World Contest: The Best Airfare To New Zealand?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

World Contest: The Best Airfare To New Zealand?

Post by Scott »

I did some checking on-line for the cheapest airfare from San Franscisco to New Zealand for next year, and I'm not seeing anything for much less than $2500 U.S.

Please tell me I'm missing a significantly less expensive flight option, short of hopping aboard a PEMEX crude tanker...
joe

Post by joe »

Scott,

What I'm seeing is a huge price difference depending on the return date. I priced LAX to Auckland (AKL) as low as $1593 and LAX to New Plymouth as low as $1741 if your return flight is the day of the awards ceremony. Any date after that and the price goes up by over $1000.

If you search for flights leaving in a few weeks, you can find round trips for less than $1000. Maybe you need to wait for the deep discounts.

I used http://www.mobissimo.com/ to search.

Tip: Qantus does not charge extra for board bags. I don't know about Air New Zealand. If you get a AA flight (flown by Qantus), check in and check your boards at the Qantus counter to avoid baggage fees.

Joe
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

A few factors working against crew heading form USA to NZ next year

NZ school holidays are April 9 - 27 in 2009, and this might "effect" prices on flights out of NZ.
All airlines in OZ and NZ will increase(min. 3 %) tickets prices next month due to rising world oil prices - just announced today for Qantas.
Some online sites for Oz and NZ airlines will only qoute prices for April 09 in May 08 or June 08

However dont get your knickers twisted yet!

Flights to Santa Cruz for last years worlds were similar prices(over $2000) if you wanted to fly direct from Australia or New Zealand.

A few of us tight fisted souls flew via Honolulu, some of us went surfing with Buddy for the day or week or so during a layover.We saved in excess of $500 on airfares and surfed the Nth Shore as well as Santa Cruz in one trip.
If you have the time and patience, try these options
Fly from mainland USA to Honolulu,
Honolulu to Auckland
or
Honolulu to Brisbane Australia or Melbourne Australia.(surf the gold coast points or Bells and Phillip Is)

Brisbane Australia or Melbourne Australia to Auckland.

Drive from Auckland to Opunake is about 6hrs on the road including a stop off at Raglan(would you fly over Chicama, Rincon, Burleigh). :shock:

Flights for this trip approx $1500 to 2000 including taxes.

lax to hnl $550 return
hnl to brisbane $850 return
brisbane to auckland $550

good luck - contact SF Kneelo about good times :shock: to be had at the OEO hotel just down the road from Opunake. :wink:
Jamie
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

OOOEEEEOOO!

Nice tips! I'm still trying to untwist...

I'm trying to negotiate with Mrs. SFK on bringing the kids... yikes! 5x$$$ vs. 1x$$$

In the water this weekend, a guy mentioned flying into Christchurch and picking up a camper down there, saying it's a lot cheaper than picking up a camper in Auckland.

He said the reason is that most folks travel from North to South, and this was a way to entice people to return their campers up North.

I haven't started to look, but a lot of times I use SmarterTravel.com, which links into the other online retailers. They have a notification system via email that's helpful.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Can someone refresh my memory, do we have the dates yet? I could have done the flight last month from NYC to Cali to Auck for under $1500. :?
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hey Mike, all 411 is at:

http://www.kneeboardsurfingworldtitles.com/

I saw somewhere that Quantas has deals for $850 from LAX, but I think it's the dates that are driving up costs...

If anyone finds deals, please share!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks SF! I was looking last month from NYC via Quantas, and it was about $2500. but Mutiny said it was about what you said from Cali, and I could also get a JetBlue flight from the east coast to Long Beach for under 400. Quite the savings, but I haven't priced it recently. Hopefully this helps some EC guys that want to go. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
randiego

Post by randiego »

Current dates, 2009 (from the World Titles website):
- Saturday - 11th April - Official Welcome and Maori cultural welcome.
- Sunday 12th April - Tag Team Event / Age Divisions at the discretion of the Contest Director
- Monday 14th - Saturday 18th April - Open and Age Divisions
- Saturday 18th April - Presentations

From what I can see, none of the airlines (Qantas and ANZ) are even booking return dates in the correct range - it's too far into the future.

My hope is to fly to NZ for the contest, then fly on to Oz for a couple weeks. I think I'm going to let a travel agent sort that one out sometime this summer.

Other mitigating factors:
1. future change (up or down) in oil prices
2. Continued plummet of the dollar against overseas currencies :cry: :cry:
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Just checked Qantus. From Apr. 5 to the 17th (no dates past 17th) 2009 cost from LA to Auckland is $858 American. Just a check. :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock