Kneeboard Surfing World Titles in Opunake, New Zealand

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Sparrow
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks Mike 8)
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hello,

Somewhere in the mix of events, I was asked to write up NZ tips.

Reading this, I'm a day late and $ short...

So...

Water Temp: Barry pretty well summed it up. The only difference is that I'd bring a 4/3 because that's all I have. Most of the time, surfs were in a ss full.

The O-E-O was classic! There's a pub downstairs, and a proprietor who's not shy about sharing brews...

There may be others that can sound in on this, but Don and I found just enough time to stay at Raglan for a couple days, and then bomb to Opunake. The return trip was a bomb home.

Raglan is a natural break in the trip. There's a town with places to stay.

I did get bitten a bunch around the grass, and having some repellent / itch cream would have been nice. We're not talking malarial mayhem... just a small thing...

I'm sure there's plenty more. It seemed like Raglan-Opunake was easier for a search than North of Raglan... mostly due to where the roads are.

New Plymouth has lots of spots, and is plenty more crowded. Surfs beyond the contes are best discussed with the locals, as they can steer you based on conditions, access, etc.

I'll add more as this goes...
Jack Beresford

nz

Post by Jack Beresford »

Raglan is a must for anyone going over there with a little extra time - killer town and unbelievable potential for surf!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

A bit more...

Hate to cite the reference, but West Coast Taranaki on wannasurf...

The two contest locations were Arawhata Rd and Puniho. That was '99, don't know about this time.

Puniho isn't in the map, but there are two pix for reference. '99 saw conditions like both pix. On the map, it's East of Stent Rd.

After the drive, there's a little walk to the break. There are breaks to the West, within walking distance, that were firing on Final's day.

The description, along with the pix, pretty well sums it up. It provided some great contestable walls. There were some great heats!

Arawhata, at least from what I saw, didn't have a write-up, but is on the map. It's a bit inside those electric fences, and access was by the owner's permission.

It's a right along a rock point. It's not a dramatic bend, but provided decent workable shoulders and the odd barrel.

Looking at the peninsula, Puniho was firing while winds ripped Arawhata. Puniho was probably close to flat when Arawhata was on.

Be ready to hang for awhile at either location. Definitiely have chairs, food, water, layers, good sunscreen (NZ...)

Keep checking the NZ contest site for more about contest location. That will tell alot about what to expect.

BTW, we did see Fitroy firing (inside New Plymouth.) There were all sorts of folks on it. Looked like a heaving tube fest...
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

SF, looking at Howard Lorney's photo's, the paddle outs to the waves look a bit long like OB. Are the main contest locations way out there, or more like HB, or even shorter like Pleasure Point? :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Sticking to the contest sites...

Arawhata:

Park on bluff... suit up and walk down. It's like Pleasure Point in that access is easy upcoast from the right. The paddle is maybe half of PP... it's not that far.

The length of ride is also maybe half PP. Maybe more like the length of a good Slot wave at the Lane.

Puniho:
I didn't surf on Finals day... a band of losers went to surf the point around the corner (and it was good!)

Getting out on roughly HH days, the approach was from deep around the right. It's a rock dance, but not a long paddle.

The wave ended in some rock-strewn shallows. Not as bad as a too-long Bingin ride, but still needs some thought on that last floater.

Length of ride on the lefts is roughly the same as Arawhata's rights. The paddle back out is pretty manageable.
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

i don,t what murrays plans are but the general rule of thumb if it blows from the nth head sth arawhata the dump green medows mangahue if it blows from sth head nth puniho graveyards sent rd [if we are lucky] rockys kumera patch if its strong sw the town beaches come to life fizroy back beach these about 60 ks from opanake about 40 mins drive on a strong westerly i would suggest the pub most breaks reasonable paddles being mainly reef or point breaks a walk over farm land is sometimes the case the farmers are tolerant don,t leave rubbish and leave their sheep alone :D come and explore and enjoy
joe

Post by joe »

Ler

Team usa

Post by Ler »

I just wanted to wish all kneelo's safe travlers to New Zealand. I wish you all the best. Go team usa. Do your best!

Ler
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Ditto what Ler said.

Received this Reggae tune from a buddy who lives in Kingston JA and made me think about everyone headed to the worlds.

Try Hard - by Anthony B from 'Without Love'

... Try hard my brothers, try hard my sisters ...

... Got to do your best and I know Jah Jah will do the rest ...

... While the sun shines you must make hay ...

In the proud Jamaican tradition, I'll make a bootleg and send a copy down to da cove.

:lol:

Best wishes everybody :!:
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

8) thanks guys
I hope we get some smokin surf in NZ we'll be wishing you guys were there :D
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Looking forward to having a few sessions together mutiny in NZ hopefully like that dam photo you posted just before :o

For anyone interested in who has entered the event, I got this list in today from Phil Miller

Phil Miller
Ian Walker
Craig McDonald
Mark Jeffrey
MURRAY WEIR
Albert Munoz
Chayne Simpson
Jon Uffindell
Marc Sanson
john mc gill
greg budgen
Gavin Colman
david parkes
Justin Stevens
scott Feeney
jim brown
kendall lloyd
Gary Finger
Eric Viil
Simon Farrer
mike fernandez
Scott Wessling
Steve Croton
Bob Clark
James Newby
Shane Whitehouse
Peter Whitehoouse
Barry Baker
Michael McGuire
Ed Dimick
Bevan Bache
Mark Foxman
Robb Salfen
Wayne Kopit
Tom Backer
Paul Herriott
John Mel
Bill Lerner
Tom Linn
Chris Linn
Greg Shewman
Brad Colwell
Randy Reed
Nicholas McCarthy
Paul Devoy
Red Ceglowski
Dean Hollier
Michael Hollier
Craig jacobs
ROYDON STEWART
CLAUDE MAKI
Kei Fujioka
sakae umezawa
jos hadfield
matt gallagher
Paul Wright
malcolm diack
JEROME BLANCO
Joseph Quinn
Ramón Orengo
Tom Novakov
Matt Novakov
Michael Novakov
KELVIN WEIR
Tom Newton
James Gustard
darren gibbz
Mike Neal
Anthony Abhari
Mike Wright
Marc Crawford
karl ward
Bob Gove
Phillip Pickering
James 'pom' Anderson
Kiya Kelley
Nick Barkham
Jonathan Paulett
Mark McLeod
Paul Christophers
Hamish Christophers
Josh Christophers
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I think NZ is about to be invaded by kneelo's :lol:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

8)

That crew is going to break the island!

Rootin' big time over here! (Oh, wait... that culturaly may not be the right way to put it... DOH!)