2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- need your input

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Ler
Legend (Contribution King!)

2004 GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Nicely said, Jon. I really think the locals at The Lane would show no respect for the contest or people in heats. I've seen first hand how they are twice. They put on rashgaurds or old contest jersy's. Snaking people, yelling, and making a joke out it. The last time I had a heat at the Lane. I had to dragged to car. The locals took it to the beach. There was alittle shoving and lots of screaming, it sucked. I would still do the contest at the lane, but be prepared. It sucks being snaked in a heat. The Pleasure Point crew was stoked, to have us. The only reason the waves were bad was lack of swell, it wasn't like Steamers was roping that weekend. I surfed the lane the contest weekend and it was small there too.

Ler
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Thanks Ler, I'm sorry you had such a bad experiance at one of my favorite spots but the sad thing is it only takes a few to wreck it for the many.
Ler

2004 GATHERING

Post by Ler »

Never even hint a problems free surfing and I've been at 12 or so sessions there. I know its a fun wave. On a high tide day, took off behind that rock wall thing and didn't make the corner, went straight into the wall of death. My board had at 20 little dings and cracked fin. I only hit my head so I was fine. The locals were laughing so hard they talked to me the rest of the session. It was cool & stuff....
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Mike if your talking about the inside point or second point from the rock I've got you beat there. That point come's into play during summer swells at the higher tides. The goal is to get past that point and finish a nice ride through the slot. I was closed out right in front and tried to back door my way out of trouble only to find myself being pushed up the cliff and then dropped on a ledge and left floundering on the tip of the point about 6 feet up the cliff dry docked. No harm but the next wave got my attention and I did my best imitation of super man and launched myself straight over the top of that on coming wave without injury. I,m sure if you surfed up here more you could top that. Jon
john mann
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

2004 Gathering

Post by john mann »

I would come down for a contest at Sewers,as it would bring back fond memories of the 70s.Are spots up north ,like 4 Mile, an option?
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

I don't think anything could top last year; The surf, the vibe, the crowd control, the efficency, and the JON MEL KING OF THE EAST SIDE factor made the Pleasure Point event one of the best contests ever. Having grown up in NORCAL, I think Steamers would be headache.
Now, Point Arena on the other hand....
eq
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Appreciate the input. Keep it coming. Surfhorn, John Mel, other SC locals, what are your thoughts?

I'm starting to think that we give Steamers a try this time around, then compare the two venues and choose the better of the two going forward.

I would love to go with Sewers but there is a big problem with visibility and the staging area. If someone knew of a big house in front of Sewers that was available to be the "kneelo crack house" for a week, maybe we could set-up there. SC Locals, any houses in front of Sewers available for our purposes?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Tom - I think I can pull off the house thing at Sewers. I'll let you know.

Just as long as we don't surf The Lane. Jon Manss has that place dialed....don't let him fool you!!!! lol
kbing since plywood days
Scott

Sewer Peak vs First Peak

Post by Scott »

Surfhorn Dan,

Now that's an idea! If we have The House to use as a staging area for smaller north swells so that we can use Sewer Peak (we'll have to rename it to something else--who's gonna travel hundreds of miles to surf a place that they erroneously think is connected to a sewer? How'zabout "Manns Reef"?), then we're all set in small surf up to about 6 feet. But the swell that time of year could certainly be bigger. Since SP tends to fall apart above 6' on NW swells, then we could still set up at the Point like we did for this last year's contest. If we had access to both spots, then I say we skip the Lane as a site.

Don, IMO early December runs a bigger risk of storm activity--a rain out would be worse than small surf.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Let me throw another variable into the works -- what about cost for securing permits/location? I remember some discussion last fall that securing a permit for Steamers would be considerably more expensive than for PP. If that is the case, I'd vote for the Point, because I think $60-$75 per person is the most you can reasonably charge for registration before people start to think the event's too expensive. Of course, it would be great if we get 100 kneelos to register to cover the increased cost of Steamers, but I wouldn't want KSUSA to jeopardize itself it people didn't register and it got stuck with a big bill.
Don
Admin

Re: Contest costs

Post by Don »

JohnS wrote:I think that regardless of the spot that gets picked, the registration fees should be enough to not only cover the costs but also make a few $'s to support KSUSA! Just my $.02,
--John
I like the way you think :mrgreen:
Don Harris
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

There's also the Hook - a couple of blocks down from the point. Often slightly smaller than the point but excellent parking :wink: . Actually it might be even cheaper than the point and the fundraising aspect for KSUSA is nice.
Jon Manss

Hi kage

Post by Jon Manss »

Kage If it is small at Pleasure Point it is flat at the Hook, as you know. I think the junior and high school comps go there only when the Point is to big then it is a great alternative.
gsurf

Post by gsurf »

Another local perspective as well.
The Lane would be a crap shoot in terms of crowds. If the swell is crappy then the "boyz" won't be much of a problem. If the swell is cranking then we're going to have problems especially since this won't be a BIG organized event like the Cold Water Classic.. The point seems to be much more accepting of contests.
Sewer peak would definitely by my preference if possible.