Kelly Slater

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Gareth 2
Local (More than 25 post)

Kelly Slater

Post by Gareth 2 »

9 times World Champ :D 8)
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

in the scale of sports...that is not a farking human thing to do.....

...he would have to be the best professional sportsman of alltime
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Gareth 2

Post by Gareth 2 »

Kelly only did it one class of his sport Valintino Rossi has done it four different classes of Motorbike racing and he is still going also just clinching his 6th Motor GP 8) :D
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

what about how long kelly has been at the top for.....what was his first world title 94? for pure duration he would have to be up there

if you put it in class's Michael Phelps eats everyone up

dad
coach
godfather
Gareth 2

Post by Gareth 2 »

Rossi's first 125 world title at 18yr 8th at 29 and still going 8) :twisted: both Valintino and Kelly are freaks of nature and a beautiful to watch on there days :) sporting greats have a shelf lasting more than one six day period
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Well said Gareth... I thought Vale was done after losing the title the last two years, and then he came back and dominated.
Both Kelly and Vale have to be commended for having to evolve with their respective sports.
For Kelly... Maunvers, Boards and Judging criteria have changed drastically over his run, yet he always stayed at the forefront.
For Vale, not only did he win the 125s and 250s, but the MotoGP bikes have gone from 500cc 2 strokes to 1000cc 4 strokes to 800cc 4 strokes.... DRASTICALLY different bikes... yet he has a title on each.

Another G.O.A.T. would be Tiger Woods
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Steeno wrote:what about how long kelly has been at the top for.....what was his first world title 94? for pure duration he would have to be up there

if you put it in class's Michael Phelps eats everyone up
I'm going with whoever is holding our sno-cone-stained kid!

[fullalbumimg]17026[/fullalbumimg]
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Pretty cool SF. I agree Slater, and Phelps rule for now, but you guys forget the great Belgian cyclist Eddy "The Cannibal" Merckx who dominated cycling between 1968, and 1974.
Nobody, not Greg Lemond, or Lance Armstrong comes close to his accomplishments.
Eddy would not only win the Tour De France, but also the Giro d'Italia in the same year!
His record of 525 victories, including 445 as a professional, is untouchable.
Between 1968 and 1974, he won a record eleven Grand Tours. He is the only rider to win all of the classifications (overall, mountains and points jerseys) in a single year at the Tour de France (1969) and the Giro d’Italia (1968).
He won the Tour de France - Giro d'Italia double in 1970, 1972, and 1974. He won the Giro d'Italia - Vuelta a Espana double in 1973.
He has 34 Tour de France stage wins (the record) including six stages in 1969 and 1972, and eight stages in 1970 and 1974.
In 1974, he won the Giro d’Italia, the Tour de France and the World Championship Road Race to achieve the “Triple Crown” in cycling. That feat has only been repeated one other time: by Stephen Roche in 1987.
Today's Tour is won by 1-5 minutes between 1st, and 2nd places overall. Eddy would win one stage of the tour by 15 minutes. :shock: And all this before drugs. 8)
http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders ... rider_id=1
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

Hey Mike, don`t you mean all that and without drug tests!
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

I guess for this discussion you ned a criteria to be regarded the best

start a list of skills required that can be rated 1-10

Here is a start

1. Does your competitive environment decide who wins?

"MUNDAKA, Basque Country/Spain (Friday, Oct. 3, 2008) – Tom Whitaker (AUS) received an early birthday present from Mother Nature today. The soon-to-be 29-year-old Australian (his birthday is tomorrow) scored a perfect 10 to beat newly crowned nine-time ASP World Champion Kelly Slater in Round 4 of the Billabong Pro Mundaka.

Whitaker’s 10.00 – earned for deep barrel ride followed by an air-drop floater – was a hearty answer back to the 9.33 Slater posted early. Whitaker backed it up with an 8.00 to win the heat.

“I guess I’ve got to thank Mother Ocean because she looked out for me there,” Whitaker said. “That wave was phenomenal. I didn’t really do anything, I just sat there and went down the line. It was a true Mundaka gem.”

check some of his stats

ASP Records Held by Kelly Slater:

Most ASP World Titles: Nine (2008, 2006, 2005, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1992)

Most ASP World Tour Victories: 39

Oldest ASP World Champion: 36-years-old (2008)

Youngest ASP World Champion: 20-year-old (1992)

Highest Heat Total: Only perfect 20 out of 20 ever earned (Tahiti – 2005)

Most Event Wins in a Season: Seven in 1996

dad
coach
godfather
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

Mike Stewart also holds ten world professional boogie titles

dad
coach
godfather
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hi Griz, I assume you guys would know that's what I meant. Drugs, and drug testing would go hand in hand. He had a physically large heart. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Gareth 2 wrote:Kelly only did it one class of his sport Valintino Rossi has done it four different classes of Motorbike racing and he is still going also just clinching his 6th Motor GP 8) :D
I don't think they'll let RK compete in the womens' WCT Gareth. :(
But he's done OK at bodysurfing comps in the past, and I for one would love to see him compete on a longboard.

While we're at it, for the sake of fairness and all-round watermanshipnessism, what about a world tour that embraces bodysurfing, boogering, kneeloism, shortboard, longboard, single fin, twin-fin and air matress. Hell, you could throw in SUP, goat-boat and big wave tow-in for good measure. Then you'd have a world title with meaning. :)
knee_boarder

Post by knee_boarder »

Steeno wrote:Mike Stewart also holds ten world professional boogie titles
Plus at least two World Bodysurfing titles too.

As for Merckx who was an awesome rider, all the riders back then were openly taking drugs, amphetimines, speed etc. Beer was another favourite in the really early days of Le Tour - I won't go into the real cheating, catching buses or taking taxi's!

Stirling Moss when he won the Mille Miglia was taking drugs to keep him awake. I've forgotten what they called the tablets but it was essentially speed to keep him going.
szrbloke

Post by szrbloke »

Heather McKay???? just to summarise this amazing woman -

Heather Pamela McKay AM MBE (born 31 July 1941) is a retired Australian squash player, who is considered by many to be the greatest female player in the history of the game, and possibly also Australia's greatest-ever sportswoman. She dominated the women's squash game in the 1960s and 1970s, winning 16 consecutive British Open titles between 1962 and 1977, and capturing the inaugural women's World Open title in 1979, whilst remaining undefeated during that period.
all the best,

Scotty