ATTENTION VICTORIAN KNEEBOARDERS

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Stanley
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

ATTENTION VICTORIAN KNEEBOARDERS

Post by Stanley »

Hi everyone,
The Victorian kneeboard Title is on the line. The Victorian Masters Titles is being held at Woolamai Phillip Island 3rd & 4th May 2008. Entry has to be in by 25th April.

Entry can be downloaded from http://www.surfingaustralia.com/eventde ... ?eid=15042. Contact details are
Po Box Torquay Vic 3228 Phone (03)52612907 or fax (03)52614460.

You will also need to have surfing Australia Membership; you can get it from here. http://www.surfingaustralia.com/ratings.aspx

We need as many K’boarder as possible to go to and support this event. To show surfing Australia that we have a strong following and a voice and opinions that need to be considered in all their decisions with surfing at a Amateur level. If you love the sport and want to see it survive TURN UP to this event.

It’s a great event and heats are 20 mins. Longer than the 15 minute heats you get at the ProAm events.

The Vic titles is a prestige’s event, has a great history and some of the best
kneeboarders in the World have won this event.

Just to name a few whom have won this event: Kneeboard Legend Neil Luke, Phill Chadwick, Rob Taylor, Tim Kadwell, Mick Decasio, Mick Brockly, Pete Fairweather, Dean Bould, Stan Kofoed, James Anderson, Red Cegklowski the Current holder of the state tital

All these surfers on their day are world beaters.

Contest are Awesome fun and will/do Improve your surfing so if you wan too surf hot compete and maybe your name can be added to this list. Not only that you will get to meet some great people , catch up on stories and have some fun going freesurfing with other like minded super keen kneelos and keep k boarding alive in state rounds .

By the way Red reckons he gunna keep hold of his title and we aint got a chance of taking it away from him .I for one want to test his non founded foolish theories. And I need others to help humble him. He tells me his newly remodeled board with the new improved nose (thanks to a reef at a secret location) has improved his chances of 2 state titles in a row… “we will see Red”…

second I want to get a kneeboard club started in Vicco.

Our Kneeboard club can be associated with either Phillip Island Board riders or Peninsula Surfriders clubs. This is a great idea as this lets us use their clubrooms and gear .

But we run our events for ourselves some of my Ideas are: An open event for all age groups… Double elimination… So every one gets at least 2 heats and a chance to make a final.
Age group event, open the age division up so we can have more surfers per division.
IE. Cadets 10 to 16 yrs
Juniors 16 to 25 yr
Open senior 26 to 45 yrs
Masters 46 to 55 yrs
Senior masters 55 + yrs

So you can see the minimum amount of surfs per contest would be three times, x 5 rounds. Best 3 results would give you your aggregate score.

And in the event that surfing vic takes Kneeboarding out of their events we could still get a state champ out of these contests in the open and age divisions “Yes an age divisions state champ”.

This would also allow Vicco Kneeboarders compete against the NSW clubs in their team’s challenge event.

Please Pm or email me your interest so we can get thing on the go or contact islandjim

www.kneeboardsurfingvic.blogspot.com
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Ha,
I won't be with you in the loser rounds , Stan! I'm podium headed (no board lending this contest!)

Made sense otherwise
Great post

Red
slats
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by slats »

that will be a first won't it Red :P :P :P
mFox

cya there boys

Post by mFox »

Hey Stan,

Cya there my man, we'll have to give Redmond a bit of a tickle.

Just a word of warning...... stay out of the happy sack before the comp, you married people have to conserve your energy now, you no longer need to practice making babies ;-) and expending all that board breaking energy.

Vicco club is the go so we can mow!!!

Fox
Fox
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

Hope to see a good turnout . I will be away at work but keep us posted
finger

Post by finger »

Thanks for the heads up Stan.
I will be there
Will it count as a credit to qualify for the Worlds in NZ
red

Post by red »

Congrats to Stan Koefod on winning and becoming 2008 Victorian State Champion. Well done to Mark Foxman and Neil Owen who battled through the repercharge to take 2nd and 4th to bracket my 3rd.

Surf was ugly 6' onshore with no defined bank - just scratch around to try to find something that breaks and runs.

It was great to see Garys Finger and Clark there and Paul Irish and Anthony Scabbyknackers, too.

Nice to see that the kneeboard division was biggest one of the day (even though there were a few kneelos entered who were no-shows), especially since there have been implied efforts to get rid of kneeboarding from this event. A bit hard to justify now.
mFox

Artful dodger

Post by mFox »

Well put Red............ UGLY it was!!!!!

My congratulations to Stan with his win, well done son (you had to blow it in just the right place grrrrrrr :-))

Well done to every one who got out there to dodge those oh so nice bombs and raging rip. Fun???? about as much as the 07 Island Classic on Sunday. It was a game of the artful dodger.
Fox
islandjim

Post by islandjim »

congratulations stan, and also mark, red and neil. See you down at kitty's in the next few days and you can tell me all about it.
Great to see the numbers on the rise.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

2008 Masters Victorian Titles

On Saturday 2nd of May Surfing Victoria held their state titles contest. So I was up early in the morning 5am, throw my Stump Kneeboards and wetties in to the back of my trusty ford panel van while my wife prepared other goodies for our trip to the Island, then we were off.

The kneelo’s had to get there first as they had the biggest amount of entrants in the state titles event… More than any of the other age group stand-up surfing entrants and they were sending us out first “normally we are in last”.

