The inaugural kneelos in Indo Invitational

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Well done for the updates :D
Stoked I won the open grommits! Wow! And at 32 unless we get some younger members soon it looks like I'm on a guaranteed winning streak for the next 20 years :lol:

As the others have said, if anyone would like to join an indon gathering this year then get in touch by pm. The only condition is that you are properly toilet trained and don't require toilet paper. Filthy habit that toilet paper.

thanks for the tip on posting photos SF.

Here's one of stevea, a man who occasionally has difficulty standing up on his buggered knees, but can still do a pretty good top-turn.

[fullalbumimg]19999[/fullalbumimg]
Doc Turbo

DCB

Post by Doc Turbo »

scoop wrote: let me know of future events and will see if it is possible to risk a divorce to come over
One of my friends got a DCB from his wife. I asked him what that was, and he said, "Sure thing darling, of course you can go, but DCB DON"T COME BACK"

Like Tom says, we are considering a series of events in country, informally, and for safety sake, land based mostly. If in the country contact one of us...
randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by randiego »

Thanks for this thread, great stuff boys - Love the photos !

I especially love that boat - the dictionary has a photo of it under "going feral" :lol: :lol:

Good times 8) 8)
Last edited by randiego on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

scoop wrote:Hey guys ... that sounded like one hot excursion ... well except for the dodgy boat ...
let me know of future events and will see if it is possible to risk a divorce to come over
keep the pics and news coming ...
cheers guys and Thanx for the visuals
tony
we can sail over in the new boat!!!!! :roll: :shock: :lol:
On your knees, if you please
scoop

Post by scoop »

I told you Peter ... if you go halves .... I am sure Skye won't mind you spending up big as it has to be a sound vessel .... not like the one the boys had ..,. lol hehehe Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Doc Turbo

Follow up and hello to Pedro of Freemantle Safe journey home

Post by Doc Turbo »

I decided to do a follow up to the last gathering we had, this trip, timed to a swell, confirmed swell hitting and less tidal influence. Unfortunately non of the other members were able to attend the program. I used my traditional boat provider with great success and better preparation this trip, no dramas. Whilst surfing, a Sailing Yatch pulled in, and a Aussie Stand up Surfer paddled out with his son. The father cauthgt a wave, and surfed kind of awkward to say the least.

When the father was off on a long wave, I was teasing his son that he ought to get a kneeboard, when I was informed that the father is PEDRO of Freemantle and has been kneeboarding for 30 years.

Sure enought, he ditched the standup board the next day, and Pedro was on his knees.

Was one of my best ever trips, 3 solid days of surf at least 6 hours each days in 3 different breaks.

Stevea, Tom, Grahame, planning for our next session, against any huge swell

Rounding the point
[albumimg]20248[/albumimg]

Smallest Day but still glassy and fun
[albumimg]20250[/albumimg]

Tatoo
[albumimg]20245[/albumimg]

Left Hander Working
[albumimg]20242[/albumimg]

Right
[albumimg]20246[/albumimg]

Little Morning sickness on the left one day
[albumimg]20252[/albumimg]
Scott

Post by Scott »

Doc,

This has been a fun thread with great pics. Thanks!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
tomway

2010 indo invitational

Post by tomway »

At short notice our yearly jaunt is set to commence tomorrow. This years jawa kneelos will compete at one of the islands most secret locations accessible only by fishing boat... (secret only to the thousands who have seen the timmy turner and travis potter movies)

This years judging criteria is still unclear although anyone dropping the boat's ladder overboard will be severely penalized and thrown overboard.

As ever the event is sponsored by bintang and voltaren who in partnership help the aging members surf more than once a day.

Swell forecast for wednesday looks fairly solid. Hopefully the good spots will light up.

Participants this year, Steve Booth (docturbo), grahame apples applegate, Dave the solo kneelo and myself.

I've made a board for the trip, but it's 12:30am now and it still needs rubbing out and polishing so I think the neighbours are going to be furious. Better spark up the the sander-polisher!

Follow up to come upon return.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Tomway, where do I sign up for the board raffle? :lol: 8)
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
ross

Post by ross »

Sounds so good Tom, any time "out there" is a good time hey?
The boards are looking great to.

And do you need really need voltaren? Warm bintangs have always been a great anti inflamitory in my books :lol:

Stay off the bottom and get some round ones lads!
Scott

Post by Scott »

The craftsmanship on the whole board, and especially the tail are...are...absolutely Jon Manssian!

Trust it will surf like a dream.
stevea

Inaugaral Indo Invitational

Post by stevea »

Didnt expect to get an invite this time, why the way i used a simple technicality to deny Doc his chance on the podium not to mention ?,but there it was thanks guys sorry i couldnt make it still in Oz powering out a new toy for my next Indo excursion plus a flashback single fin retro clone thats been well a long time coming
Your new board looks great Tom looks like it will pull tight turns in and around the pocket as expected by a grommet ,i can see no reason why you will not retain your title as Graham and Doc fight out the Voltaren Vets

Solo Dave looks unbeatable in his division from the photo evidence ive seen
Hope to see heaps of pics and some not too heavily censored editorial on the trip
meanwhile i will be foiling and fitting a new set of quad fins for the toy counting the sleeps and looking forward to the mimpi basa become reality
P.S Expect to be in Bali till early December im open to a trip here or there you know where
tomway

2010 - image heavy

Post by tomway »

Results pending as everyone was too tired at the end of each day to argue about who won. Clearly, however, the East-java contingent won the last 2 days of compeition as the west-java team had to return home early for 'work related reasons' :shock: :roll: :?: I also suspect the Doc will be disqualified for having uneven flipper sizes (he snapped one) and grahame will be removed from the contest as a whole and put in his own category for wearing budgie smugglers at every opportunity. Technicalities, technicalities :lol:

We had another great trip and surfed every spot bar 1 on the island. Swell ranged from shoulder high to overhead for 4 contestable days.

stevea, although you weren't aboard this year, you would still win a division for 'most laughed about what-happens-on-the-boat-stays-on-the-boat story'. Sorry, but we WERE on the boat :lol:

Forgot my telephoto lens, and the camera's battery charger so photos are a little limited this year, but here are a few as we arrived and from one evening session - thanks Ando (token standup sacrifice) for doing the boring thing behind the camera.

The boat

The waves

The docturbo

Dave the solo kneelo

Grahame 'Apples' Applegate
Ando the sacrificial standup

Me getting sponsorship credits

The one that got away. We had dreams to surf this and brought shorties for reef protection, but although the swell was there the direction wasn't quite right. 1 in 10 that didn't shut down didn't seem like a sensible option when you're guaranteed a truck-like reef collision. Next time fullsuits and gloves...

tomway

Post by tomway »

Thanks for the comments on the board btw... it flew, best one I've made yet.

I shouldn't have posted pics without giving credit to dave parkes, whose flawless planshapes and fin setups contributed A LOT to the last two kneeboards I've made (they're not 'ripoffs' by any means, but i want these wood boards to 'feel' like his foam ones!). Dave, if you read this, it was great to talk to you last month and witness your surfing first hand.

Also, Mr Artis, who i've been lucky to talk to for hours about such things as foils, rails and bottom contours :D , and are where my decision about those things came from. Cheers steve!

And mark venn who is a true craftsman and got me hooked on this construction.
Doc Turbo

Good Work Tom

Post by Doc Turbo »

Yep work related issues won out again this year, but as you know, I live in striking distance, with a simple 5 -6 hour drive, and 3 hour boat ride, totally doable on any weekend or weekday.

good shots, glad you caught most of the places on ... next time lets plan this to match a swell at the begining of the trip!!!