Tahiti Worlds - Team USA

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Sprocky has the WT2002 tape.

I would strongly recommend reserving a car, and realize that these cars are "Euro small", so get the biggest thing you can. When I was in Moreea I got a local car that was about the size of a Coke can, with the power of a hairdyer, and it cost me $90 BUCKS A DAY! I had to "guess" which board to bring because I could only fit one in the passenger seat (with my girlfriend riding tailgunner.)
Ten foot Haapiti on a 6'0" Tri :shock: ? Good times.....
EQ
Jack Beresford

car rental

Post by Jack Beresford »

Ouch! Sounds like bringing soft racks might be a good call if we need to pile in one of these little cars. I believe Greg has some.
Jack Beresford
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

You might want to p-up some long web nylin with a buckle. Many treaveling surfers (longer standup boards) take full-on coffins and the only way to strape them to the roof is by running the long nylon through the rolled down windows.
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

oops..sorry about the sloppy, dyslexic keyboard work....or is that lysdesic
kbing since plywood days
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Yes I have 3 differant kinds!!!!! witch would you like???? And as for putting it through the rolled down window, I would rather put them through the OPEN DOOR and then shut it.... Greg....
Ed Dimick
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Ed Dimick »

Jack:

I'm in. I'm on the same Air New Zealand flight as you. I mailed my entry today. The scrimmage at Oceanside sounds good-I'll be there. Do you have any advice on this ATA Carnet thing? That's the last major thing I've got to dial in. Also, I'm up for pitching in on a rental car.

Ed
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Do you have any advice on this ATA Carnet thing? That's the last major thing I've got to dial in.
Ed -

I've read up on the carnet at the website: http://atacarnet.com/faq.htm
but I'm still a little confused as to whether this is absolutely necessary. It sounds like a stick it to the little guy tax to me. I defer to anyone with personal experience who's travelled to Tahiti with boards. The cost of the carnet is from $120 to $200, and I'd rather not pay if I don't have to. It says that it can be used for "exporters" of any goods, including sports equipment, computers, grand pianos and even clothing. :shock:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
albert

Post by albert »

I honestly wouldnt worry about it.
There are tons of people that I know have been to Tahiti, none have ever mentioned it to me. This is including David Parkes.

Sounds like it doesnt even apply to us anyway.
Albert
red

Post by red »

No luck on entry form. Get a holt of Stapo. If I don't get confirmation this week I will simply mail a pro-forma one to
Popoti Surf Club
Po.box: 12041 Papara,
Tahiti – 98712 French Polynesia
Phone: 689 574818 / 689 777425 Mr Christophe Holozet Event Coordinator
from http://www.krackatoapartners.com/2004%2 ... 202004.htm
www.horue.pf does not work most times - I suspect their server is overloaded.

You can also call Ralph or Christophe. I managed to get Christophe on the phone a while ago about accomodation. He was pretty relaxed in a north coast sort of way.

Now, if Wayne Dorsett would tell me what the F%%% is going on with my airticket I'll be happy.
albert

Post by albert »

Or you could always wait and do the entry when you get there. I havent seen a date posted that limits the amount of entries. I am sure they will have some sort of registration thing prior to the start of the contest.
I mean they have to know who is seeded and all those other things.

Albert
scoop

Post by scoop »

enties must be in by 1st June....NO beach entries
also suppose to be an entry form on the horue site

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
DarcyM

Entry form

Post by DarcyM »

There is an entry form on the Horue site, it's under the french name, I think it's "telecharge" or something like it. It does include an option for stating your accomodation preferences - dormitory or family hosting, so I assume by selecting one or the other you will be reserving a space. I hope so. Yes, the deadline for entries is JUNE 1. You can fax or mail it, but they also want your entry fees at that time. I mailed mine last week. You can also have the bank wire your fees directly.

I have the entry form in a word document on my computer for anyone having trouble getting it off the website. Send me a private message or e-mail and I'll send you a blank copy. Yes, I'll even send it to you Aussies ... :lol:

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
DarcyM

Booking a Flight

Post by DarcyM »

I've heard from a couple of people that they're not able to get a flight out of Tahiti on either the 10th or 11th (Saturday or Sunday). June is Honeymooners season in Tahiti people, and getting out of there on a weekend is going to be nearly impossible if you haven't booked your flight already.

Just some friendly advice, get on it! Otherwise be prepared to leave early and possibly miss the finals, or stay another three or four days!

Hope to see you there!
Darcy
dm

"Push the button, Max!"