friday nights. Saturday we'll start about 5 p.m. with the awards presented about 6. Join us each night for Rafflemania, videos, photos from the comp and plenty of tall tales!

Jack
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Howz all of my North County kneelo buddies doing! Can't wait to get together again :D

How have the waves been at the Harbor this Winter?? How about in the past week or so?