Ocean Beach/San Diego-Surfer Bowl 2004

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Surfer Bowl

Post by southpeakbrad »

MWROBERTSON wrote:Man, I'm bummed! :cry: I want to go and it's usually a blast! I'm moving that weekend and will be lugging furniture and tons of other junk around.

The rest of you have fun and get some tubes!
OK Mark, now's your chance! No excuses this time so get your entry in and we'll see your smilin face on the 7th... and bring your bro as well!
-Brad
MWROBERTSON

OB

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Brad,

You'll get all the waves anyway!

Danny & his wife are having baby # 2 any day now so I don't think he's going to be around.

I had already booked something weeks ago thinking I was out due to last weeks scheduling. Maybe I can rearrange a few things???? It may take an "Act of God" though!

If I miss it, have fun and get tubed like you did at Creek!
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: OB

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

MWROBERTSON wrote:Brad,

You'll get all the waves anyway!

Danny & his wife are having baby # 2 any day now so I don't think he's going to be around.

I had already booked something weeks ago thinking I was out due to last weeks scheduling. Maybe I can rearrange a few things???? It may take an "Act of God" though!

If I miss it, have fun and get tubed like you did at Creek!
((( HELLO MARK ! THIS IS GREENROOM GOD ** :mrgreen: BE THERE !!!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Well Mark, Greenroom God has spoken. Now let's see if he can deliver. If not, we'll catch you next time.
By the way, the tubes at the Creek went to you, EQ, Bill, Tom, Ed and a host of others. You just think since I rip I must've gotten tubed :D
-Brad
DarcyM

tubes at creek

Post by DarcyM »

Brad -
as I recall from the photos of the Creek gathering, it was you who was looking like he had the most fun! Every photo with this big grin on your face! That's what counts the most in my book!

see y'all on Saturday if the weather holds (keep fingers crossed and put away bad weather voodoo dolls!)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Burnwater
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

post contest gathering

Post by Burnwater »

If you're like me and can't make the early AM event and not entered in the contest this is still a great opportunity for an impromtu gathering at the cliffs. The tide will be dropping all afternoon to a minus at 4:00 pm. A moderate sized NW swell will be peaking Sat/Sun with light offshores blowing all day. Sounds like a prescription for a classic fun day to me. All the reefs should be hitting but it would be great to load Newbreak up with kneelos. After all it has a long and storied Kneelo history, being the skunkworks for the Lis Fish. it's a chance to recrown a classic Kneeboard break and make the statement that us Kneelos never went away and we're here to stay.
tread lightly, lean forward, leave a clean trail.
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Did any more people enter this event or is it the same as last weekend? Is there any surf in San Diego today or for tomorrow?

Ler
Don
Admin

Swell hits SF today... perhaps SD tomorrow?

Post by Don »

All,

Just a quick note... swell definetly filled in over night up here. I surfed yesterday off a rip bank with chest high super hollow fun lefts (think very hollow uppers lefts).

This morning Bob and I paddled out into DOH + surf with light offshores, well defined peaks and moving large volumes of water as the outter sand bars are picking up the 17 second energy from this latest swell. Bob's 25 minute paddle out left me sitting way outside for longer than I wanted... I got lucky and found a rip which pushed me through the impact zone and into open water for the long stroke to the outter bars.

Once outside we found dropping in put your heart in your throat and getting to the bottom to hit that first turn seemed to take along time. Not a high wave count day (10?), but certainly one that I'll remember for awhile. Bob, who usually escapes the "OB - flogging", took one for the team today but managed to score some pretty good looking waves and deep.

So in short, you should be seeing this swell hitting So Cal tomorrow I'd say (unless it's already there!)

Hope you get waves for the comp.

PS: Stars aligning for next week at OB San Francisco

I send this note as an invitation for any So Cal'ers to come on up. The report for next week looks very good and while the tides are still showing 6' highs and 0' lows, this will provide plenty of opportunities as the winds move to an offshore pattern.

