Team USA 2009 World Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

team

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Scott, again great color and commentary on the conditions, heats etc.
While you guys are hitting lips and cutting back, I'm home doing poo-poo and pee-pee training with my 19 month old daughter. :lol:
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

go Barry and nice finish to Bob and the rest of you. Now go get em in the age divisions. Jon
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Wow. We KBers are alike. I'm here with my 20 month old grandson and we are also on poo poo/pee pee patrol.
kbing since plywood days
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

team U S A

Post by stevea »

Scott a man of the series effort a great read ,i assume Baden is the 5th aussie 3 contenders against 3 who have tasted the ultimate prize
Id be stoked to see any of the 6 as the new world champ ,what an effort by Paul Herriot one of the best kneelos to ever come out of Queensland hes gotta be over 55 ?obviously doesnt surf like it go Paul
It seems this event has eclipsed the 99 contest in all aspects if the surf holds up and the final exceeds the level of Parksie and Badens final wow
The only guys i dont envy are the judges if the surf is as good as the photos suggest how on earth are they going separate this lot good luck to all
Hunger desire who can maintain the fire for 2 more surfs ,im getting butterflies just thinking about what they might be thinking
Everything will be on the line in every turn ,i wouldnt be surprised to see the winner needing to score 19+
Bring it on and Scott thanks again i know all us kneelos in Indo appreciate the time and effort you ve put in and everyone else whose input has ensured this event success not to mention the rest of the kneelo world
joe

Post by joe »

Here's shot of the quarter-final scores/results and the semi-final line up from the UK site.

http://www.kernowkneelo.co.uk/Worlds.htm

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Open final

Gavin
Simon
Baden
Albert

On tomorrow :!:
Kev

Post by Kev »

good luck to all
congrats on making the final
Scott

Post by Scott »

Looks like lots of information is being passed along now. Thanks for all the encouragement. Loved the scanned photo of the Contest Board!

My update is in two parts:

1) I have put together some clips of the surfing I've shot over the last two days. Some from Team USA and some rippers you all know. Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUkGxkE5lw
Speaking of videos, if you never saw the "creative" interview with Tom Backer and Tom Linn on the progress of the contest, it's worth it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaFQTivymo

2) My usual daily update follows...

Day Five of the Six Day War is over in Opunake, NZ. The weather was a bit more somber and the mood of the contest got a bit more serious, as well.

When the Open Division is rolling down the tracks like some grand train it generates its own excitement. If you win, wow, it’s high fives all around from your buddies as you progress systematically against the best contest kneelos on the planet. And if you lose, well heck--you always have your age division to look forward to. In the cadets, the juniors, the seniors, the masters, the grand masters, the veterans, the kahunas, and the legends, ahhhh….there you won’t be matched up against guys half your age, or against those a bit older and more experienced than you. Optimism reigns.

So today the stage for our optimism was formally rolled out. While a number of semifinals and finals were surfed, the majority of heats were according to age group. But if you lost in your age group today, well…the rest of your time will now be spent cheering on the rest, going for free surfs and shopping in town. But your name is no longer being updated on the Contest Board. Your thoughts may have lots of “I shoulda done this..I coulda done that…” But your time in this surfing event is over.

But before discussing the age division results, the real focus should be on the Open Semi-Finals this morning. These top 6 surfers were greeted with a smaller swell—about head high on the sets—even stronger offshore winds (is that possible?) and cooler temperatures. The swell was also more inconsistent throughout the day, which would play a factor in a number of crucial heats.

For Team USA, we really wanted to see Barry take a 1st or 2nd to move into the finals, but his competition was stiff: Baden Smith and Albert Munoz (who I incorrectly wrote yesterday was surfing for Australia—he is surfing for Puerto Rico). Barry had some excellent waves, as did the other two—it was all top level surfing. With about five minutes remaining Barry still needed another good wave on which to score at least a 5.7 to overtake Albert in 2nd place. Baden had a comfortable lead. Barry waited patiently outside as the other two were paddling out from previous waves. Then the ocean went silent. With the seconds ticking down and Barry furiously paddling for a rogue outside wave, the horn sounded just before Barry got to his knees. He killed the wave, but the judges ruled Barry began surfing after the horn and he finished in 3rd place. Tomorrow’s Open Division Final is set and will be amazing: Simon, Gavin, Baden and Albert—all household names in kneeboarding.

