Team USA 2009 World Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Team USA 2009 World Titles

Post by southpeakbrad »

If you're planning to go to New Zealand for the Worlds, and have qualified, please PM me with your email address as soon as possible. I'm putting together an email list for the Team and will coordinate some communication between now and then (Don and the KSUSA crew are fine with this).

Please check out the World Titles website and make sure you register in time as well.

Thanks! Brad
Jack Beresford

team

Post by Jack Beresford »

GO TEAM!!!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Any word on how many spaces will seeded from the U.S.? Are a certain number given to each major kneeboarding country--all get the same--or is there some sort of world ranking that will put a lot more seeds from one country (i.e. the aussies!)?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Yeah Jack, USA! USA!

Hey Scott, good questions. I don't want to say what I t h i n k will be the case because I'm not sure there's been recent contact with Murray. I'm sure Don will get something up here as soon as it's known or for that matter, maybe the website for the World's will be updated with some info soon.
albert

Post by albert »

Scott wrote:Any word on how many spaces will seeded from the U.S.? Are a certain number given to each major kneeboarding country--all get the same--or is there some sort of world ranking that will put a lot more seeds from one country (i.e. the aussies!)?
The last time I heard anything was that each country would be given two seeds, assuming you have 8 countries participating thats 16 people seeded directly into the round of 32. However, I think that in times past the rules have not been terribly strict and the decision as to who gets a seed is made a few days before the event (mainly so that people who cant make it at the last minute are not seeded). If I were you I would simply assume that no one will get a seed, that way if you do get one you will be pleseantly surprised. This would also help motivate you and everyone else to train a bit harder, think of how tired you would be if you had to surf something like 5 heats a day for several days straight!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

US kneelos heading to New Zealand, please send me your email address in a PM! We want to get some communication going for the Team 8)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Albert,

The reason I thought there would be more seeded than just two surfers from each country was because of the info in the official contest website

http://www.kneeboardsurfingworldtitles. ... &Itemid=41

This was the specific comment that caught my attention:
Q. There's going to be lots of entries from around the world. What's the structure of the Open?
A. There will be a limit of 160 entries in the Open mens.

32 surfers will be seeded to the round of 64, the remaining 32 will be selected from the "Trials" - preliminary rounds of the 128 unseeded surfers

We'll take the rankings from each country and create a draw for everyone else that distributes the talent level across the draw with as much balance as we can.
[/quote]
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

Quote:
Q. There's going to be lots of entries from around the world. What's the structure of the Open?
A. There will be a limit of 160 entries in the Open mens.

32 surfers will be seeded to the round of 64, the remaining 32 will be selected from the "Trials" - preliminary rounds of the 128 unseeded surfers

We'll take the rankings from each country and create a draw for everyone else that distributes the talent level across the draw with as much balance as we can.

Hey Scott,
I think there might be some provision for competitors who have done well at the more recent World Kneelo Titles but are not one of the the top two surfers in there country.

Guys like
Baden Smith - in the open final of every World title so far ( I think )
Matt Gallagher - 3 out of the last 4 finals
Kyle Bryant - 2 out of the last 3 finals.
Dave Parkes - 2 out of the last 4 finals

I dont think anyone would like to run into two or more of these guys in a trials heat, or one of them and two other top 2 seeds from each of the countries in a rd of 64 heat.

Not sure how they will fill the rest of the places, but the US and UK teams both had plenty of good surfers below their top two surfers in Santa Cruz, and New Zealand, Sth Africa, and Puetro Rico also have plenty of depth.

If you look at it for another perspective, the organisers will make sure that at least two surfers from each country will be in the rd of 64.

Hopefully it will all work out so that the talent is evenly spread across the both halves and if possible the 4 quarters of the draw.

Jamie
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks, Jamie.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

If you can't come to NZ and want to purchase a Team USA T-shirt or hoodie, both in Navy, and/or a hat or beanie let me know. We'll be placing the order this week.

Kneelo Cove should let Mutiny know, not me (he'll get me the info).

I'm not sure of price yet or colors on the hats but you'll be supporting the Team with your purchase.

Thanks!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Count me in. Where do I send the check?
kbing since plywood days
southpeakbrad

Team USA

Post by southpeakbrad »

Meet Team USA for the World Titles!
WT_2009_TeamUSA.php

SPECIAL THANKS to Joe Coyne for putting together a pretty cool page 8) :D
Also, Joe designed the logo as well :D
Jack Beresford

team

Post by Jack Beresford »

Nice job Joe!
stevea

team U S A

Post by stevea »

Great bit of work, round 1 to team U S A BY A KNOCKOUT,come on K S A Im hanging to see a counterpunch
You guys are going to have a great time NZ were the supreme hosts in 1999
Good luck all wish i was going to be there
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Go USA and go kneeboarding on a global scale!!
Count me in for 2 shirts!!
Order up Stateside boys.