So I get to the island at 715 am and the first heat starts at 730am I was greeted by an onshore six foot swell with the odd bigger heavy bomb and no define bank, there would have been some better more contestable places to hold the event so competitors could have fun, but surfing Victoria have a policy that if the event states a beach they cannot change the event to another location “this policy sucks” and is why there has been a decline of entrance in surfing Victoria events.

People want to have fun in the surf not cop a pounding in treacherous conditions like the Victorian coast line can produce, especially the beach breaks off the Mornington Peninsula and Phillip island, but the island has some great waves in protected locations that would of promoted a great fun enjoyable event.

Anyway enough of my winging, the first heat of the event was paddling out kneeboard heat 1 with Red, Garry Clark, Mark Foxman, and Irish.

A very heavy shory greeted them for the first 30 meters of paddling with a rip sweep travailing at about eight knots pulling the competitors in to some very heavy close outs. Mark and Red got out in time to just be missed by some big bombs but Garry Clark wasn’t so lucky with bomb set waves punishing and pounding him, these waves would have knocked the wind out of anyone’s sails.
By this stage Gary had been taken by the sweep to a location where he could not recover just getting pounded for the entire heat he showed so much curage and determination to keep going and cop a 20 minute pounding.

Red and Mark picked off the best waves of the heat with Red catching a 6ft left hander, slaying some powerful critical slashes finishing off in to a heavy 5 ft bottomless closeout shory turning in to the lip to execute a power reo, sending up a 12 foot spray off his board as he broke his fins out of the wave lip and a descending freefall at great speed to land his final turn. The judges scored him a 8pt ride. He finished up winning this heat and straight in to the final with the rest of the competitors in his heat having to go in to the repechage semi final.

I was in the next heat with Anthony Jewl this was his fist surfing Vic contest in 12 yrs. It was great to see him compete he had represented Victoria at the Aus titles on a few occasions in the past, so he knows how to handle conditions like this with confidence Neil Owen, Gary Finger and a no show.

I was paddling out with Gary Finger just copping a pounding paddling through a shory. You could feel the white water prying your fingers backward off the board and turning your eyelids inside-out as you were trying to paddle under the waves, pulling you back 20 metres with every pounding. The white water felt like a sumo wrestler was jumping all over your back contorting you body in to all different positions.

Finally I get out with the rest of the competitors and I watch Gary Finger take off on a 6 ft right hander as he was heading in to his bottom turn the wave bottomed out putting him in to a bone crushing nose dive wipe-out. I remember looking at him thinking I hope that doesn’t happen to me “yeah that nearly psyched me out”. A few seconds later he popped up from this pounding smiled paddled out and caught the next wave showing a ton of curage. Tony and Neil were getting a few good lefts. I had got a few one manoeuvre waves and then had lucked on to a right hand wave that ran of and allowed me to get some turns, the wave then reformed and went left and allowed me to get a few more turns scoring 8.33pt ride witch got me in to the final with Tony 2nd Gary 3rd and Neil 4th.

Mark Foxman, Gary finger, Neil Owen & Tony Jewl were in a semi final to surf off for the two vacant positions in the final to join Red and myself.

The surfing in the semi was AWESOME with each of these competitors taking it up to each other in bad heavy bone crushing conditions. They made the conditions look good with an excellent kneeboard surfing display.

Mark Foxman cought a filthy right hand wave in the semi with some great smooth moves and a power floter in the shory to finish this wave off. It was going to be hard for the other competitors to peg him back. Mark won the semi Neil Owen 2nd just edging out Tony Jewl 3rd and Gary Finger 4th so it was Mark and Neil to join Red and myself in the final.

In the final the Tide had got lower and had made it harder to find any waves running off. A lot more bottomless Woolie closeouts I got out past the shory with the rest of the lads Red was paddling about 20 ft behind me on a shallow bank when I had taken of on a 6ft closeout that only allow me to get one turn but these things were breaking on a rib smashing head spinning 4 ft deep sand bank and landed directly on Red giving him the hiding of his life leaving him disorientated and out of position for the remainder of the heat.

Mark and Neil were getting some reform rights with Mark getting the pick of the bunch by this Stage I had lucked on to a wave that ran off instead of closing out and needed one more wave to consolidate my position. As I was paddling out one had just suck up in front of me. Mark also had his sights on this wave but I got on to it and it ran off allowing me to get a few turns

The final results for the Victorian titals were 1st Stan Kofoed, 2nd Mark Foxman, 3rd Red Cegklowski, 4th Neil Owen.

The kneeboarders really put on a good show at this event normally dominated by stand up surfing and the surfing Australian governing body with there anti kneeboard and amateur surfing policies Eg. if its not profitable lets not have them in our events. With the kneeborders having the biggest division of the day and 2 of the 3 highest scoring waves of the day.
Thank to all the kneelo’s for turning up and showing surfing Vic that we are a valuable force in surfing.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

:D :D Top post Stan, can relate to your descriptions of Wooly as I competed there for the first time last year (great initiation - got me wondering whether to come down this year for another beating or not :shock: :shock: :oops: )
A good read - appreciate the blow by blow story, congrats to you and the boys for putting up a good show for the plebs.....oops ....standups 8) 8)
Will we be seeing any of you guys up at Coffs in a few weeks?

Cheers Wolruss
red

Post by red »

Coffs is one of the most expensive places in NSW for us to get to.
We think it's a conspiracy to keep Viccos out of the top pro rankings.
Offers for lifts from the Goldy or Newcastle airports would not go amiss.
wizard

Post by wizard »

:D Hows it going Stanley well done on your win.
How the hell did you get Scabby Knackers out of retirement ???????
Be getting cold down there now....
Give me a call we will have a chat Scabbs has my number