Open Finals Intereference call - setting the record straight

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Open Finals Intereference call - setting the record straight

Post by albert »

Hello,

I just wanted to attempt to set the record straight, on the matter of the intereference call I received during the open final at the worlds. Some people seem to believe I was 'hard done by' or the subject of a 'bad call' and I would like to clarify this, being a registered judge myself.

During those last dying minutes of the final, I was hardly within striking distance IMO of getting that world title, the good waves I had I hadnt done anything spectacular on and in general the ocean was not allowing things to go my way. I was in position for the next wave in a new set when I realised I was going to have to paddle very very hard to get it, I yelled and screamed that I was going, but to the other competitors I am sure it looked like I was never going to get it. Either way I had water in my eyes and couldnt quite tell if anyone else was paddling for it. When I opened my eyes I was up, and Simon was going accross in front of me. I had no time to do anything except bump into him on my way down. It may have looked like the wave was a dominant left peak, it may have even looked like I had priority for the wave but here are the facts.

a. I didnt get up first
b. I wasnt on the inside on what had been all week a dominant right hand peak
c. I didnt establish direction first, I was going straight pretty much the whole time
and
d. what the hell was I thinking? it wasnt even a good wave.

In the end, it was a mistake, not the first and certainly not the last I will make. Simon and I spoke about it and we both left it out in the water, we made it clear we bear no ill feelings on the matter and respect and agree with the judges decision on this. In the end I believe it had very little influence on the final results. We were all gunning for first place, I dont think any one of us really cared what placings we all ended up getting if we didnt win, all we wanted was the title and didnt really care much what happened between second and fourth.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Very classy Albert, the debate will linger, but keep ripping it, your already a winner. Glad there are no ill feelings. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Howard Lorney
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Howard Lorney »

Very well put Albert. Helps us all to understand exactly what goes on out there in a fraction of a second. A true professional and sportsman.

(The judges also dont have the benefit of video replays to help them.)
Live for the moments that take your breath away.

kneed for speed
albert

Post by albert »

if I can find my notes from the time I took the judging course I will put some of the interference rules diagrams up and hopefully put a clearer picture than what I can describe in words.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Hi Albert,
Ive done the same things many times and had calls on my friends even one time did not see a fellow compeditor and Vicco friend and ran straight over him and cut 17 inches off the tail of his board.

the important thing is its a mistake and that it gets left in the water because the frenship is more important than the tital that could of been...

Me and the other vicco compeditor end up always laughing about that incidence but we are good friends .

If i remember right, people were more angry at me on the beach than the compeditor that I interfeared with but thats because they were friends of his and were upset for him.

On paper i won that heat and like you You dont go out with intent to drop in and throw away a chance at a tital.

I was in the running with 3 others to win the Aus pro am tital and blew my chance with the interfearince so this cost me dearly and like you would not go out with that intention
Marcman
Local (More than 25 post)

Interference

Post by Marcman »

Interference Blue on White!
People say stand up and be counted.
We say get on your knees.
crippler

Post by crippler »

run him over i say great bloke but we need all the help we can to get one over him.just jokes very noble clarification