VIC Masters Phillip Island FEB 28-1 MAR

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

tws
Local (More than 25 post)

VIC Masters Phillip Island FEB 28-1 MAR

Post by tws »

http://www.surfingaustralia.com/eventde ... &eid=15642

Guys,

Heat Draw & Event Schedule link above.

looks like we are on sunday

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Graphs/vic.asp

It looks ugly !!!!

Regards

Travis
finger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by finger »

Thanks for that info Travis

gary
mFox

Post by mFox »

LOL.... looks like Sunday's going to be long day..... and..... oh joy!!! maybe a repeat of last years "Vortex of Terror" session.

Low Tide early for the peak swell munch fest..... :-) Sure to be some fun!!!

Keep those spare leggies handy :-)
Cya there
Fox
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Good luck guys.
I'm going fishing Sunday.
Have fun.
Regards
Red
Stanley

vic open kneeboard results

Post by Stanley »

Victorian Masters Surfing Titles 2009 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 :

The Open Kneeboard was held on Sunday the 1st of March at Woollamai Beach near the Surf Lifesaving Club House.

I arrived to see most of the kneelos grouped near the edge of the board walk greeting each other and generally checking out conditions. Similar to last year it seemed that the Kneelos were the largest amount of entrants. A stiff onshore had settled in overnight and the ocean looked very messy. There was an uneven swell with some large sets coming through at regular intervals. The low tide did make it hard to judge just how big the swell was as they were hiting the outer edges of the sandbanks lifting to show some large wave faces and then just colapsing into a closeout. The reforms were there to be had and some of the inside righthanders were runnig well considering the conditions. It was likely things would get worse as the tide would be lower during the second round heats. I didn't bother asking if there was any consideration of an alternate venue as the tent was up and things were already under way with the PA barking instructions. The competitors would just have to deal with it and be gratefull that it was quite the "Vortex of Death" that an onshore Woolly can produce. Jim made the comment that with the end of Summer, it was like the Island had fipped the switch and just turned on Winter.

Greg Budgen could be seen making his way up from the beach in front of the Club House with board in hand. He told me he had taken the oppotuhnity to blow the cobwebs out a little. Not actually his words as he was a little more descriptive with references to his nose being bloked and buckets of mucus etc. Even though Greg wasn't quite 100%, he was eager to go. However Stan wasn't his usual bousterous self as he was suffering with flu like symptoms. Red, a finalist from last year was a withdrawal as the result of a shoulder injury and had gone fishing. The rest of the kneelo crew seemed to be in good nick and good spirits and ready to go.

Heat-1 was made up of Stan Kofoed, Jim Brown, Rod Paarlberg and Micheal Di Scascio. The four headed for the right hander that seemed to have some shape and run on the inside section. The reforms were unpredictable but both Jim and Stan managed to get some early waves that behaved and they collected points. Jims big wide tail was keeping him mobile and for most of the heat was in second spot but with very little time left Micheal Di found a lumpy wave that just pulled back and transformed into a clean face that just ran on and on and on, practically to the sand.He racked up and big score and slipped Jim out of the way. Stan and Micheal through.

Heat-2 was Neil Owen, Anthony Jeweell, Travis Sutton and Greg Budgen. Greg (Budgie) headed straight out the back looking for the bigger juicier waves and found them. The first one took him from the back all the way into the sand and his second wave was even bigger and the bottom turn into the top turn slash was possibly the biggest turn of the comp.This gave him a great start and the others would need to catch him. Neil, Anthony and Travis were in a real tussle and it wasn't easy to split them apart. It was a real trade off between risk taking and finding a ridable wave that would offer some points. Some waves would run on but most of them didn't and this resulted in a lot of paddling for little reward. Perhaps Travis took the bigger risks and this took him through with Greg to round 2.

Heat-3 was Mark Foxman, Gary Finger, Mark Jeffery, and James Anderson. Mark F. was on his new Twin Fin and getting some good action on the inside section. Gary and MJ were looking for a larger wave out the back but finding some trouble with the bottomless drops and an increasing sweep across the sand bank. James 'Pommy' Anderson was also finding the pits unpredictable and took an "Elevator Ride to Oblivion". Just as it looked like there was nothing out there, Pommy found a clean inside wall and worked it very well. Foxy also found the cleaner inside wall the place to be to find some points. Both of them were through to the second round.

