The inaugural kneelos in Indo Invitational

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by stevea »

Firstly to all the Oz surfers going to the worlds the best of luck to all of you and likewise to every competitor from every nation wish i was there but im here and in homage to the N Z event a group of sponsors and individuals have gotten behind the inaugural kneelos in Indo encounter
Briefly the most recent media release states
Invitees from the U K ,USA & Australia will compete for sponsors ,country and self for a six figure prize pool
All invitees will, as the mission statement says "richer for the experience"
Prizes will be awarded in a series of new catagories dependant on conditions
ie The most impressive tatoo -sponsored by the Reef
The better than sex barrel
The highest placed bachelor will win a long term relationship with a direct descendant of Ratu Kidul" goddess of the sea"
Heats will be untimed,point scoring directly proportional to recall of the individuals best wave -sponsored by bintang
Every entrant may nominate for any award in any category
From all the kneelos in Indo to all theose competing in NZ enjoy the experience and return to your local breaks richer for it
halbs

If the event is postponed...

Post by halbs »

Hey Steve hope all is well for you! if the event is postponed due to unforeseen circumstances and perhaps held later anytime from October on count me in- I have some good tattoos [scars] from Panaitan and may add more in the Mentawais this year!! The other catergories may be beyond me sadly!! cheers Grant
getting there is often as good as getting there
Doc Turbo

West Java Pre Contest

Post by Doc Turbo »

Grahame and I got 7 hours in the water today, and myself 6 yesterday, hopefully 6 tomorrow and so on.... The Team Indo-America prides ourselves on the tatoo category, and I achieved a fine tatoo today.

Hope your back feeling better, and the charts looking better for the coming weekend waiting period, so we can begin the contest from Feral Boats in undisclosed locations.

Doc
Doc Turbo

West Java Pre Contest

Post by Doc Turbo »

Grahame and I got 7 hours in the water today, and myself 6 yesterday, hopefully 6 tomorrow and so on.... The Team Indo-America prides ourselves on the tatoo category, and I achieved a fine tatoo today.

Hope your back feeling better, and the charts looking better for the coming weekend waiting period, so we can begin the contest from Feral Boats in undisclosed locations.

Doc
stevea

inaugural kneelos in Indo encounter

Post by stevea »

Halbs your in the tats qualify you sadly but gladiy you are ineligable for the bachelor award but try claiming the barrel is better than sex prize it might change things it must be presented by nonr other than your betroved

Doc and Graeme that much water time almost makes you ineligable but since you are responsible for a large portion of the sponsorship lets think of the bigger picture

Breaking News
At an extraordinary meeting it was proposed that any kneelo on the planet once arriving in Indo is cordially invited to the next encounter it was also suggested that any kneelo off the planet also be included
In anticiption sponsors are looking at a 7 figure prize pool
tomway

Post by tomway »

Heats will be untimed,point scoring directly proportional to recall of the individuals best wave -sponsored by bintang
Breaking news, I've heard that VOLTAREN (general all round painkiller and anti-inflamatory) have come on board to co-sponsor the above category. Together with bintang they think they can achieve great results.
Halbs your in the tats qualify you sadly but gladiy you are ineligable for the bachelor award but try claiming the barrel is better than sex prize it might change things it must be presented by nonr other than your betroved

Doc and Graeme that much water time almost makes you ineligable but since you are responsible for a large portion of the sponsorship lets think of the bigger picture
So, grahame and doc aren't eligible as they are the hosts and main sponsors (and are too fit?), and by implication (with halbs) I'm excluded because I'm married and 'that wave was better than sex' category could become a self-fulfilling prophecy :( ... so who IS elegible for the winnings :?: Ohhh... :idea:

Latest chart showing 8ft at 14 seconds! I'm starting on the voltaren today.

Good luck to everyone in the worlds, and have a great time! Avidly reading the updates - go the UK team!
stevea

innaugural kneelos in Indo encounter

Post by stevea »

Funny how things work out Tom ,some people would rather run naked through a crowded shopping mall shouting it out that theyd been barreled off their head than tell the one they love that it was better than sex
I havent been barreled for so long i dont know if it could possibly be true heres hoping i find some enlightenment ,possibly during the long term relationship which will in turn make me ineligable in the future, in all but the tattoo award the one i will be trying hardest to avoid or the bintang embellishing hour which could be the most competitive at the end of the day

The organisers have declared a media ban from sunrise Friday morning until further notice to avoid leaking of the exact location during the encounter
Doc Turbo

Last Day before the Contest

Post by Doc Turbo »

Stevea, Doc, Grahame, Tomway looking forward to seeing you all here. Right now it is flat, but the winds have been excellent, light off shore, north breezes most of the evening.

