Should I stay or should I go?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

NorCalPete
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Should I stay or should I go?

Post by NorCalPete »

Hey, fellow Kneelos - I'm new to this site and am a returning KB'er (70's, early 80's). Been thinking about going to Oceanside in Feb, not to compete but just to check it out & hang with some like-minded people and hopefully to get plugged back in. I assume there is a lot of riding going on besides at the contest venue? Is there a "base hotel" everyone is using? Any other comments / suggestions would be appreciated :!:
"It's not an adventure till something goes wrong" - Yvon Chouinard
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Ha!

Just drove through Rockin yesterday AM...

My $.02 is to go and see all the designs, riders, etc.

Lots of hotels in the area. I'm not sure if there was a 'home base.' As the time gets closer, check the contest thread. There's some listings there already.

We opted to stay fairly close to the evening venue (hick!)

Since hotel availability is good this time of year, check the long-range forecast to see if the surf is worth it.

Whatever the surf conditions are, add a few points for the experience of surfing with heaps of other kneelos. Gotta try at least once!
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

NorcalPete...... SF is right...... There is lots of places to stay and fairly close by..I`m one of the regulars that surf O`side all the time and i`ll be there on sat to hangout with everyone. It`s always fun see old and new buddies. Hopefuly we`ll get waves this time..
Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jack Beresford »

Pete,

As a contest organizer I'm a little biased - but I think most first-timers have a pretty good experience regardless of how they do in their heats. Don't miss the evening gathering each night. A big part of making the most of the week/weekend is to get some fun surf outside the contest. While North San Diego County gets good - I would suggest you allow time to travel down to San Diego which has a lot more variety of breaks. February is prime season for us and while it may not be as big as NoCal, it's usually a lot cleaner before/during/after the storms roll through. Lots of kneelos down this way as well - and I'm sure a few would be willing to share their local knowledge once you're down here.

In terms of hotels, I'd suggest staying near the contest Friday/Sat and come down this way any other days. I think there's a Travelodge in LaJolla about a block from Windnsea. That would be a good, central spot to launch from.

Jack
NorCalPete

Post by NorCalPete »

Jack - Thanks for the info. Judging from the info on the main site, it looked like the contest had already filled up. If there's still room, maybe I'll give the contest a go. Sure looks to be stacked with some good surfers, but who knows :?:
"It's not an adventure till something goes wrong" - Yvon Chouinard