The second Round , Heats 4 and 5 were 3 man heats made up of one from each of the first 3 heats. The tide was at it's lowest and not at all friendly. Micheal did try the left hander but wasn't offering much so he headed back over to the right and did find some joy. Greg continued with his chase of the larger wave out the back. Even though they weren't as behaved as the one he got in the early heat they were long rides and did offer the chance for some bigger turns. Stan grunted his way through lots of tight turns in the inside reform sections that did, at times bowl up with a cleanish face. It was hard work out in the middle and picking a larger wave and ovoiding the Elevator or picking the right white water start with the hope for the reform form was a bit of a raffle. The choices looked tough from the beach and I don't think it looked any better out there. Travis and Foxy tried all variations found the elevator and did the lap to try again. Pommy was also having bad luck but did survive a huge drop and an even bigger bounce and one wave turned into a very nice wall that took him to the sand, clocking up points all the way. The points spread for these second round heats were close, very close with no real stand outs. Hard work and a little luck took Greg, Micheal, Stan and Pommy into the final.

Heat-5 the Final. By this stage the tide had turned and there was a little more water over the sandbank. Waves were possible the best thay had been all morning and there were some wave faces to be had. The bomb sets were still unforgiving and some of the drops were deep. Greg again headed for the back and got a few of the larger units but the reforms were slow and flat offering little to work. Stan and Micheal were trying to pick the more shapely faces on the inside section and both were finding lots of waves and fitting in many turns. Some really good work was being done out there and the points were being shared by all the competitors but Pommy again found some luck and on at least two waves the magic happened. He found a couple of good walls that lined up all the way to the sand, solid bottom turns with tight top turns and looping cutbacks with the odd floating slider. Excellent work Pom and congatulations. Stan in second with turn, turn, turn. Micheal in third and Greg 4th. A very enjoyable final despite the conditions.

Kev

Final Results :

1st - James Anderson
2nd - Stan Kofoed
3rd - Micheal Di Scascio
4th - Greg Budgen
mFox

Post by mFox »

Good write up Kev/Stan. One day well get something that actually is rideable for more than heat or two....

Not the Vortex of Terror but... the Torrent of Trepidation (that frigging rip that could not make up it's mind which way to go).

It might be a good idea to sort out a sacrifice for the "Island" comp later this year... be great to get a few days of really clean conditions.
Fox
Kev

Post by Kev »

mFox wrote:... Not the Vortex of Terror but... the Torrent of Trepidation (that frigging rip that could not make up it's mind which way to go) ...
:D LOL

sorry - I misquoted Foxy " Terror" not " Death"
I'll edit things for the club web page and I'll add the "Torrent of Trepidation"

Mark is right about the shifting rip, it was all over the place and just as competitors were tunning in to how it was working a bomb set would come through, the angles would shift sending the paddlers off course, catching some out forcing them to do a lap and start again.

So for the "Island" comp later this year we need to find something other than a Seal for a sacrifice.

REQUEST
While I was pointing Stan's video camera, did any one get some stills worthwhile to add to the report.
If so ... send me a small collection to help describe the above.
Reduce and compress them down to 640x480 and around 30 to 40k
give them a name that makes sense
and send them to me.
there will be the usual photo taker credit on the page

here is last years report
http://www.diyfactory.com/surf/StanKofoed/VM2008.htm
red

Post by red »

Great write up.
Almost as good as being there

Red
budgie

Post by budgie »

Hey Stan

find the SPELL CHECKER, really great article, I felt like I was there.

Oh yeah i was, excretings oil tanker size buckets of SNOT.

I think it was a great little contest with a high standard of surfing from everyone, thanks all.

Hope to see some of you at Benders

Budgie
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yes, Stanley. Thanks for the descriptive writeup. Helpful for me.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Kev

Post by Kev »

hey Budgie
blame me for the spelling
I wrote it quickly and was using a TXT editor with NO spell check

yes you did say SNOT but I though I'd clean it up a bit with mucus

the spelling will get better as I give it a little edit and upload it to Stan's Kneeboardsurfing Victoria site
where pictures from John will also be added