Obviously my barrel riding has been documented, as well as my excitement in the city. I need to learn how to spell and where my clothes are.

See you in the morning, got two cases of Bintang on ice, Grahame should provide more, Bintang.

Charts show a swell
tomway

Post by tomway »

Been avidly following the worlds updates from all the different posts on the different websites - thanks to everyone keeping us others in the loop! Glad to glean that team UK is still in contention.

The kneelos in Indo encounter took place at a very obvious but unnamed (due to old age, amnesia, and general short term memory damage) location in west-java over the last four days. This was a very competitive event and I'm looking forward to a full report on the results by head-mentor stevea (I have no idea :D )

It was a wicked trip, thanks Stephen 'docturbo' Booth and Grahame 'pak apples' applegate for your insane hospitality. We didn't get the spots that we were hoping for but the lads got us to consistent head high surf with no one else around for hundreds of kilometers, so who can complain?

Highlights:
Getting on the boat and finding out it was called 'insani' then six hours later having the boat break down irreparably with no chance of communication :!:. thankfully at the time we were anchored at the end of a tasty left hander so our immediate predicament didn't seem so important; getting rescued by a fishing boat 24 hours later was an added bonus :D

Being educated by my elders (particularly the oz contingent) in english vocabulary. I'm an applied linguist (english teacher!) and my ability to speak in a polite and acceptable way has been damaged forever :oops: Thanks guys!

Going 'feral' jakarta style... we had hot showers, camembert, cheddar, two cases of icy beer, three varieties of pasta, weetabix, honey, fresh milk, muesli and four ice boxes of other snacks that I don't remember. This gave considerable balance to the s*&^ boat and a crew who we don't think had been out to see before.

A few pics, more in the album... Apologies for the poor quality, autofocus on my lens is bust and its tricky manual focusing from a rocking boat.

Lineup:

The terrible Insani, worst vessel in the sunda straits.

The Doc:

Artis:

Apples:
Doc Turbo

photos of our event

Post by Doc Turbo »

I posted some photos of our event in the album section, have not figured out how to include in this posting.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Good Dr...

Click on the photo in the album...

You'll see text called BBCode: '[...albumimg]20003[/...albumimg]' Note: I inserted ... to prevent from displaying...

Copy that text and then come back to the thread.

Paste it into your reply.

For bigger pix, replace with "[...fullalbumimg]20003[/...fullalbumimg]"

[fullalbumimg]20003[/fullalbumimg]
Doc Turbo

test posting

Post by Doc Turbo »

Bindo the standup
[fullalbumimg]20007[/fullalbumimg]

After 3 days on a boat with 4 kneelos
Doc Turbo

Artis

Post by Doc Turbo »

[fullalbumimg]20004[/fullalbumimg]
stevea

Post by stevea »

Were we mad ,maybe but what a great way to go crazy ,3 days on a leaky boat with Krakatoa Anak rumbling like thunder throughout the day and night the boat trying its best to rock Doc and Bob off its roof ,Tom and Graeme sleeping exposed to the rain while i slept through it all secure in my new double boardbag after they kindly zippered it up all the time the gearbox lay in pieces
Luckily we had food for another few days enough bintang and a fun wave right in front of us
Unfortunately ? some awards were unable to be presented like the most impressive tattoo since no one bit a reef or had a barrel that was better than sex ,what we had was pure clean fun hours from reality
Tom easily won his division the open grommits, so easy did he have it he changed board sponsors half way through and ended up beating himself
Grahame convieniently had a birthday to make him eligible for the over 57 s and was a winner although there were rumblings that he might have set it up but the dinner and cake were so good no one protested
The Doc had it all wired his experience s from previous trips left us wanting for nothing his enthusiasm almost had him surfing the open grommits with Tom
Instead we had a 3 round man on man starting mid afternoon and set to finish as the last rays of sunlight filtered through
Im happy to say that Doc whilst younger and fitter has no contest experience and thereby susceptable to the psych out
going into r3 its 1 apeice and stays that way right down to the final 5meters on his last wave when he decides to finish prone and of course is eliminated
At the end of the day we all went home winners most especially Bob a shortboarder from Oz who handled it all with a dignified humour and great stories not to mention his culinary skills in convincining the crew to boil not fry the spaghetti
All in all a great experience where do we go next stay tuned its sure to be an adventure worth being there if you can make it
Meanwhile keep those updates coming from the Worlds
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Hey guys ... that sounded like one hot excursion ... well except for the dodgy boat ...
let me know of future events and will see if it is possible to risk a divorce to come over
keep the pics and news coming ...
cheers guys and Thanx for the visuals
tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day