Tahiti Worlds - Team USA

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

They caught the guy that ripped all those guys off, by the way...

I wouldnt call the contest conditions marginal at all, I'm looking out the window right now at some pretty damm fun 4-5 ft punchy lefts that go on for pretty far and some powerful bowly rights.

This is probably by far the best contest conditions I have seen in a very very long time...

EQ, I know all about your obsessions with baby oil... needless to say that you would need more than lubing up my board to get to beat me.

p.s. Teahupoo is probably crankin right now and I have heats to attend to... I'm still not missing out because there should be plenty of barrels next week.

Thanks
Albert
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Go get'em Albert. The whole KSUSA is rooting for you and Jack.
Bring it home.

Who got ripped off? I was really worried about the Freezin' Rican's because they had so much gear.

EQ

P.S. Who cut your hair?! :shock:
frencho
Local (More than 25 post)

Go team Puerto Rico

Post by frencho »

Go Team Puerto Rico!!!!!!! Viene muchachos a partir!!!!!! Albert dale mi apoyo a Ivan y a Camello.
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

Anyone know where Albert and Jack finished in the Open Men's Division? I see they unfortunately didn't make the final.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

I can't find the quarters or semi's winners anywhere... in any division.
If anyone has the story, please write it up.
EQ
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Albert got 7th and I think Jack placed ahead of him but not 100% sure
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
john -

Post by john - »

eqKneelo wrote: The whole KSUSA is rooting for you

is just seems that kneeboarders are having all the fun!!!

:wink:

dorje
merely labled
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

So they both made the semi's of the main event?
Very nice.
EQ

P.S. That's what it's all about, Dorje. :D
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I'm guessing that Albert got =7th and Jack got =5th...

Also, I think Scoop mentioned it... but those numbers for the Women's division seem to be the placings for each of the three heats. For example, Darcy won the 1st heat, got 2nd in the 2nd heat, then 4th in the 3rd heat.
DarcyM

home from Tahiti

Post by DarcyM »

For example, Darcy won the 1st heat, got 2nd in the 2nd heat, then 4th in the 3rd heat.
Hi guys -

I'm home from Tahiti, but can't say I had a wonderful time due to some trying experiences there and at home. I ended up changing my flight so I could get home early. However, after all is said and done I know I would have been disappointed if I hadn't gone. And I saw some amazing riding by all competitors, took about 14 rolls of film (will share soon) and met some really nice people from all over the world.

Bob - you got the numbers right as were listed in the contest results on the web site: they indicate placings in the three women's heats. It was a different format than I'd seen before, and I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to work, as it wasn't explained very well. This wasn't the best organized contest, as no one was sure what was going to happen from one day to the next. The Tahitians tried though, and some parts of the contest were amazing including the depth of sponsorship, opening ceremonies, and local coverage. Just certain things didn't quite work out as planned (or expected), including the weather.

Anyway, I apologize to all the US supporters for not doing my best or even better than average -- basically I choked in the last heat and couldn't find a good scoring wave then panic sets in and I think I got an interference as well. Going into the final heat I had a first and second, and was leading the women in total points. It was mine to lose, all I needed was a first or second in the last heat to win it all, but I couldn't connect on any length of ride and the two Tahitians sat on me for about ten minutes of the heat. My total score was crap, and when they averaged the placings they had to go to the total heat scores to get the final placings, and I ended up in third. Like I said, it was kind of a weird way to do it ... no excuse really, but it added to my disappointment.

I did make it to the semis of the Veteran's (mens) division, but bowed out of the semi heat in the hopes that it would help Bob to the final and to save myself for the next women's heat.

The day before the final day, they ran the tag team event, and then a women's only fun "expression session", which they ended up judging. The surf was smallish, but actually had cleaned up by the afternoon session. Cathy Price (women's champ) didn't surf the session, but all the other women did and some others jumped in as well. I didn't even know they were going to judge it (the expression session was put together last minute because some of the women wanted to compete in the tag team but there wasn't room for another team. As fate would have it, I caught one of the best waves of the day if not the contest and absolutely killed it. Something about being relaxed and surfing for fun ... the head judge told me later he scored me a 9.25 (out of 10) for that wave. So I ended up winning the expression session and scored a hat and t-shirt. Like I said, the contest was mine to lose ...

Thanks to Bruce Hart for a great board -- my new Flashpoint tri went great in a variety of wave conditions, and threw some big spray even on weak little waves.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Scott

Post by Scott »

and the two Tahitians sat on me for about ten minutes of the heat
Maybe I'm naive, being new to competiton, but do contestants do this sort of crap in kneelo contests, too? (I'm assuming you're talking about the other two working as a "team", padding along on either side of you in order to screen you out of any good waves--if you take off they immediately get you saddled with an interference call)

Darcy, we're all proud of your participation in Tahiti, even though you sound disappointed. It was fun seeing your scores against the guys, too! We'll look forward to your stories at future gatherings. Sorry it was not all a great experience...
DarcyM

contest hassling

Post by DarcyM »

Maybe I'm naive, being new to competiton, but do contestants do this sort of crap in kneelo contests, too? (I'm assuming you're talking about the other two working as a "team", padding along on either side of you in order to screen you out of any good waves--if you take off they immediately get you saddled with an interference call)
yeah, exactly. Bob had the same experience in the veterans semi, after I got out of the water the two Tahitians still in the contest teamed up on him for the remainder of the heat. Later I thought it might have gone better for him if I'd stayed out there and helped to spread it around a little. We'd even talked about doing that to them beforehand (only jokingly, though).

Other kinds of hassling goes on too ... I say I'm going left so you have to pull out then I turn and go right. Or maybe I take off or snake behind the peak and then end up behind another competitor to force them into an interference even though they don't even know you're there. It's uncool, but it happens. I've been guilty of some of that myself. If the waves are good or there's only a small number in the heat, there shouldn't be a need for that kind of "strategy". It's all part of the "game".
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
scoop

Post by scoop »

Hi Darcy

welcome back.... I hope everythink is ok on the homefront
Sorry to hear of your delemas at the comp...but I suppose ir being the top ...games will be played and with experience you will learn and move forward....I did mention in an earlier post that Cathie Prior was a great surfer and I am sure after reading your posts that if it came down to a one on one it would be really close
but mainly congratulations on your efforts and outcome .... you went...you surfed ...and really you dun well girl...stand up and be proud of your efforts
hope to see you in November

Tony
PS If I come this year will plan on comming to LA and driving up the coast and checking out the coast
might be on the lookout for hich-hikers...but leaving from SF....see what happends
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Darcy;
First were proud of your regardless :!: and welcome home. Second they could'nt beat you on surfing abillity alone, hence the games.
Hollow victory for them.

SiLL a Grom!
albert

Post by albert »

I hate to burst the bubble that some people might have when it comes to the purity of competition solely based on talent, but I can pretty much name at least three cases in each heat I was in throughout the worlds when that kind of stuff happened...

Please understand that in top stand-up level competition, any kind of hassling is looked down upon by everyone in that level nowadays... this has however not been the case for most of competitive surfing's history.

Therefore, we can call hassling an impure component of competitive surfing, but in the end... not hassling is what got me knocked out of the open mens heats. I did leave the water with a clear concience regarding that, however I also left the water with a tainted memory of my performance in these worlds, mainly because I didnt do everything in my power to win. I guess that kind of thinking leads to my actions in these worlds... All in all I am very happy with my overall results (dont get me wrong...)

However my point is (I guess) that hassling has been a part of competitive surfing for a long time... but it wont be for long. I remember talking to pretty much all the cadet age group competitors about all their heats and they all agreed that taking turns to catch waves during their heat was the accepted way to compete... not through hassling.

Evolution takes time, even in surfing...

Jet lag is a bitch.

Thanks
Albert