What class would I be?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Mason
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

What class would I be?

Post by Mason »

I'm interested in entering one of your kneeboard contests but i've noticed you have a class AA, AAA and an open how do I know which division would be appropriate for me? Please help me, I am from honolulu so i'd have to make arrangements and want as much information before I plan my trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 8)
"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Mason,

Keep the dates open, it'll be great to have you in Santa Cruz!

Everyone is entered into the Open. Those who do not advance in their 1st heat surf again and have a 2nd chance to get back up into the Open. But, those who again do not advance fill up the heats of the AA division. It's cool because they surf through to their own Final.

Likewise, those who remain in the Open a bit further but eventually lose will fill the AAA division, but those who keep advancing make it to the Open Final.

So, a minimum of 3 heats but a reasonable chance to surf 4 heats or more. All in all it's a great time that just has to be experienced to really see for yourself. Santa Cruz is an awesome place 8)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The nice thing about the ksusa contests is that the main purpose is to give everyone a lot of water time and the opportunity to hang out with fellow KBers. The kb contests are basically a Gathering with heat sheets.

All the organizers should be congratulated for their consistent dedication to providing Fun-Fun-Fun for the KB community.
kbing since plywood days
Mason

Post by Mason »

This sounds great I will do my best and thanks for the reply!
"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
Scott

Post by Scott »

Mason,

Come and bring some of the other Hawaii kneelos with you! You know at least one day will have 8-10' faces. Ya just need a decent wetsuit...
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Glad to hear that about the KSUSA contests Surfhorn.
I have been kicking around the idea of coming out from the East Coast - But was a little concerned since I haven't ridden KBs much and i would be traveling out by myself
Would like to attend a gathering, I have only surfed with 2 others KBs since picking it up last year

I visited SC about 10-12 years ago, a really beautiful place and caught the Lane at fun size with only a handful of guys out (Thanksgiving evening ) and had a blast. Probably worth the plane ticket just to get a few waves there during a heat LOL

I think I'll go for it - but looking for a little info/help

How cold is it at that time of year?
Would a 4/3 work @ that time of year or should I bring a 5/3 ?
Any suggestions on an inexpensive motel close to the action?

Wondering about picking up a board out there since the Airlines are getting outta hand with board fees, suggestions?

Is the registration online yet?

Thanks for all the help
Jim N
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Having both a 4/3 and a 5/3 is the call. Nothing better than a dry suit for the next heat.

Many motels within minutes of The Lane (you can walk it) - I'm sure KSUSA will have some deals set up soon. I worked with one motel a couple years ago and they dropped their price from $90/day to $50/day. YOu can double up with another KBer looking for an inexpensive room. The KSUSA is also looking for an evening venue in the same vicinity.

There are kneeboards for you to ride. John Mel of Freeline Design is the KB shaper in town. He goes through boards all the time and just puts the last one on the demo rack. There are 4-5 that you can ride and which are dialed in for the Santa Cruz area. Mostly 6'0" quads that work well.
kbing since plywood days
jimithesaint

Post by jimithesaint »

Thanks alot for the help Surfhorn - I'll be working on the arrangements, if KSUSA makes arrangements for deals that would be great.
As far as sharing a room - I wouldn't subject anyone to my horrendous SNORING :lol: :lol:

I thought John Mel might be a good option- I have heard many of you speak highly of both his boards and his character.

Really looking forward to it !!

Jim N