2009 KSUSA Titles in Santa Cruz and WSA Contest in Ventura

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Will you be entering the 2009 KSUSA Titles in Santa Cruz, Jan 15-17?

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes: 84

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

2009 KSUSA Titles in Santa Cruz and WSA Contest in Ventura

Post by Jack Beresford »

KSUSA is involved with two contests in the next couple months as we prepare to send U.S. competitors to the World Titles in New Zealand in April 2009.

The 2009 KSUSA Titles will be held at Steamer Lane next January. The tentative dates are Jan. 15, 16 and 17 (although the event may be shortened by a day if necessary). This is our premier event each year and we are excited about returning to Steamer Lane – a world-class venue. Online registration will be available soon. As in the past, the event will include Open, AAA, AA divisions along with a Junior division and Women’s division. We’ll also have evening gatherings, rafflemania and an awards presentation. We’ve already received offerings of free boards from Shoelkopf, K-58, Flashpoint, Parkes, Blast, John Mel and a bunch of others. More sponsors to be announced soon. Don’t miss out!

In addition, the Western Surfing Association has agreed to include a Kneeboard division in its upcoming contest in Ventura on Saturday, September 13. The contest will be held at Seaside Park (aka “Stables”) near the fairgrounds. One-time registration will be $50 (UPDATED) and is limited to 18 Kneeboard competitors. As you may know, the WSA has been running our contest operations for all of our past events – they do a great job and are stoked to include Kneeboarding in this event. HERE IS THE LINK TO ENTER:

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Detail ... 99a0c68c53

Important: U.S. surfers interested in competing in the Kneeboard Surfing World Titles in Opunake, New Zealand next April will be required to have competed in at least one KSUSA-organized event since February 2007. This includes the KSUSA Titles held last February as well as these two upcoming events (Ventura and Santa Cruz). This is a requirement established by Kneeboard Surfing International as a way of encouraging membership and support of each country’s surf organization.

More information will be provided as it’s available.
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by KEL »

I want to do both events but with only 18 spots for Ventura, I think or would hope they would go to NZ bound contestants. I am not going to NZ, but am IN if there is a spot available :lol: :lol: KEL
skansand

Post by skansand »

shee shee !!! hell ya....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Ler

COVE IT UP

Post by Ler »

How can I find out who is qualiflied? Is there a list of people that have already quaiflied for New Zealand and is there a list of people that have to surf Ventura and Santa Cruz. We are having our End of the Month, Kneelo Cove meeting soon and I need clarifaction please. Believe or not we have been gearing up and training our Team for that event already!
Ler
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Can't tell if you're serious or not, Ler.. but it's a good point.

Maybe the Ventura Contest should be first reserved for those who are committed to New Zealand, but missed Oceanside.

For example... I want to go to NZ... but I'm already qualified... so shouldn't guys like Barry and Jack and Lerner (who missed O'side) be given 1st crack, in case they're hurt/busy and can't make Santa Cruz?

After that, let guys who don't have the resources to travel to Santa Cruz fill the remaining spots to get that cool contest experience.

Contest are rare... with only 18 spots, maybe we should share the wealth... try and generate as much excitement as possible for NZ.
KEL

Post by KEL »

I agree 100%............ 8) 8) 8) KEL
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Great idea, EQ.
kbing since plywood days
Ler

COVE IT UP

Post by Ler »

Does Tom Backer need to surf in Ventura or is he quaified to New Zealand and Jack surfed a heat in O-Side is he quafied to New Zealand. We need the best going to New Zealand. How do we find out?
Jack Beresford

ler

Post by Jack Beresford »

Ler - Backer is qualified, as is anyone who surfed in the O-side contest in Feburary (I took my last place with pride - so I'm qualified).

HERE IS THE LINK TO ENTER THE VENTURA EVENT:
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I took last place twice in the Steamers contest before the O'side contest. Am I qualified? Just wondering because I am going to NZ, but wouldn't mind entering, or just soul kneeling. If not qualified, I could enter the WSA contest just to support the KSUSA. I am coming to Cali this year, probably not in Feb. of 2009 before NZ. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
wino

Post by wino »

Hey I surfed a heat in the rained out contest. Do I qualify?

A little roady to Ventucky could be fun though. Any of you PH guys want to show Wino some love? :o
Jack Beresford

qualified

Post by Jack Beresford »

Mike, we'll make special dispensation for right coasters - just paddle out at Rockaway on any day in January in your trunks and a KSUSA shirt and we'll qualify you!

Seriously, East Coasters planning on going should send me a PM. We can probably work something out.

LINK FOR ENTERING VENTURA EVENT ON SEPT 13:

Last edited by Jack Beresford on Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

<<<qualified beach watching kneelo for NZ Worlds
.....will be too tired from knee riding Raglan Autumn swells the week before 8)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
JackG

Post by JackG »

I'm a local so would love to surf the Ventura contest. I've "qualified" for NZ by surfing in the Oceanside contest and have the resources to go, so would also be glad to not register if some else wants to qualify for NZ. I can't say that I'll be competitive if I go to NZ in any way but stoke, but it sure sounds like a good time to me.

Given the interest is KSUSA going to try to coordinate entries for Ventura? Does WSA rules allow that officially?
RT
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by RT »

I am already 'qualified', but not likely to be able to make the trip to NZ.

Even tho Stables is my "home" break, I'd gladly bow out for any NZ-bound kneelo that needs to "qualify".

On the other hand, if any spots be open for local talent, I'm sure anyone can imagine how badly I'd like to surf this contest.

BT