ASP releases new judging criteria for 2010

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

ASP releases new judging criteria for 2010

Post by albert »

From www.aspworldtour.com

Revised ASP Judging Criteria Unleashed for 2010 at North Narrabeen

COOLANGATTA, Queensland/Australia (Tuesday, January 12, 2010) – With a number of enhancements being activated on the ASP World Tour this season, the ASP Judging Criteria has been refined to reflect the progression of the sport.

“It’s paramount that the ASP Judging Criteria evolve to reflect the ever-progressing envelope of high-performance surfing,” Perry Hatchett, ASP Head Judge, said. “The revision of the criteria for 2010 is the result of discussions between our respected panel of judges as well as the world’s best surfers.”

The ASP Judging Criteria for 2010 and beyond is as follows:

Surfers must perform to the ASP Judging Key Concepts to maximize their scoring potential.

Judges analyze the following major concepts when scoring waves:
- Commitment and Degree of Difficulty
- Innovative and Progressive Maneuvers
- Combination of Major Maneuvers
- Variety of Maneuvers
- Speed, Power and Flow

It is important to note that the emphasis on certain concepts is contingent upon the location and the conditions on the day, as well as changes of conditions during the day.

Scale Utilized:
0.0 – 1.9 = Poor
2.0 – 3.9 = Fair
4.0 – 5.9 = Average
6.0 – 7.9 = Good
8.0 – 10.0 = Excellent

“The last part of the revised ASP Judging Criteria is crucial,” Hatchett said. “Surfers and fans need to understand that certain aspects of surfing score higher depending on the location and the conditions at that location. For example, the same approach to surfing in classic Trestles conditions will not score the same when applied to classic Pipeline conditions – classic Trestles conditions call for more Innovative and Progressive Maneuvers whereas classic Pipeline conditions call for more Commitment and Degree of Difficulty.”

The aforementioned criteria will be applied across the board at ASP World Tour, ASP Women’s World Tour, ASP World Qualifying Series (WQS) and ASP Pro Junior event.

More information, log onto www.aspworldtour.com
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Doesn't look like much of a difference, but standups judging kneeboarding will always be problematic, especially when the finer points of kneeboarding aren't understood by them.
But I can't complain. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
albert

Post by albert »

Mike Fernandez wrote:Doesn't look like much of a difference,
I think the main difference is the stronger emphasis on committed, radical surfing. For example, doing a couple of straight floaters on a wave could have netted you a 5 or so, while doing an air would have gotten you a 6 or so. Under this criteria, the difference between these to types of surfing is made greater, the first example now getting you a 3 while the second getting you a 7 or 8.
Mike Fernandez wrote:but standups judging kneeboarding will always be problematic, especially when the finer points of kneeboarding aren't understood by them.
In this case Mike, I disagree. I would agree with you if you could prove to me that kneeboarding is significantly more progressive than standup surfing. In which case the judging criteria for standups would lag behind that of kneeboarding. Seeing as the judging criteria for standups is influenced directly by the level of surfing commonly observed in professional events, that means that stand up surfing criteria is in fact more critical of uncommitted, safe surfing than kneeboarding judging would be. Just a thought....
crippler
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by crippler »

I must agree completely with bert on this one every event i`ve ever been to judged by stand up`s has seen our sport judged much closer to asp criteria.many ozi comps judged by kneelo`s are loaded with bias.either friendships,club loyalties or just personal preference on what style of kbing an individual appreciates.This is totally understandably as we all have our prefered styles but for a comp to be fair these need to be set aside and only asp criteria followed.To many times I have seen people win comps by scoring high for large numbers of average moves over a long distance.everyone should understand by now one huge air or bash is worth more than 20 linked up cutbacks every time.15 3point manouvres is only worth 3 whereas 1 9point move is worth 9 simple as that.
Bring on the airshow or wct format where heats are won usually by the biggest move!!!!!!!! love to hear other peoples view on this as i reckon its the most important thing to progress our sport
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

this type of judging should have been around 20 years ago.

its taken that long :lol:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

hopefully it will encourage all performers in contests to bust those great moves ALL THE TIME instead of relying on three safe ones to the beach...which weve all done.. ....I think :lol:
I see a lot of Jrs in the upcoming titles and some of them have benifited from watching the kneelos in Simons sick flixs, participating and seeing some great kneeboarding at the titles in NZ and phillip island so Im hopeful for a bright future for these guys and girls in competitive kneeboarding
Jack Beresford

contest

Post by Jack Beresford »

For those competing in the HB contest this month, we hope to have the head judge come to Dukes Thursday night to talk about the criteria and answer any questions you have.

