Big Sur Gathering

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarcyM

big sur camping

Post by DarcyM »

Hey Scott -

I love camping in Big Sur area - it is so beautiful. I'd be happy to join you up there if I can swing the time. I've never surfed in that area, but there's plenty of other activities if the surf doesn't cooperate. I've been to Andrew Molera and Big Sur Campgrounds, but not familiar with Plaskett Creek or Willow Creek.

As long as the elephant seals aren't hanging around the beach, I'll go!
8)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfseeker7
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Fullers

Post by surfseeker7 »

Anyone on this board ever surf Fuller's ? I know it's supposed to be the most local spot in California, with the exception of Lunada Bay perhaps. I almost made the hike down one morning several years ago, but my buddy freaked out at the sight of some swarthy looking locals pulling up to the trail entrance.

I remember Fullers was outed several years back in the infamous 2 part New Yorker article "Playing Doc's Games" focusing on San Francisco surfer Mark "Doc" Renneker. I wonder if any of the locals there are kneeboarders, or if any of you guys in Santa Cruz and points south ever surf that spot ?

~SS7
ScottMac

Big Sur gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Big Sur gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Fuller's is a great wave but a long walk back up! I've spent a lot of time all through the Ventana Wilderness and camped down there when I was a youngster, before it was a surf spot.

Surfed it years ago... before and after localism. A friend lost his wind- shield and had to drive back to La Selva Beach with the wind full force in his face.

I believe there is a KBer on this site that lives in that area and knows the stretch of the coastline well.
kbing since plywood days
Scott

Nice Idea

Post by Scott »

Sounds like a nice place to have a gathering. I, too, have never been down Big Sur for a surf and would like to try it. The timing of the Gathering (late summer/early fall) is also traditionally the time of the Baja Gathering (I went to the one in 2003--lots of fun). Maybe we could have the Baja trip every other year and the Big Sur trip on the off years. Maybe Bruce, Tom, Mark, Danny, Wayne, Will and the Blacks Boyz could come up north a bit next year for this instead of down to Baja. Just a thought... Keep me posted.
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

A Big Sur Gathering sounds great. Plaskett is a killer place to camp and bring the family. Sand Dollar and Willow Creek both have great waves and are consistant that time of year.
Fullers is a real good wave. I surfed there several times in the early 90's. Never had any hassles but I always went alone and knew my place. That being said I saw one unfortunate guy get his a$$ kicked for not following the rules.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Would bringing 30 or so Kneelo's to Big Sur be following the rules and is there a spot there that can handle that many people in the line up. I know its beautiful in Big Sur (been there a few times) but is it a good place for a gathering. Just thinking out loud.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Mike, having 30 kneeboarders may cause a shock to some people, but as mentioned before other clubs do the same thing at this place. Pacific Valley, where Plaskett Creek campground is located is far removed from Fullers.
The great thing about Plaskett Creek is that near by Sand Dollar State Beach handles the wind real well and often stays glassy all day, it is also a big beach with a variety of peaks. This type of set up enables you to surf in shifts. This dilutes our presence in the line-up lessening our impact on the crowd. In addition to Sand Dollar there is Willow Creek. This place does have a local crew that might bark if several people showed up at the same time. However, if done properly, Willow Creek offers very good tubing surf over a mixed bottom. Both of these spots go off in the late summer and early fall when we get So. Hemi's.
For those of you who live in that area I envy you.
Ler

GATHERING

Post by Ler »

I'm sold, sounds like a great time to bring the family too.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Fall in Big Sur would be unreal. Sand Dollar also has a lot of space for a big group of aggro kneelos.
I have also surfed Fullers a few times, and I got a bit of static, but at the time I was 6'4", 225lbs, had a shaved head, and I thought fighting was fun.
EQ
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

As was stated before, the Santa Cruz Longboard Union regularly camps at Plasket.....and thats over 30 LBers in one spot. KBs are only half as long as a LB so we'll never be noticed.

When I make the next Gathering/camping trip, remind me to tell the story about the Longboard Union, the pizza joint and the hand grenade.....
kbing since plywood days