Below is the forecast from our local guru (he's pretty much dead on with his forecasting for OB):

Friday: 5-6 ft 14-17 sec 300 deg, light to no winds, what more can you ask for? South winds are coming up (noon), sort of a cross-wind, and swell is about to start dropping. Late arvo expect some cross wind and about 4 ft 14 sec swell. Don: spot on with this call! 14-17 seconds is primetime for OB and increases the size to where the outter bars start to work.

Saturday: Winds turn onshore after the front, then quickly shift to north winds, raw swell builds in. Not great at places with northerly exposure. Don: good day to get chores done.

Sunday: high pressure builds in, winds turn offshore, gets rideable fast. This looks like a day for guns and drama. Probably our traditional SuperBowl Sunday Swell, a week late. Still a lot of swell. And, until winds turn off, it will have a lot of north windswell in it. Don: worth a look anyway at the afternoon low tide... Sloat could be very interesting!

Monday: smaller day, overhead or less, offshore flow. Don: Good... small and clean surf... can you imagine?

Offshore flow should continue into next Thursday, with long period swell running 4-7 feet throughout. In short, a good stretch of surf. I'd recommend planning for it. Don: This is what we really need - good size, good swell energy, sand bars are in good shape and lineups are empty.

Anyone considering the Hawaii trip should think about a training run up to OB... It's good for the soul! 8)
Don Harris
southpeakbrad

Re: Contest

Post by southpeakbrad »

Ler wrote:Did any more people enter this event or is it the same as last weekend? Is there any surf in San Diego today or for tomorrow?

Ler
Hi Ler,
Surfed across the jetty the past 2 AMs. Today, (waist to shoulder for standups), was smaller than yesterday but way cleaner with cold, easy offshores. Today surfshot.com featured OB Pier in both the AM and PM reports; the pics will be there until Saturday AM so check it out. It looks like we're in for some nice waves.

Got the email from RW. There's 12 signed up.. EQ's in my heat so I suppose he's over the flu and his shoulder is better!!

The post above about Newbs is interesting. A pack of kneelos would provide a distinctly different atmosphere (smiles, laughing, hoots) than the norm.. And the surf should be Outstanding at lower tide. (I'll be working :cry: )
-Brad
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Congrats to Tom Backer for 1st Place. A great kneeboarder and a good friend. Hey Tom, I was saying that in my best english accent. When Tom and I grow up in Liverpool, there was two (2) routes, working at the docks or kneeboarding. I'm glad Tom chose Kneeboarding. The docks are killing me. See ya at Fontana, 909...I dare to roll down your windows driving thru Norco HAHAHA. The Backer's rule.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Ler -

you're getting closer to that Sales Position every minute ...

Congats to the winners and thanks to Bob W for hosting us for this cool OB event! It was fun, let's do it again next year!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Hi Darcy,
As soon as the guilty feeling goes away I'm in. I think that will be soon. Good seeing ya!!! Just so everybody Knows Darcy continued to beat most of the guys, making to the finals.. AGAIN. This chicks rules and shes a good kneelo. If I could get a 5th place in my first heat, instead of a 6th I would be shitting bricks. Next contest I'll do it. See ya all then.
Jack Beresford

king backer

Post by Jack Beresford »

Congrats to T. Backer and thanks to Bob and the Geriatrics for another fun event! :D
Jack Beresford
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

GREAT DAY OB. CONTEST !!!!

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:D :D WHAT CAN I SAY !
ANOUTHER GREAT DAY WITH SOME VERY COOL FRIENDS GETTING SOME GREAT WAVES & NO ATTITUDES IN OR OUT OF THE WATER.

YOUR ALL WINNERS IN MY BOOK :D

3RD. WAS OK THOUGH :lol:

WE MADE OUR MARK ! A ++++++++ KEEP ON RIPPIN !!!

THANK'S MUCH BOB !! ALL CLASS BROTHER
mutiny

OB contest

Post by mutiny »

Thanks Bob Welsh for the fun contest in OB, my kids and I had a great time. A positive vibe at the beach. Ler skip the salseman job you can run for office, promise me today I'll have a chevrolet with whitewalls on the side, a boy and girl and comfortable lies, the american dream. you'll have my vote. the skate tour was killer. thanks jack for the photos I owe you few beers.
tom