2009 KSUSA Titles in Santa Cruz and WSA Contest in Ventura

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Will you be entering the 2009 KSUSA Titles in Santa Cruz, Jan 15-17?

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes: 84

evans
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by evans »

Does anyone know who won the Team Competition?
DEZDIG

Post by DEZDIG »

Clear skies, warm weather, and in each of the heats different surfing conditions for all.
What a weekend, starting with the very generous hospitality from the Mel’s to open their home for the kick off gathering Wednesday night. To waking up Thursday to see one to one and a half foot surf, but not a problem for this group. A little delay and by 9:00am we were on. Everyone got wet and through the first round, and waiting for the swell to hit the next day. The nighttime gatherings were just as impressive as the surfing. Some of the (fish) stories I heard, and see friends and meeting fellow kneelos from the area was great.

Friday morning had some hope to it, 1 to 2 foot surf. Just like the day before, not a problem for this group. A little delay and we were on. Saw some very impressive knee boarding from all competitors. As the day went on, so did the surf. By midday 2 to 4 ft and still building. Just listening to EQ on the mike got me pumped up. Ended up surfing 5 heats on Friday, over 2 hours of surfing with only 4 guys at the famous Steamer Lane with good waves. Can ask for much more than that.

Saturday we have waves. WOW the finals were very electrifying. From the groms, big boys, and ladies. Each heat showed what knee boarding is all about. Congratulations to all the finalist. Standing along the cliffs, I had so many people tell me that “ I like watching this better than (standup surfing) because they flow with the wave better” “not as jerky”. Well with said it was time to get wet. Caveman brought me down to Pleasure Pt. showed me the ropes on the different peaks, and what a session. First time surfing with a sea otter, too cool. Thanks CM, great time.

Ok this may sound vain but is there going to be a listing some where of our current rankings after these contest. I’m not going to NZ, but it might be something I can brag about to my grandkids. Just wondering.

Once again you gave a long time kneelo a weekend he won’t forget. From great surf to even greater people. All the guys at KSUSA exceptional job. To the kneelos I see every now and then, lets make it more now then then. Again to the Mel’s, and the new friend’s I meet. THANK YOU.

Anthony A.
Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

rankings

Post by Jack Beresford »

Anthony,

We're working on posting the rankings - based on how everyone finished. Beyond bragging rights, this will be used as we seed future comps ensuring those who did a decent job don't get stuck with Barry or Mutiny in their first heat!

Glad to hear everyone's stories! Someone post a pic of the Kneelo Cove shirt!

Jack
mike schmaeling

2009 Contest

Post by mike schmaeling »

Hi All,

I only got to see a couple of hours of the contest. Got a few pictures of Friday afternoon's heats. Just posted them on the 2009 event link. I agree with Barry, Scott W. got the wave of the day! It was great to see you all again!!!!!

Mike
KEL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by KEL »

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone involved in the contest, competitors, the behind the scenes people and of course the MAN... John Mel and his family. Again, I had a great time with old friends and met some really nice new ones. It was last minute for me whether I was going to make it up (work, family etc) but got the green light all the way around and hit the road. Stayed with Casey and his wife (mom & dad....KIYA)(just kidding) the 1st night then with Akio the next 2 (Knocked over Akios board and broke the fin off in about the 1st 30 seconds I was there) :oops: :oops: He was very cool though. Brad said something about "vibe" and I get such a great vibe from all of you every time we get together, THANK YOU. Kel

P.S. congrats to Kiya it was great meeting you and also nice to meet Mr. Crowley and his girlfriend, all very nice people
Jack Beresford

press coverage

Post by Jack Beresford »

Press coverage on Surfersvillage.com:

http://www.globalsurfnews.com/news.asp?Id_news=38611

And Surfline:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/conte ... ors_21822/

And Surfermag.com

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... ost1503105

(Photo credits actually belong to Bob Gove and Boots McGhee)
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
evans

Post by evans »

So...was there a team competition? Anyone? Anyone?
Scott

Post by Scott »

No team competition this year. Sorry.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Wow, another great event! The stoke that each surfer brought to Santa Cruz was amazing. Of course, it's so cool to renew friendships, and make new ones and to see everyone continue to push their surfing.

Congrats to Gav, Tom, Barry, and Rob!! Worthy finalists all :D Very impressive surfing.

There was quite a bit of excitement as we looked forward to each day wondering how much bigger/better the surf was going to be with the backdrop of epic wintertime California weather. The water was refreshing even in my 3/2 that I wore for several heats. The post contest afternoon session with several other kneelos was fun as well!

Can't wait for NZ and the next KSUSA Titles 8)
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey, one other thing!

Take a look at the home page. You can purchase contest clothing at a reduced price. John Mel has graciously agreed to coordinate these sales for KSUSA. I think this is the first time a beanie has been available as well. The hoodies are warm, high quality and the posters are rad.
KLHK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by KLHK »

If I were to judge the contest and my time in Santa cruz last week I would definately give it a "WOW" and a "SH!T". The vibes were great, with a perfect balance of fun and competition. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and am amazed at all the stoke and support everyone generated for each other.

A huge bear size canadian thanks to all the organizers and sponsors.

Also, thanks to Sheri and Creediler for looking after me when I arrived in San Fran and for the great food on wednesday evening. Thank you to Kim and Jon Mel for welcoming me into their lovely home, and to Jon and Nora for the friday feast. Thanks to all the folks who gave me t-shirts, snacks and made me peanut butter sandwiches. I lucked out with a ride to SFO sunday, so thanks to Jack as well.

I am back to scraping ice from my car windows and daydreaming about warm weather and good surf. Refocused with hopes to see you all in NZ in a few months.
Until then take care,
Kiya
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Being the slave to fashion that I am, I have to put in the good word on the KSUSA contest gear that Brad was talking about. . .

I have been spotted recently all over SLO county with my hoodie, or my t-shirt and especially cool- my black beanie with the KSUSA contest logo embroidered on it. . . well lets just say it's like I'm wearing Hi Karate! :shock:

Get them while you can!!!
Jack Beresford

kneelo cove

Post by Jack Beresford »

More press coverage - this time in HB Community news. Kneelo Cove - your secret is out!

http://www.hbnews.us/communit3.html
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Nice post Jack 8)
However, at this point I would think the "dark secrets" still remain underwraps :wink:

Tom, what a great contest you had :D Congratulations to you in a big way!

Barry, congrats on charging into another final 8)
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) thanks Jack for the link! hope your feeling better

and thanks Brad :D It was awesome surfing a couple of heats together and sharing the Lane with only a few of us out

I know we will all have a good time in New Zealand and I look forward to sharing a few good reefs and point with you and the boys 8)

hopefully we can get together a few times before NZ and surf a few heats to prepare