Big Sur Gathering

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Miller Smyth
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Miller Smyth »

A Big Sur gathering would be a GREAT idea, I have camped along that area a number of times and I can attest to the fact that it is a environment that you can really live and let live in. I would love the opportunity to bring my brood out to enjoy. We had great camping experiences camping at Plaskett Creek Campground in 1999 and Kirk Creek Campground in 1992. What a great area, I would love to make it west for this one if it could happen.
Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Hi guys

Post by Jon Manss »

There's even a local knee boarder down Plasket Creek way. His name is Troy (we call him Troy pie). He's an old Sewer Rat from SC. I'll have to figure out how to get in touch with him. Jon
barry

big sur

Post by barry »

sounds great I usually make 2 camps up there a year with my girl.would love to paddle out with some friendly faces you can count me in..
Barry
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Plaskett Creek is one of my all-time favorite campgrounds -- I've stayed there a number of times while in college with surfer buddies and post-college with my family. There are hiking trails, a jade cove and other distractions nearby to keep family members occupied. The little school next door also hosts some funky festivals and swap meets from time to time.

Last time I was there it was still a first-come, first-reserved campground -- there was no advanced registration system like the have for state beaches and campground. Is that still the case? That would be the one problem -- all of us show up at once, and there's not room enough for us all with the late summer crowd... However, there is one or two "group" campground sites at one end of Plaskett Creek -- if we score one of those, we would have room to pile in a bunch of people.

Anyway, it's a great area, I've scored great conditions at Sand Dollar and Willow Creek, and it'd be fun to go back.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Count me in for either date. The latter date really makes sure all the kiddies are back in school and not in the line up.

Dan
kbing since plywood days
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Big Sur gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller Smyth

Post by Miller Smyth »

I would say given the vehicle requirement two sites might be the way to go. My family would count for one vehicle with two adults and two kids. With any luck we would look to rent a VW poptop from California Campers which rents Volkswagen Campers out of LA and SF. if you don't know about them, check them out @ http://www.californiacampers.com/.
Scott

Great Idea

Post by Scott »

Scott #1,

I'm 80% sure I could make either weekend. I've never surfed any of these areas, even though it's not too far from San Jose. I'd enjoy the opportunity! Thanks for being willing to do some of the prelim organizational work.

I just wonder if the annual kneelo Baja trip will be happening about the same time, and I'll have to choose between the two? I had a lot of fun at the one Bruce Royer put together last fall.

Scott #2
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsurf

Post by gsurf »

Folks,
Plaskett creek campground was the site for the "Swaylock's Surfboard Design Forum" (checkout the website) gathering this last September.
Basically, a bunch of amateur (myself included) and pro board builders who got together to swap ideas and ride each others boards including a GG Velo KB reproduction!!!. Very kool! We had reserved the group campsite and it worked out well. I guessing we had somewhere around 50 people. We had 2-4 ft surf with perfect conditions. Crystal clear water and balmy weather.
Plus an amazing vibe in and out of the water.
PS-- I was the only guy on a KB.

It would be very kool to recreate that vibe with a KB gathering.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm there! I've marked all of our calendars. There is the gentleman who lives in Cambria who, I think, bought Greenoughs' boards. Maybe we can approach him to bring up a flex or two to ride..........

Scott, what do you want to do re: deposit, etc.? Maybe the KBers who live in the area can get together and help host this thing you've created.
Let us know...............and thanx!

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Big Sur Gathering

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.