One event final was actually surfed today. The Godfather, John Mel, easy defended his 2007 world title in the Legends Division. Congratulations, John! John would be the first to point out there was only one other competitor. I guess older kneeboarders just die early. The division seems wide open for us to join John in a number of years (not in dying, but in surfing as a “Legend”).

Team USA had a very successful run in the other age divisions, too. Robb Salfen is in the semis of the tough Master’s Division. Barry is also now in the semis of the Seniors. The Grand Masters division semis are well represented with Tom Backer, Mike Fernandez and Ed Dimick (who won his quarter final heat today). Finally, in the Veterans division, we are well positioned with Tom Linn, Brad Colwell, Wayne Kopit, and myself in the semis. That’s 9 guys out of the Team USA 15 in the semis for tomorrow, plus one World Championship already in the bank.

The biggest surprise of the day? No doubt it was the Master’s Division quarterfinal. Gavin Coleman opened up with a massive 9.7 ripping of a set wave. The other surfers got a few decent scoring waves as Gavin waited outside with 15 minutes, only needing to get a second good wave to advance. Amazingly, the longest lull of the four-day contest picked that unfortunate time to appear. With about 2 minutes remaining and Gavin still in third with but a single ride, he began a desperate paddle increasingly inside the lineup hunting for a last minute wave…any wave. A few came to him but backed off at the last second as he paddled like mad for them. The groans on the cliff were audible. The buzzer sounded and, just like that, Gavin was out. Mind you, he still has the Open Division final tomorrow, which I’m sure is the most important to him.

Some sort of disco/karaoke event tonight, but it sounds like most of us will pass on totally embarrassing ourselves. Bob Gove can’t wait!

Tomorrow, Friday, is the conclusion of the competition. Swell forecasts are uncertain. The awards ceremony is on Saturday.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Congrats John Mel! He just emailed me the news and am glad to see Scott posting such detailed commentary.

Contest strategy is a b*tch sometimes. Even a world class surfer like Gavan can make a wrong turn every now and then.

Go USA...much luck in your upcoming heats.
kbing since plywood days
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Congratulations John!

(That division was called R.O.B. last time around... :lol: )

Hope I make it there one day, and I'm sure it'll be sooner than I think!
Casey Patelski

Post by Casey Patelski »

Scott, Awesome reporting and video coverage. Every little bit is so valuable to us just waiting for info. The video really lets us get a taste of the conditions, environment and the vibe. Todays technology is really amazing that we can get a report from you guys instantly from NZ. Good editing and subtitle work. Thanks for all yours and everyones effort for all of us chomping at the bit. We really feel connected. Casey
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Amazing stuff, Scott. In the vid we can see what quality surf you guys have scored, and your war reporting would make Edward R. Murrow envious.

A+, teacher :D

PS. Thank God Linn didn't tell Backer to urinate on that fence.
Last edited by Man O' War on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Its been said alot, but you still need the kudos Scott!

THANKS Heaps!!

I hope you can get a photo of ALL the kneelos who participated!!

Shout out to the Tahiti team!
BillL

Post by BillL »

Great Job Boys! This is truly the next best thing to being there. Thanks for all your postings Scott, I've been waking up early before work to check how everyone is doing. This stuff blows away baseball (sorry Randy).Congrats to John, Bob and Barry for making it so far and good luck to everybody else in their divisions. So who's it going to be in the final? We've got 3 World Champions and the light and limber Albert Munoz. Anybody willing to guess?
PEPO
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by PEPO »

thank you very much for narrasion am eager hope the result :D