ASP releases new judging criteria for 2010

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

ASP

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Bert,

Your uncle and elder says read closer.

In previous contests,some judges were'nt scoring the bottom turn. They would score highly a flat line to what many considered a powerless floater and or re-entry. In other words guys ripping solid turns were losing to guys doing weak yet fancy moves. The reason, the solid turn guys may have looked boring or unflashy to the judges. Power considered a way lesser criteria.

Also note, how I mentioned Gavin. He was scored correctly for ripping hard off the bottom, top and on all cutbacks.

When I see you, you get an immediate head-lock! :lol:
albert

Post by albert »

are we talking about the quality of the judges or the quality of the criteria or the quality of the particular surfer in your example's interpretation of the criteria? :?:

I was talking about the criteria, not the quality of judges or the surfer's interpretation of the criteria...
Last edited by albert on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

This is a very interesting and thoughtful thread.
It kinda brings up the elephant in the room that inevitably comes up which is, how do you judge art?
I mean speaking of ASP level stand up surfing, I personally don't like Kelly Slaters style as much as say Parkos. Slater is a freak so at times his sheer ability is to pull off some manouevers is amazing, but I would rather watch Rasta surf any time over Slater. Who is the "better" surfer?
So "winning" a contest is hard to quantify.
Other than the obvious comeraderie for Kneeboard contests, why do you who surf in them enter them? Is it to be the "best"?I mean changing your style to win a contest to meet some judges criteria seems a hollow "victory" indeed.
I don't surf in contests so I don't really get it, but I do enjoy watching them. Oftentimes I feel that the right person didn't win his heat beacause style is seemingly not important.
It does seem like everyone is having fun. Or I at least hope so.
Anyways, good luck to all in the upcoming contest and may the best man win? :wink:
MALLEE BULL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MALLEE BULL »

SIMPLE THE GUY WHO ATTACKS THE WAVE WINS 8)
YOU CRUISE YOU LOSS :evil:
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
red

Post by red »

Alfredo,
Not everything is about contests. I love surfing with my mates. I enjoy "stylin' (as much as possible with my limited coolth). And I don't think contests define the state of the art - just one aspect of it.
This thread is about measuring that aspect.

Judging is not about style.
Nor is it about "the best surfer".
It is about judging a single surfer's performance on a single wave.
The criteria are fairly tight - there is not a lot of room for "preference". Commitment, risk, power, speed and flow are what's judged.
We all know when someone is laying into turns and tearing chunks out of a wave.
The trick is in getting that knowledge into an appropriate scale (and doing it right when waves are poor).

Bring it on - surfers who lay into a bottom turn and crack that first (and maybe only) turn SHOULD beat someone who cutbacks to the beach.
The criteria has said this for the past 10 years.
The new criteria emphasises it.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Red.
Thanks for that thoughtful answer.
It really helps me to see where you guys are coming from.
I'm not anti-contest just for the record.
I guess what you're saying is that the new ASP rules will make it more condusive for the better surfer to win?
This is a good thing.
By the way, back on my Slater analogy of an earlier post, I also think that sometimes Slater may get the nod of a heat if its really close and the other bloke really won. I just watched the Trestles contest the other night and it seems like Kekoa Bacalso lost a close one to the man in this manner, but we can't have the great sponsired one to lose to Bam Bam could we? (insert corporate entities for we)
Too bad. But that is the part of the sporting life isn't it?
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Your right on with your point Red...

Now we need our judges to be more educated on the criteria, as a lot of the time as competitors we judge our events, so as competitors we all need to be educated on the criteria of our sport, competition surfing.

Generally we all know the rules of any ball game we play but when we play competition surfing not many people understand the rules and yet they judge our events... This in return causes over scoring of some people and under scoring of others or eliminations of competitors by judges not understanding the correct interference calls...

By the way steeno when are you going to put up the footage of the most radical competition turn Ive ever seen that you did at the 94 Aussie titals which you got ripped off at. In today's judging criteria that turn would and should of scored you a 10 which would of seen you in to the final :P :P :P
JackG

Post by JackG »

I enter contests to:
  • Push my abilities
    Surf a new break without a crowd
    Share the stoke.
I know I'm not going to come even close to a win. But I find it satisfying to make it out of heat. In the water I enjoy seeing what maneuvers other surfers can pull of in the same surf. There is one other kneelo who I surf with regularly. I see maybe three others a couple times during a season. I've only been kneeling for about 10% of my life, so I'm still very much discovering what I can do on a wave. And I really enjoy the friendships I've made on this site. I've hosted several out of towners to my favorite breaks, and been treated to the same up and down the coast.

Of course surfing a wave to score isn't the only way to surf, and it certainly isn't the only way I surf. If you don't like surfing to score, don't surf a contest. No big deal. I don't feel like a loser when I just set the trim and enjoy the glide, and I don't feel like I'm surfing for someone else when I decide to rip it up either. Surfing with the judging criteria in mind for a couple of heats just adds to the experience.

I look forward to surfing with you folk that decided to enter our annual contest (hoping the weather cooperates), and look forward to hanging out with rest.
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

HEY !

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

I ENTER CONTESTS
TO GET OFF THIS DAMN MOUNTAIN AND HAVE A FRONT ROW WATER SEAT TO SEE ALL MY BROTHERS KILLING IT :lol:

AND GET BACK INTO THE WATER SINCE THE WORLD TITLES :cry:

ALL WINNERS - NO LOSERS - KEEP ON RIPPIN :D