'Pa' and 'Ma' Bendall Memorial Contest - 16 and 17 Feb 2008

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

'Pa' and 'Ma' Bendall Memorial Contest - 16 and 17 Feb 2008

Post by Shelfbreak »

WindanSea Boardriders Club (Caloundra - Sunshine Coast Queensland) is holding the 34th annual 'Pa' and 'Ma' Bendall Memorial Contest 2008 on the weekend of 16 and 17 February 2008.

WindanSea, which is primarily a shortboard club, reinstituted an open kneeboard division in the contest in 2006. In 2006 and 2007 we had 16 kneeboard competitors. This year we have hope to attract a bigger field with entries capped at 32 (same as the shortboard open).

The cost of entry is $75 and the prize pool will be determined once entry numbers are finalised. We anticipate running kneeboard heats and quarters at a separate break to the shortboard venue with semis and the final being run at the main venue and adjudicated by the event judging panel. All contestants receive a bag of goodies which typically includes a contest T-shirt, baseball cap, wax and a voucher for a pair of Souls thongs amongst other things.

Last year the finals were held at Moffats which is a spectator friendly break and several hundred people watched the kneeboard final, which was taken out by Baden Smith.

Anyone keen on participating please PM me and I can email/post you an entry form.

Best regards

Anthony
Shelfbreak
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

Wish I could,
but
heading back to Vic ... to attend a wedding
8)
perhaps next year
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Anthony,
thanks again for the invite but as I emailed you, changing work commitments have hamstrung me. I know both yourself and Daryl are putting a lot of work into this to rebuild a good profile for kneeboarding in Queensland, and I salute you for it, it'd be great if Aussie kneelos that are able to, to get out there and support you guys....great to see Baden getting involved, how about some other high profile members of the kneelo community sticking there hand up and promoting the sport to a fairly exclusive competition that is accepting the Queensland kneelo as part of the comp .....I understand Marcus Haig was also a competitor....did I hear that Gavin was also in one year.
I understand that people have other commitments in life (as I do with my work) but if there is anyone out there that is able to make it please contact Anthony and support him and Daryl in trying to promote the sport that has copped a bit of a battering in Queensland lately.
I hope to see both Anthony and Daryl at the Bendalong comp. with good news regarding the Ma & Pa Bendalls.

Cheers Wolruss
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

g`day Russ & Kev.
Hey Anthony, you forgot to mention the water temperature is 25, weather beautiful and we`ve had waves most days the last month.
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Thanks Mick
Yes it is warm, I was sweating when paddling back out the other day.

Thanks Russell
Steve Thomas also needs to be acknowledged in getting the kneeboard division back in the contest in 2006. We have had some good riders the last few years, Baden, Danny Lutjens, Marcus Hague, Glenn Bitton, Craig Ashdown, Pat Bright, Dave Parkes and Darren Gibbs to just name those who would be familiar to kneelos who follow the KSA circuit.

The Pa and Ma Bendall is the second longest running surfing event in Australia (to Bells) and attracts high calibre riders and luminaries. Rabbit Barthlomew competed last year (in an age divsiosn) and Michael Peterson was a honoured guest of the club the year before. Joel Parkinson (a former Caloundra boy) has competed previously and local pro Wade Goodall entered last year.

It does represent a good chance to showcase quality kneeboarding to a broader audience.
Shelfbreak
wolruss

Ma & Pa Bendalls Memorial

Post by wolruss »

Hey Shelfbreak,
I've started this post 4 times with the computer crashing each time, so I've snuck in and am using the young fellas box. I was wondering how the comp went, who turned up? and what placings there were?, how young hoppy Skilling is going with his leg in plaster?.........was the whole thing a success?
Hey I hope to see you guys down at Bendalong in a few weeks, I imagine hoppy'll still be hobbling around tiling swimming pools, but what about you guys, coming down?
Cheers Wolruss
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Hi Russ and others

This year's Pa and Ma Bendall Memorial went well despite average surf.

The kneeboard heats and semis were contested at Currimundi (beachbreak) on Saturday in squally conditions. The key to getting through was to link up the outside break with a reasonable workable inside section. Simon and Baden handled the conditions well as did Danny Lutjens and locals Drew Abdy, Marcus Hague, Scott Berry and Nick Culbert. One surprise in the semis was a large stingray surfacing between Scott and Simon mid heat. It's alarming when they bend up edge of their wings as they are distinctly triangular.

The final was held at Ann Street Reef in onshore conditions on Sunday which I unfortunately missed watching due having to catch a plane for work. The boys tells me the finalists put on a good show in testing conditions with honours going to Simon Farrer, second place to Baden Smith, third to Drew Abdy with Marcus Hague in fourth. There's a write-up at:
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/fe ... all-crown/

Thanks to WindanSea boardriders for supporting the kneeboard division and a particular thanks to Simon, Baden, Danny L and Pat Bright who made the trip up. It's great to have some big hitters in the draw.

Regards

Anthony
Shelfbreak