Pre Worlds Surf Forecast?!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Pre Worlds Surf Forecast?!

Post by albert »

Hey Everyone,

I know I probably should have spent more time working today, but I couldnt help myself and check the forecasts for NZ from Sunday onwards (which is when a few of us will be getting there). We arrive at midday, so there should be time to get a surf in if I dont end up driving too much. The one report I saw said there was a bit of long period SW swell hitting that coast probably in the 3-4 foot range with northwest or northeast winds throughout Sunday and Monday.

Any recommendations on where to surf near Auckland?

How does Piha handle Northerly winds?

Should I even bother driving north? east?

Thanks
HOOPER
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by HOOPER »

albert the swell looks good for piha if the wind has any sort of east in it ne se it should be on swell a bit small for raglan but ruapuke just over the hill will be good good luck
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

just checked forecast again east coast wed will be offshore with 2m swell whangamata bar would be a very good option raglan with be big a bit on shore but i do,nt think that will matter to much
MJ
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MJ »

So Hooper where do we go Monday/Tuesday?
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

piha i don,t think there will be a shortage of swell but of cause i,ve been wrong before
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Myself, Devo and Shewy will arrive on Sunday. We were thinking about going somewhere in the east for Sunday, Monday up to Shipwreck Bay for Tuesday, Wednesday then heading down to Raglan and on to Opanke. Looks like a strong swell will be hitting around Shipwreck's on Wednesday.

Does this sound like a good idea? We are total NZ newbies and have come up with that schedule based on looking at the internet etc.

Any input and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. We are stocked to surf and don't mind driving to get good waves.
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

tom i don,t think the swell will be quite big enough for shippies 3/m + sw winds mon tue west coast beaches swell won,t kick in till tue wed on the east coast driving times auckland shippies 5 hrs shippies raglan 6.5 hrs raglan opanake 4.5hrs hope than helps a little all lse fails taranaki will always have a wave. hoops
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

very helpful Hoop. What do you think about hitting the Northland East side on Sunday, Monday and going across to Shipwrecks for Tues, Wed? Do you think the swell will still be too small for Shipwrecks on Wed?
HOOPER

Post by HOOPER »

tom i don,t the swell think the swell will be quite big enough for shippes safer bet coromandel peninsula ,whangamata, hot water beach etc some of the nices coastline in nz then raglan these two are only 2.5 hrs apart but watch the swell if swell does get 3m + shippes is worth the hike can,t get more nz than the nth don,t know much about east coast in the far nth but i,m pretty sure there will some swell .swellmap.com is pretty accurate as is bouyweather.com hope that helps hoops