Ocean Beach/San Diego-Surfer Bowl 2004

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

SurferBowl XVII

Post by southpeakbrad »

Non SD County kneelos rule! This event was a success because of your stoke and committment. SD only had 4 kneelos in the contest. Thanks to all who made the trek down twice, and EQ, TomLinn, and Wayne Kopit for showing the 1st week when it was victory at sea.
Nice to meet Randy Reed for the 1st time as well.

Jack kept his unbeaten streak alive winning the 3rd heat. Unfortunately for Jack he had to tend to a prior committment and couldn't surf in the final.

Final results
1: Tom Backer
2: Brad Colwell
3: Mike Garrett
4: Greg Shewman
5: Eric Osland
6: Darcy Murphine
7: Randy Reed

Tom's trophy is so cool I asked him to post a photo of it. So don't think he's showing off or something :D
Thanks again to RW!
-Brad
Jon Manss

hope to see you all at Jalama

Post by Jon Manss »

Tom B didn't I teach you anything about hussling beers, you don't owe anyone, you apropriate one, or share one, or flat out take one, but never, never owe one. By the way nice job down there at the surfer bowl. I'm watching all of this and wishing I was there. Jon
mutiny

surfer bowl trophy

Post by mutiny »

The wonderful trophy RW created is posted in the photo gallery. I hope we can create a tradition of creating our own unique trophies for the kneeboard contests. Jon Manss created last years Santa Cruz contest trophies, who could/would do it this year? Brad thanks for setting this up, and Jon Manss, I'm still a grasshopper, I know I still owe you but .......
tom
mutiny

ocean beach surfer bowl trophy

Post by mutiny »

I talked to Bob Welsh last night and he corrected me on the artist who created the surfer bowl trophy, The artists name is John Rankin. The artist who created the resin casted sun is John Dana, whos artwork can be seen in Balboa park in San Diego, A 45 year old mold was used to cast the resin sun. I understand he recreates paintings by Paul Gauguin that are so accurate they have been mistaken for the real thing, A retrospective of Gauguins work is traveling the United States right now, check it out.
tom
DarcyM

Surfer Bowl XVII

Post by DarcyM »

There was a professional photographer at the OB Surfer Bowl contest, she has a web site at http://www.teristumpo.com/

Look for photos there soon.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DarcyM

Photos from OB

Post by DarcyM »

Hey all -

Teri has her photos from the OB contest posted at her site http://www.teristumpo.com/

You can view and purchase prints and other goodies. She was shooting from the pier, so if you were going left she didn't get you. But she did get some nice shots of Tom, Eric, Halfman, Ed, and Brad I think too. Check 'em out!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"