Tahiti Worlds - Team USA

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Tahiti Worlds - Team USA

Post by Jack Beresford »

US Kneeriders:

Some of the best kneeboarders in the world will be in Tahiti June 28 to July 10 for the Tahiti ISA World Kneeboard Horue (Contest) 2004. Plans are coming together quickly for this event - which will feature $5,000 cash prize for the winner of the open division and an opportunity to compete in age group divisions.

The venue for the event, which is being hosted by the Popoti Surf Club, is Taharuu beach breaks in the town of Papara on the south side of Tahiti. I'll post all the specifics separately - for reference purposes - this is about a 30 minute drive from Teahupoo (or so I'm told).

Those who've attended other World Titles will tell you these are really as much worldwide "gatherings" as they are a competition. It's an incredible experience and regardless of how you place, you're sure to return home with many new stories and friendships. Beyond the competition, there are a variety of fun and cultural events planned as you can only imagine happens when you bring more than 100 kneelos together in one place. Imagine the Santa Cruz weekend - times 10!

I'd really like to get a handle on what interest level there is from other US kneelos? I'm planning on going and I'd like to get us organized so we can make a strong showing. This would include sharing information on travel/accomodations, organizing a few scrimmages and possibly shaking down KSUSA for some team gear. Albert Munoz will be there but he tells me he's already agreed to serve as team captain for the our Puerto Rican comrades - which makes them a legitimate contender. !Buena suerte!

Let me know what your plans are. For my part, my wife Lucita will be coming the first week - so we're exploring some nicer accomodations near the venue (at least until she leaves). After that I'm going feral.
Jack Beresford
Jack Beresford

more info

Post by Jack Beresford »

The Tahitians recently updated the contest Web site. Airfare deals are promised by 3/15:

http://www.horue.pf/popoti2004.htm
Jack Beresford
DarcyM

Worlds

Post by DarcyM »

I've got it on my calendar as a definite possibility, pending financial considerations which are pretty sketchy right now. I'll definitely go the dorm route to save a little cash. I even hear they've got a women's division, so I get a break (maybe!) from competing against the guys. I think some folks at work will kill me if I don't go ...

I'll bring the Flag. 8)

some team gear would be cool too!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Thats the way darcy, from the pics I have seen of you, you would be a good contender for the womens title. My sister in law, Trudi Sanders (south african), now Trudi Barnes. Has won the womens world pro kneeboarding champs 3 times, and I know she cant make it to Tahiti (they bought a house) so the door is open, you should go. :wink:

And I can vouch for Jacks call, they are awesome events, its like a huge family of people getting together, I met Jack, DavidW, BobSchiff, Greg Little, Don Harris, Mark Robertson, Albert, sprocky, Barry Baker at the worlds, and numerous other characters who, have all become good friends with the same love-kneeboarding. Its really a great event if you love kneeboarding. Its an eye opener. :wink:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
stemple

Post by stemple »

Does puerto rico count as the US or do they represent themselves?
Jack Beresford

Post by Jack Beresford »

Stemple - not sure. I suspect it's up to them if they want to surf under our flag or their own. Sounds like they're planning the later.
Jack Beresford
ivandill
Local (More than 25 post)

We represent ourselves

Post by ivandill »

Yes we represent ,nuestra nacion, we represent ourselves.In every sport ,in the olimpics, panamerican, centroamerican and international surfing events we wear our flag.If everything go well i think about 5 Kneelo from our nation will be in tahiti having fun with you all.See you all in chopuuuu,uuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :shock:
VANCHEE
Stephen Michael

Gotta Dream.................

Post by Stephen Michael »

Jack
I am putting on the old thinking cap and planning to see if I can turn this into reality.
Costa Rica in January,Tahiti in July....sounds good to me.
Going to buy a lottery ticket.
Stay tuned.
Stephen
Jack Beresford

worlds

Post by Jack Beresford »

Darcy: I think you've got a legitimate shot at the Women's World Title - regardless of who shows! I also think you could do some damage in the open. Regardless, it will be fun to watch!

Stephen: Costa Rica...Tahiti...why don't you throw in a Metawai boat trip to make it a perfect trifecta?! Hope you can make it.

Everyone else: If a tiny island nation like Puerto Rico can field a highly competitive team of FIVE kneeriders, surely we can do better?! :P

Hell, we invented the sport!
Jack Beresford
scoop

more info

Post by scoop »

For accomodations , some competitors can check directely at website:
Papara villa http://www.paparavillage@mail.pf
Hitimoana villa www.papeete.com/moanavilla

Regards

quito
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
stemple

Post by stemple »

so when does the trash talking start for the worlds or is this just another kneelo love fest or what. We need some new heat on this website. where is your civic pride?, your bravado?
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The weird part is... no trash talk is necessary. Like what Jack and Steeno are saying, it's an amazing experience. It's an eye-opening meld between the hosting culture and more ripping kneelos than you can imagine. Soak it up. Go. Simple as that. Once you're signed up, let the amping begin...

It's really a chance to apply what's been going down for so long to what makes the world go round. It's guaranteed return-on-investment.

If nothing else, It's left me with an incredible desire to head out to Wollongong and hang! (disclaimer... wife just gave me stinkeye. It's exactly #11 on the 'mutual priorities' list. #1 on mine, #<numeric overflow> on her's...) ;-)

It's been awhile, but big shouts out to Steeno! Trudy does rip. Hope the beautiful couple is doing great! Any kids yet? I've got to get the latest pix of ours online. They're really nice!

Darcy... go. You'll be amazed.

-------------------------

Not to discount what you're saying, Syd! When the horn sounds...

BTW, it should be good this weekend. I'm in Sat AM and Sun AM... Hope to see you there! 6:15AM both days.
Ted
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

bring a small inflatable and 2-3 horse outboard motor

Post by Ted »

i was there in 2000 and saw a contest going on at paparra--didn't know it was a kneelo contest but it had a big crowd!! I brought a small inflatable with me on plane and then put it on top my rent a car--worked out unreal!!! Should consider pooling together for one!!I went to outer islands and got unreal surf also!!!The little boat was essential for many spots.
Ed Dimick

Post by Ed Dimick »

Jack:

From what you, Bob and Steenos are saying this is an experience you just can't pass up. You've got me amped to go! If I can swing it at home and work, I'm planning on being there. Man, 2 weeks surfing in Tahiti with the best kneelos in the world-I'm like a 42 year old kid waitin' for Christmas to get here!

Ed Dimick
DarcyM

accomodations

Post by DarcyM »

that's the spirit Ed! Where's the rest of TEAM USA? Gotta be at least 15 or 20 of you guys who are so totally qualified to go to this event and rip! Just based on what I saw at Santa Cruz and OB. Not counting all you wild cards out there! :shock:

If anyone's interested in sharing living space, those bungalows that Tony posted sound pretty nice.

The one's with kitchen, if they're $115 per night and sleep four, that's only $28 US each. I'd be really interested in this ... not as cheap as the dorms but gotta be more comfortable (and secure). I'm looking at going from June 24th thru July 11. That's 17 nights or about $476. Anyone interested in sharing?
Team USA will definitely have to see about renting a small boat to take us out to some of those reef passes in between contest heats ... :P
dm

"Push the button, Max!"