I think our experience with professional stand-up judges for the KSUSA Titles and World Titles has been mostly very positive.

Jack
MWROBERTSON

Judging

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Does this mean that if one does not surf to the prescibed criteria that they should not enter a contest?

Or......

Does it mean that if one does not surf to the prescribed criteria that they should CHANGE how they surf?

I ponder those questions. :?
red

Post by red »

One of the biggest problems I've noted over the years is inexperienced judges who score the wave, and especially regard the ride more highly if the rider interprets the wave the way the judge would have. This results in the scoring problems crippler mentioned - people often overscore for length, don't like to risk their wave with a big, risky first turn, and over score soft floaters.

Year after year I've seen riders advance surfing the midbreak over more committed surfers who takle hairy outside waves. It's not right. Just taking off outside should be worth more than a few cutties on a midbreak reform.

So an off the top should always outscore a head dip?

Mark,
You gotta surf to the criteria. Otherwise (to paraphrase Rabbit's famous ad, "Don't *!&%in come" ;-)

Of course, us old farts (me, not you) "just wanna have fun" (to quoteCindy Lauper), so contests are also about cameraderie et al. But at the pointy end the criteria need to apply to advance the sport.
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

I agree with steeno whole heartedly.

I also agree with Mark!

I think the message for guys who dont see themselves getting air or attempting futuristic manouvers is that you have to attempt to attack(do this at a level that is within your capabilities) the first third of a wave, rather than playing it safe and doing a floater at the end.

I think that the new criteria is relevant for the open division and all age divisions which are under 50 years of age.

i think the new criteria for asp long boarding makes interesting reading, and could be re written for the older age group divisions, this would allow older guys to be judged in a way befitting there unique talents.
Jamie
crippler

Post by crippler »

mark i don`t believe anyone has to change there surfing or there desire to compete to suit criteria ,only if you want to win! the new criteria if followed correctly will see people who a performing with the highest degree of difficulty winning.Its purely to push the highest level.Jamie`s idea of amendments to criteria for older divisions is spot on as the same criteria will result in heats full of 3-4 point rides for the vets who maybe aren`t throwing the fins.We all know our beloved sport is short on numbers and sponsorship dollars, i believe the best way to combat this is to elevate the open levels.even seperate the tops guys completely.to create and open division and a pro division with criteria to suit.what do you think????
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

WHAT !

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:twisted: CLEAN POWER 360"S ARE STILL UNDER RATED & SCORED ??

:P I WILL NEVER STOP SPINNING :P
MWROBERTSON

Scores

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Mike,

I asked a judge on how they score those. About the same as a cutback! More points would be given if it was an actual carving sort. :?

I do find it interesting that no real points are given for hard driving bottom turns. This critical step in Kbing has almost been discarded by some riders in contest and free surfing,and effectively so. I've seen people essentially skip the bottom turn, just keep the board running flat to the next weak little tail slide or rentry section. I've now seen some larger men try to adopt this approach. Sacraficing power for points. :cry:

Gavin was a real treat to watch in Santa Cruz. Power off the bottom, power off the top, power into cutbacks etc. Done right. The judges love it! 8)
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

I'd rate 'speed power and flow' 2X over all other criteria- that would cover long, powerful carves, bottom turns and resulting afterburner effect. In my experience, that's what get's everybody in the water hooting 8)
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
albert

Re: Scores

Post by albert »

MWROBERTSON wrote: I do find it interesting that no real points are given for hard driving bottom turns.
I disagree Mark.

During the judging course I took, one of the first things we were taught to look for is a strong bottom turn. Without a strong bottom turn, there is no power off the bottom. When there is no power off the bottom, how can there be any power off the top?
MWROBERTSON wrote: I've seen people essentially skip the bottom turn, just keep the board running flat to the next weak little tail slide or rentry section.
I ask you this, how does doing what you just described fit within the criteria? is it a committed maneuvre with a high degree of difficulty? is it innovative and progressive? does it exhibit speed power and flow? :wink: