2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- need your input

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

I have started the planning for the 2004 Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival and have the following questions:

1. Which venue is better, Pleasure Point or Steamers Lane?

2. Tentative dates are 11/19-21, Are the tides good for PP or Steamers on those dates?

3. Any other comments or ideas would be appreciated.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Tom,

You will probably get alot of responses but here my 2 cents.

In term of venue steamers is better. It is almost always bigger then Pleasure point. It is likely the most consistent, most surfable break in the area, it has better parking, showers, safer access to the line up and is a classic surf amphitheater. There several main take off spots that could be used depending on swell size and wind conditions, there are hotels within walking distance of venue. If the worlds came to Nor.Cal it would be the spot of choice.

On the down side crowd control is a bit difficult because it is very popular, gallery viewing areas can be spread out abit, not as close to refreshments. It also plays second fiddle to Bolsa in Ler's mind. If he did come and rip it up then we would be seeing his pictures in the photo gallery for months :lol:

2. High tides are predicted in the early morning for dates in 6 foot range going to low in the mid to late morning. The tide swing does not look like more than 3 feet. Scott beat me to punch of posting the tides. Steamers does not like a real high tide but can be rideable if the swell has a enough juice in it. In my mind it at its best around 3 to 4 foot tide level. Those dates would likely be pretty decent for tide levels throughout most of the day.

3. I am looking forward to this years event. Thanks for putting up the effort on this!!!
Ler

2004 GATHERING

Post by Ler »

My vote would be the Point. I've surfed contests at the the Lane and they were nightmares. Theres no why to keep people out of the line up. The locals would flat snake the contest people, wave after wave. No dought the Lanes a great wave, but I would go with the Point. Post em if ya got em.

Ler
BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

I'm with Ler on the site choice Tom. The Lane might be bigger and better but dealing with the crowd could be a lot more of a hassle than just dealing with the other guys in your heat. I thought the crowd at the point was really well behaved and mellow, I only saw one contestant get dropped in on-alright it was broadcast on TV that night but that's beside the point.I think it would be worse at the Lane. Bill
PS Black's was good today,lumpy spring time peaks,overhead sets.....
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Yippeee, tentative dates! There's always waves around Thanksgiving! Tom, when the date's are set my vacation time request goes to the Boss. So, I'm in!!
I vote for the Point, then pray for surf. Don't want a crowd factor to put a damper on such a cool event.
Brad
Scott

The Lane!

Post by Scott »

The Lane is a better wave, true, particularly the first point, which provides a great inside section as well the outside. I think it would better showcase the considerable kneelo talent that would be present, as the waves at Steamers present varying options for speed, turning, lip bashing, or occasional tuberiding.

Tom, who can you speak with who helps to organize contests at the Lane who could give the straight facts if the non-contestants would try and screw everything up? Right now we're just projecting out worst fears--maybe they're not really true...

If we are going back to Pleasure Point again, is there any way to hold the contest at Sewer Peak instead--the waves were better there the entire time in our previous contest, and it's only 75 yard further up the Point. I know, it's harder to view, but it's certainly a much more kneeboardable wave when the swell is a bit smaller.

One things for certain: it's hard to imagine another contest in November with the surf as small as it was for this year, and yet we had a really good time in what there was at Pleasure's.
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

SHOW ME THE SURF ???

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:P :P I'M READY BABY
IF IT'S HALF AS FUN AS LAST TIME I'M STOKED DUDE'S :P

(( THIS TIME I GET MORE THAN A TWO WEEK NOTICE HA " HA "))

{{{{{{{ :twisted: GAME FACE IS ON }}}}} SPRING SUITE 2 ??
Craig

Gathering

Post by Craig »

I'm w/ Scott, I say we look into Steamers as 1st choice venue. Default to the point if doesn't work out. Either way it's gonna be a blast. 8)

Still a Grom!
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Either venue would be fine by me... I think we would be better served if we could move the comp to the first week or two in December. While the weather may be a little less cooperative the swell should be better.

My .02...
Don Harris
Jack Beresford

my vote

Post by Jack Beresford »

My vote is for Steamers. Even if non-competitors are a factor, I'd still rather surf the best wave available. If were serious about hosting the Worlds, this would be a great trial run - hell, I think we may get a bunch of overseas guys this year!

Another SoCal sweep?
Jack Beresford
stemple

Post by stemple »

Jack,

I think that is really nice that you are volunteering the so cal contingent to clean up after everybody leaves the contest area. Great spirit!!
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

I know the two options are steamer and pleasure but what about Moss Landing? I'ts going to be another fun event wherever it's going to be.
tomb
Ler

2004 GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Mr. Mutuny (if thats your real name) Whats this I here! Your working on a formally so man can finally breath underwater. Good luck. (coo coo). Let me know if I can help (yeah right).

Ler
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Tom, OK, local perspective. Any medium tides are good for the Lane and Pleasure Point. The Point has les bounce off the cliffs at high tide but in general, breaks better on south and west swells. The Lane is a better northwest swell direction which is what we will see at this time of year and the only bad wind is south westerly which is the rainy winds. If we can get a solid crowd control and If the hostles allow the few remaing kneeboarders to live after an invasion I would select the Lane. It is the superior site. My second choice is Sewer Peak. Mutiny's suggestion of Moss is great if you can finish each day by 12.00 because that's about when it blows out every day. I know it has it's exceptions but think OB and you have Moss, fickle.
Don't rule out Pleasure Point as the receptive contest vibes certainly make up for it's lack of quality of surf. It can get good and It did give us waves even when it was small.
You might have trouble getting a contest insured or sanctioned at the Lane, but I'm not sure. Surfhorn where are you on this one? I hope this helps. Jon