world titles NZ

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

world titles NZ

Post by budgie »

Hi all

could someone give me a rundown on the type of waves that can be expected in April 09.

Big or small, reef or beach, if it is big are the waves good shape or is there a protected bay from onshore winds etc etc

thanks

Budgie

ps Booked my airfare yesterday
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

check the recently posted pictures by Hooper.... 8)
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Just wondering, what are the water temps, and the shark situation on the reefs during the World's? Are the reefs way way out there, or close to shore? I am thinking of bringing my water camera. Looking for local help with the questions. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
red

Post by red »

Been to a couple of contests run out of Opunake. Expect potentially freezing weather while the sun toasts to leather any exposed skin (no ozone, you see). Might also be cooking.

Contest moved to various locations, mostly rocky points (think rocks poking out the base of the wave on the inside), but the last world's there was in big beachbreak. Expect 2'-10'. I've been locky with offshores, but it obviously does blow onshore and so some sites are chosen because they offer some protection (but not perfectin in the onshore). Could be based in a (soon to become) muddy paddock on someone's farm or in an urban environment.

Tidal difference is around 3meters (10ft), so the waves change constantly. One minute fat on the outside ledge, the next set barreling. The set after crumbling on another ledge even further out. Here's pics
album_showpage.php?pic_id=16046

First heat you can walk 50m to the waters edge. Next one you have to start walking at the beginning of the previous heat, because the water's retreated 300m and it's a slippery walk across boulders.

Sure there's sharks, but I didn't notice locals freaking out too much. It did my head in when I was the only guy out on this point that just extended out into the middle of the ocean. I just sort of hung out mid-point where the waves were a more comfortable 6-8' and the water not quite so black and deep. Be consoled that there are lots of cows and sheep that roll down the cliffs into the ocean, so the noahs are probably well fed ;-)

Water temp is warmer than Vicco (15-19 range), in my recollection (Santa Cruz?). But if there is snow on the volcano, then the wind can be icy (never mind, you can always lover your damp crotch on an electrified fence, if you need a sudden jolt of warmth!). Al the fences seeem to carry charge (and some gates, too).

The world university games are on at the same time, same area, so you have a chance of finding yourself a buffed Shiela (or Betty, (or Bertie) or wahtever) to warm up your stay.
albert

Post by albert »

when are these pics from Red?
red

Post by red »

2005 or so (Darn time flies when you get older!)
budgie

Post by budgie »

Thanks guys for the info

Is there a local out there taht can fill in the gaps

and give some tips

Budgie
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

world titles

Post by HOOPER »

wot to expect taranaki is a swell magnet any thing frm 1/2 m to the 6m swells that have been hammering the place most of the winter. easter is early next yr so water and air temps not so bad 2/3 -3/4 wettie would be fine .i havent seen a noah the whole time i,ve been going down 12 or so yr s not saying they not there but the water a little murky out of sight out of mind as for swimming out with a camera no problem so are quite close to shore it,s just at low tide it seems that your sitting in the middle of the tasman sea good surf sites to look at are surf2surf.co.nz surf.co.nz these should give all the infro u need . standard foot wear gumboots[wellies]don,t no wot they called in the states hooper